Alternator burning up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ive got a 71 with a chevy 350. i replaced the old alternator that worked perfectly fine till it died of old age with a reman ac/delco. hooked it all up, checked voltage, every thing good. drive down to the store and when iam coming back the alternator is very hot and smoking, so hot i spit on it and it sizzled. whats goin wrong?

Field coil hooked up improperly (always on) or bad voltage regulator. What kind of Delco?

just found out that the old alternator was internally regulated and the new is external. now ive got to find out how to wire a voltage regulator up, any one know?

Alternator ID or better yet a picture of its backside would help you get a good anwser.

Sounds like an old 10DN. GM alternators since 71 have been internal regulator. It is probably easier to take it back and get a 10 or 12 SI internally regulated alternator. If you still have the Toyota regulator it will work, but it may need adjustment by bending the tab that holds the spring. The white wire with the green stripe (F lug on regulator) will go to the F lug on the alternator.

yeah you need to go back and get a 12 si internal reg alt. You would be taking a step backwards if you hook up that mechanical regulator. see if they have a higher amperage one available so you have the option to run more stuff later.

i just took back the new alternator and voltage reg to the store and got a internal regulated alternator, problem solved. man, i dont think sometimes:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom