Alternator rebuild kit source? Unsure of what's trustworthy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eicca

Professional Noob
Threads
Mom's 1999 was making a funny moaning noise yesterday, so I went and took a look. Definitely alternator side of the engine. With my stethoscope I couldn't hear it through the power steering pump, could kind of hear it through the tensioner, but I couldn't get the scope onto the alternator to test for sure.

The noise didn't change with electrical load, but did disappear when running the engine without the accessory belt.

Seems like it died a fast death cuz today the truck cranked weak, and then the battery was totally flat after wherever she drove.

I've got an old working alternator from that vehicle that I can rebuild in a hurry, but I'm not sure where trustworthy parts are to be found for this thing. Any input?

Video of the noise:

Thanks in advance.

Dealer reman alternators are ~$150 with a discount. Turn in your old one as a core, and be done with it. I would not mess around trying to rebuild it.

Installation is a bit annoying - I dropped mine out the bottom and only removed the PS pulley, not the entire PS pump. YMMV.

My source for alternator and starter parts. There's no reason you can't rebuild an alternator (or starter, for that matter) yourself; you're just swapping parts. The specifications are in the FSM, which is in the Resources section for free download. ASP had "kits" at one time, but now they're listing parts, so you have to buy what you need from your own list. Not a big deal, the kits were mainly an ordering timesaver. You didn't save/lose any money.

Once you test your alternator (yourself, not taking it to Autozone...), you'll know what you need. You typically need a rectifier and/or voltage regulator, brushes, and replacement hardware, like screws, nuts, etc. You'll know what you need by looking at the unit. If it works at all, you probably won't "need" a new stator or rotor. The only ifs are bearings, but if (no pun intended) you "need" bearings, you probably already know it. The tool syou need you already have; if you don't have a press, use your bench vise. If you don't have a bench vise...

Alternator & Starter Parts Wholesale:
1695781732170.png

I bought a OEM unit from a bone yard and used this kit
It works well.
I'm trying to figure out if I need to do the same again or rebuild the big box one I pulled out to have as a spare. It needs a rectifier.

The alternator I have is working, it's just old, so I'll just change everything I can.

Freaking local shop quoted $1400 to do the job. Ain't no way in hell I'm letting my parents pay that. They can live without the truck for a few days if it reduces the cost by $1350.

EDIT: The rectifier looks like another $100, meaning I may as well just get a RockAuto Denso unit if the rec needs to be changed.

But does it...? Like I said, the alternator I intend to rebuild is still working. I'm pretty sure it's the factory unit from the truck, I pulled it several years ago cuz it was starting to seem a little weak (lights dimming, etc).

Last edited:
Google doesn’t return anything specifically matching “toyotapartsonline,” what’s the url?

The alternator I have is working, it's just old, so I'll just change everything I can.

Freaking local shop quoted $1400 to do the job. Ain't no way in hell I'm letting my parents pay that. They can live without the truck for a few days if it reduces the cost by $1350.

EDIT: The rectifier looks like another $100, meaning I may as well just get a RockAuto Denso unit if the rec needs to be changed.

But does it...? Like I said, the alternator I intend to rebuild is still working. I'm pretty sure it's the factory unit from the truck, I pulled it several years ago cuz it was starting to seem a little weak (lights dimming, etc).
Don't confuse reman as the same thing as original parts that are rebuilt with genuine components.

I've had multiple brand new Denso parts DOA - specifically from Rock Auto. Brand new reman, even directly from Toyota are still just cleaned up used parts with a few new components in a pretty box.

I'm currently dealing with what appears to be a failed reman Toyota starter. Failed after only 30k miles and a few years. If you're very diligent and know what you're doing you can probably build a better "reman" starter or alternator at home than what you'd buy as a reman from Denso - or even Toyota.

Alright I gotta pull the trigger on the parts pretty quick here. Should I go for a rectifier or no? That'll add $100 on top of the $40 for the brush/bearing/regulator kit.

Alright I gotta pull the trigger on the parts pretty quick here. Should I go for a rectifier or no? That'll add $100 on top of the $40 for the brush/bearing/regulator kit.
Why not test it and know for sure?

Google doesn’t return anything specifically matching “toyotapartsonline,” what’s the url?
Sorry, I corrected my post above. Years ago it was called that and I keep confusing it. It is now toyota parts deal.
Here is the url

Well, the FSM has the procedure, so you don't have to search and search and search.

Finally got around to testing the rectifier and it's good, so I just ordered the $40 rebuild kit from Maniac.

I'd like to clean the crud out of the rotor while it's apart. I assume some CRC electronics or MAF cleaner would do the trick, yeah?

Parts from Maniac just arrived and the voltage regulator is a Transpo brand.

I'm not getting the best vibes from what I'm reading around the interwebs, seems like Transpo is more along the lines of cheap Chinesium universal parts than anything.

I've seen firsthand what a bad voltage regulator can do to a vehicle and it's not making me any more comfortable installing this in my mom's 100. Any insight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom