Intro / Alternator Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum, the rules said I had to post an introduction, so here I am. Howdy.

I've got a question pertaining to the alternator/regulator of an FJ40 I'm doing some electrical work on. This thing has had many owners and the wiring has been modified a bit by other people. Certain parts also don't match the diagrams I've found online, and most of it just flat out doesn't make any sense.

I've got the engine re-wired well enough that it starts and runs, but I'm wondering if my alternator/regulator are set up right? This is how they were when the customer brought it to me, but I can't seem to get a voltage reading off of the alternator, and I'm having a hard time making sense of whatever is going on with this regulator setup.

Attached is a diagram I drew of how it was wired originally, along with some pictures to help make some sense of this thing. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Hit post before I could attach the pictures. Whoops.

Screen Shot 2023-10-05 at 12.44.58 PM.png

IMG_4968.JPG

IMG_4969.JPG

I would start with blowing up the wiring diagram to at least A size the one that fits your unit best. Have several made, use one for your working unit to make correction. Transfer all the good info to the spare. On the spare's back write down all your: part #'s, tune up specs, torque settings etc. then have it laminated.

Somewhere here on the site is listing for wire with factory color codes and plugs. They are little wire labeling machines so you could the whole system with like 6 colors

So, why do you think it is the wiring and not the gauge itself that is not working?

Curious ?

can we see the Alternator too here ?

especially the back side were the Plugs go ?

- i DO see 1 huge RED FLAG , but first lets see the UNIT and hows you have it mounted ?

per haps a year make and modle toyota would be helpful here too ?

this is what i do and how i do it ..... :)

View attachment 3448191
It's a 1976, seemingly a very low trim model. My mistake for forgetting that, I was in a hurry to get this post made and rush out the door this morning.

I can grab a picture of the alternator in a bit, but the diagram I drew up is meant to represent the back side where everything plugs in. I'll be headed back down to the shop later this evening and I'll grab a few pictures then.

So, why do you think it is the wiring and not the gauge itself that is not working?
The gauge works fine (or at least it did a week ago when it rolled into my shop). I'm redoing the entire wiring harness on this thing and need to set it up so it'll charge the battery properly. The new harness I built is very different from the original, the original was a total rats nest that didn't even match up with the diagrams I've found (at least not in the alternator/regulator area).
I'm sure the alternator is fine, I would just like to make sure that I have it wired up to the regulator properly, as I don't want to cause any damage to the batteries. I can't even tell which lines feed the regulator and which lines are supposed to produce 12v power... the way it's wired up is a confusing mess.
Alternatively, it's not out of the question to just upgrade it to aftermarket parts, so that's also an option if you guys have any aftermarket suggestions.

It's a 1976, seemingly a very low trim model. My mistake for forgetting that, I was in a hurry to get this post made and rush out the door this morning.

I can grab a picture of the alternator in a bit, but the diagram I drew up is meant to represent the back side where everything plugs in. I'll be headed back down to the shop later this evening and I'll grab a few pictures then.

is it mounted in the Drivers Side Lower Front Location ?

or

passenger Side Upper Location ?

like this :

or like that ?

(.12) - Copy.jpg

D21A4E70-F514-46A0-8C7F-DE4D0BC9B2F6.jpeg

The ??? is a condenser to improve noise on your radio ( if you can hear it over the engine).
The black-yellow should go to the engine fuse and so you should read 12v on it.
Do you have this diagram already?

20231006_211035.jpg

The ??? is a condenser to improve noise on your radio ( if you can hear it over the engine).
The black-yellow should go to the engine fuse and so you should read 12v on it.
Do you have this diagram already?

View attachment 3448929
I did not have that wiring diagram, the one I had looked different. Would it be possible to get you to send me that version?

I ended up just switching to a 10si, swapped the pulley and made a new mounting bracket.
The harness rebuild turned out great, I'll post an update once the video is made.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom