Alternative to ACC for Repairs? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another for Patrick at GAS. I called ACC before I met Patrick and despite their incredible reputation, was put off by objectively higher prices than the Lexus dealer would have charged for maintenance items like timing belt/water pump. I imagine it had to be due to having too much work but IMO, I'd rather they had just said that.

Took my truck to Patrick instead and haven't looked back. He's getting mine again this week to charge up my AC.

@MongooseGA I think you may be confused at how a small shop operates. ACC doesn't charge more because they have too much work. They have hourly rates and charge what they do because of their expertise in a niche field. They don't have the staffing resources of a dealership operation either. It's just 5 people including the owners. They don't adjust their rates based on who is calling or how busy they are.

@MongooseGA I think you may be confused at how a small shop operates. ACC doesn't charge more because they have too much work. They have hourly rates and charge what they do because of their expertise in a niche field. They don't have the staffing resources of a dealership operation either. It's just 5 people including the owners. They don't adjust their rates based on who is calling or how busy they are.

I understand supply and demand. If they didn't have consistent business, their pricing would be lower to ideally achieve an equilibrium. GAS is the owner, his wife as admin occasionally and 3-4 techs. My intent wasn't to badmouth ACC as I know plenty of people who swear by them, but when they received my call they just didn't earn my business. The woman who answered was friendly enough but seemed a bit flustered, no biggie though- not a deal breaker. Pricing was $1600 vs $1200 at the dealer (infamous for high rates)- that's a 30% premium for a maintenance item and to have scheduled with ACC would have been weeks, not 'whenever you'd like'. I also had a $600 premium for them to install my DT headers vs my indy. I was really anxious to have work done at ACC as I know they're a sort of hub for all things Cruiser in the area, but I didn't need to meet them that badly.

Last edited:
I dont blame ACC, get it while the gettin is good. If I had a large resto mod project with the cash to match I'd trust them over any shop in the SE. Many of us are budget conscious weekend warriors and just don't fit into that ultra premium category.

I dont blame ACC, get it while the gettin is good. If I had a large resto mod project with the cash to match I'd trust them over any shop in the SE. Many of us are budget conscious weekend warriors and just don't fit into that ultra premium category.
Absolutely. Custom fab work, full custom vehicles or turn-key builds- that's specialty stuff and someone could be shooting themselves in the foot by taking that kind of project to a regular technician. If I were doing an SAS on my 100, ACC would get it. For maintenance, I'm OK.

I love ACC. They’ve always been awesome to my brother and me.

This is a very old thread but I found it when searching for somewhere in the Atlanta area, Marietta specifically, to look at what I hope to just be the kickdown cable issue on the transmission of my '90 62. I found Craig Automotive referenced, live near there, and have heard good things from neighbors about them with Toyotas. Called a while ago to confirm they could look at it, hooked up the 62 to the 200 today and had my wife pull me there. Coasted in and the guy said he couldn't look at anything "that old" so now it's sitting there waiting for ACC to tell me they've got room for me to tow it there and get it fixed. Just a heads up for anyone else that comes across this thread through a search engine.

Tom (Craig Automotive) works on my 2013 Land Cruiser, my 2021 Tundra, my 2006 X-Runner and my oldest 1999 5-speef 4Runner. He would not work on my 1976 BJ40 Land Cruiser, took it to Marrian Automotive and he was great with the old Land Cruiser!

I love his honesty and not trying to sell me crap i do not need!

Yep... I will vouch for Peter Merriam as well. He will work on any Toyota or Honda, but especially loves old Land Cruisers. His daily driver is a FJ60.

Does a great job, fair price, and and honest guy!!

Merriam Automotive
3568 Buford Hwy # 105
Duluth, GA 30096
(770) 814-7516

If you are on the west side of Atlanta I would recomend Patrick Greer at Greer Automotive services. Not sure how old of Land Cruisers he will work on, but I have had some work done on my LC200 and he did a good job. I saw some FJ60's in his shop when I was there.

Greer Automotive Services
815 Jamerson Rd
Marietta, GA 30066
(678) 540-7131

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom