Alternator Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm hoping someone here can give me some guidance on my alternator. I have owned my 40 for a few years and it has a mixture of parts from different years. The motor is from a 79. Recently my alternator started to fail and I ordered a replacement based on the year of the motor. When I got the re manufactured Toyota part it has a different connection than the one that connects to my wiring harness. The sticker that states the model number is damaged and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could source the correct alternator. My wiring harness has a 2 wire connector and the one that I ordered has a 3 plug connector.
\
alternator 1.jpg

alternator 2.jpg
this is the partial model number
alternator 3.jpg
this is the replacement that I got

any help would be greatly appreciated.

FWIW - I took my '77 OEM alternator to BP Rebuilders in Marietta, and they did a great job.

ACC - Engine before installation.jpg

Hi - if you have some tools and know the basics of an alternator, you can rebuild it yourself.
New brushes, front and rear bearings, and cleaning the insides should be enough.
Rob

I also bought a three prong alternator that has an external regulator but my vehicle used a two prong with internal regulator and single pulley (81 '40).

I cannot find a single pulley alternator in stock anywhere with the internal regulator.

Will the double pulley alternator work or will the alignment of the pulleys be off? I was planning on using one pulley to run compressor, water pump and alternator (no smog or power steering).

Thanks,

CD

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom