Alternator wiring modifications (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a old Man-a-fre hi performance alternator bolted on my 77 2f. It puts out about 90 amps. I want to beef up the wiring a little bit since I run a winch. One thing I did was delete the amp gauge and am installing a volt gauge instead. From what I understand I just run a heavy duty wire from the b+ on the alternator to the battery positive. Sound right? Instead of using a fusible link I was thinking of using a 120 amp circuit breaker. I was going to put it in line between the the b+ and batt+ cable. That sound ok? Where does the factory fusible link run? I don't recall seeing one on my harness.

You can leave the amp gauge alone since is shunted (not directly in line with the battery). the voltage meter can be taped anywhere. I wouldn't worry about adding a fuse - what ever circuit you tap will provide protection. Yes on the new HD wire from the alt B post to the battery. The fusible link(s) are/should be right at the + battery terminal. On a 2F it should be a single wire (originals are white) on a ring terminal that bolts to the battery cable and joint the wiring harness with a single connector. The 120amp slow blow fuse should do the trick. Consider using as least 2 ga. battery/welding cable with crimped or soldered terminals. Battery Cables, Battery Connectors & Accessories is one good source for battery cable components.

Assuming your truck battery is a lead acid battery they usually have a characteristic called "C10" which means that the battery will only accept a charge of 10% of its amperage capacity. Running a winch you'll get most of the amperage from your battery. So find out what your battery's "C" number is and the ampere hour capacity, multiply them and then see if your current cable from the alternator will handle that current or slightly more. You can cut down on voltage drops on a long run using a larger size wire but the short distance from alternator to battery on a cruiser makes the voltage drop near negligible. The battery to winch cable is different, I have a 9K and have used a clamp-on ammeter for full load tests seeing initial surges of 300-400 amps, I have a 400 amp fuse between my battery and winch and I also use 4/0 stranded cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom