Alaska Cruiser Trek 2006 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

devo said:
Mark,
As I envision myself going on the ACT and making travel plans (time + distance) I was wondering about the starting point.
Will it be Anchorage or somewhere else?

devo

The Trek will leave the road within 10 miles of the Eureka Roadhouse. Maybe as close as a mile from it. We will most likely return to the road within the same 10 miles of the Roadhouse. If everything went perfectly both during the Trek AND the final scouting trips next summer, we *might* return to the road about 30 mileswest of Eureka. I'm not real hopeful about this option though.

Eureka Roadhouse is about 130 miles out of Anchorage on the Glenn Highway. This puts it about 90 miles out of Palmer. The Glenn runs east/northeast from Anchorage to Glennallen. Glennallen is another 50 or so miles up the highway from Eureka. Glennallen is at the junction of the Richardson and the Glenn Highways. You'll have to go through there on your way up.

We'll be starting first thing in the AM on Day One. As I sit here right now I'm thinking may an early breakfast att the roadhouse befoe we hit the trail. In any case we'll be starting at Eureka on Day One. Us locals will either make the run out from Palmer or Anchorage real early, or more likely pitchcamp overnight at one of the commonly used turnout/trailheads along the highweay in this area.

Most people would probably be better off to do the additional 90 miles into the Palmer/Wasilla area for a night before returning to Eureka to start the trip. Other than the roadhouse (w/fuel) there is nothing in Eureka. Glennallen has limited services and facilities. Palmer/Wasilla has everything that you'll find in most any town in the 48. Including groceries, auto parts, lauandrys, hotels and all of the things you might be looking for after a road trip like this will be.

And as I've mentioned before you will be a lot happier if you budget a down day between arriving and hitting the trail.

Mark...

Where are you planning to go more specificly ?
Would Tok be far away ( less than 300 miles ?)
I am trying to figure a good spot to leave tow rig and trailer and I am quite fond of the sourdough campground.
I say we all meet up at Chicken , Al. , ever been there ?

Yep. I fully understand both the mileage and the time constraints that this represents for everyone. :(

I know that some of the guys looking at coming up can't take more than a limited amount of time for the entire trip. And it's completely up to you when and how you arrive here. And this is only a reccomendation. But I'm sure that the folks who've come up before will chime in and say the same. A day (or at least most of one) to relax and resupply would be a big plus in your enjoyment of the Trek.

Mark...

It's nice to hear about the majority of the run being in the Eureka area. I like it there. The run is definitely on in my mind and every day is now consumed with thoughts of the expedition and the rig I'll prepare for it. I'd like to check out the Kennewick mine again. Maybe on the way up if we make good time. I wonder if there is much trail beyond "Dumbass Draw"

Mark, I'm thinking of putting together a PZJ75, turboed on locked 60 series axle, SO on flat springs and helper airbags. I'll likley run a p-metric version of a 36-12.5/16". DO you figure a slightly more trailworthy version of the attached pic will conquor the parts of the Eureka highlands that I haven't seen yet but you'll lead us into?
70_series_camper_conversion.jpg

devo said:
How much DEET is recomended per day?

devo
Deet is ineffective. If the bugs are bad you must learn the zen art of ignoring them. I don't think there is any way to beat them, but if you pretend that they aren't there they stop bugging you. That worked for me untill they got so thick I had trouble breathing. Then I panicked and covered myself in diesel.

peesalot said:
Where are you planning to go more specificly ?
Would Tok be far away ( less than 300 miles ?)
I am trying to figure a good spot to leave tow rig and trailer and I am quite fond of the sourdough campground.
I say we all meet up at Chicken , Al. , ever been there ?

Specifically? We'll leave the road system at Eureka Roadhouse. Trail starts then. Not backroads or anything like that. Trail. We'll proably hit the old Nelchina Townsite the first day. Maybe overnight there depending on how long it takes to et there. We'll head up the Little Nelchina River. Maybe leave the river to climb Monument. From there head through Cameron Pass to reach Flat Creek and rejoin the Little Nel'. Head through the hills to reach Red Fox Creek to Tyone Creek. Downstream to Daisy Creek. Head to White Hills. Then Yacko Creek to Sanona River. Crosssome more high ground to the Little Oshetna River. Then to the Big Oshetna. Cross the shoulder os Twin Hills to Crater lake. Downto and cross the Black River. Head over to Busche Creek. Tehn recross the Balck downstream and go around Square lake. Uo the Big O' to Gold Creek. Climb through Gold Creek to the head of the Little O'. Maybe connect through from there to the head of Mazuma Creek and from there follow Caribou Creek to Divide Creek. Up to Hick's Lake and then follow Hick's Creek to the Road. Maybe don't make the Lil' O' to Mazuma Connection and instead head through Horsepasture Pass back to the lil' Nel. Run the Lil' Nel dowanstream to the road.

Or maybe not. ;)
In fact it is almost certain that there will be differences from that. We probably will be deciding the actual route and stopping points each night on the fly. It will depend to a gret extent on the abilities of the group, the group desires and how fast we are covering ground on any given day.

Anyway, we won't be near anywhere except named terrain features once we start.

Eureka Roadhouse is a fine place to leave a trailer. Folks do it all the time.

It's probably right at 150 miles from Tok.

Chicken would quite a bit off the track for folks who are worried about time constraints. :(

Mark...

Last edited:
lowenbrau said:
Deet is ineffective. If the bugs are bad you must learn the zen art of ignoring them. I don't think there is any way to beat them, but if you pretend that they aren't there they stop bugging you. That worked for me untill they got so thick I had trouble breathing. Then I panicked and covered myself in diesel.

Actually Deet is the only thing that works. I go straight to the 100% stuff.

The mosquitos in this area really are not that bad this time of year.

But I am almost imune to mosquitos myself. Drives my wife nuts, 'cause she most certainly is not. I don't hardly feel them when they bite and I don't swell or itch.

Mark...

lowenbrau said:
It's nice to hear about the majority of the run being in the Eureka area. I like it there. The run is definitely on in my mind and every day is now consumed with thoughts of the expedition and the rig I'll prepare for it. I'd like to check out the Kennewick mine again. Maybe on the way up if we make good time. I wonder if there is much trail beyond "Dumbass Draw"

Mark, I'm thinking of putting together a PZJ75, turboed on locked 60 series axle, SO on flat springs and helper airbags. I'll likley run a p-metric version of a 36-12.5/16". DO you figure a slightly more trailworthy version of the attached pic will conquor the parts of the Eureka highlands that I haven't seen yet but you'll lead us into?

Kennicott Mine. Neat place. Well worth a side trip for sight seeing if you have the time.

There's about 20-25 miles of trail beyond Dumbass Draw to reach an abandoned mining camp. Ruins of a bunkhouse or two, a stabble, machine shop and a bath house. A couple of unidentifiable buildings and a couple of still standing cabins that area hunter use. IF you can get across the river there, there is a long steep climb up to the top of a nearby peak (switch backs and washouts and scary stuff) to the actual minesite up on top.

Absolutely beautiful country back there. Well worth the bash through the brush to reach The Draw. It starts getting less abusive to the rigs right about there and prettier too.

My bet is that the landslide that had closed the trail just beyond where we reached that run has been shoveld open by now. I haven;t been back up there myself though.

For most of the run a "trailified" version of a rig like that would do "okay". Remember the mud we encounterd getting up the hill from the Little O', and all the way up Yacko Creek?

But... Some of the trails that we'd like to hit this time around will make that look dry and firm. :( And to make it all the way up Gold Creek and out the top of the canyon will entail real rock crawling. Not world class rock crawling, but possibly a bit much for a top heavy camper..

But I am already consdiering the possibility that we will have to send the lesser rigs around Those that can will travel through the canyon. About 8-10 miles. Those that can't will make a 30 or so miles loop around the hills to connect via the rivers and meet the others at the other end. I'm hoping not to have to do it this way, bit if we get rigs that are more expedition oriented than performance tuned then we'll have to adjust things to suit.

Mark...

Or when it frosts the plastic face of a watch. Or the Deet on their hands after an overly enthusiastic application starts melting their styrofoam cup of coffe... ;)

Mark...

We have been discussing this trip and had a couple of questions. We would like to go, but are curious as to what vehicle is best suited to do this. Ideally we will leave after Rubithon and take our time getting to AK. We would most likely be trailering a cruiser up there just to insure a timely arrival and a little more comfort. We read your minimums, but what our question is, is what is suggested?

The minumums seem to lack your opinion of what you would like to see. Is this something better suited to a truck with stock running gear and 35's?? Or maybe something with HP and 40's or 42's? I like my 40, but big tires and low gears get kinda old after many many miles. The J73 is way more comfortable, but less capable. Just curious as to what is better suited. How many miles in 7-8 days are you planning? I know this sounds weak, but what is the weather like in July? Is there a lot of rain? I ask as the 40 has only a bikini top... Is it freezing cold? I have looked at weather averages, but I was curious as to personal opinion. It is 3100 miles to the Eureka Roadhouse from here and just would like to know which truck to put on the trailer in a perfect world.

On a side note, is there a suggested route home other than 97? I just did 97 last month and will do it again, just looking for a change of scenery on the way back. Anything good on the east side of the rockies? Anyways thanks for the time, just trying to get the ducks in a row.

In a perfect world?

I would love to see a group of about 10 FJ40s. All SOA with 38s and larger (boggers of course). V8 powered, snorkeled and water proofed to handle 4-5 feetof water depth. with AL tubs and soft/bikini tops to save weight. Locked at both ends with steep gears. Driven by guys happy to eat MRES and drink creek water for a week of 18 hour trail days, sleeping under the stars and just rolling under the rigs if it starts to rain. ;)

We could cover some serious ground and tackle some NASTY trails with a group like this. !!!

But realistically that's not the group of rigs we will probably see and the folks who make it up are not gonna be pure hardcore exploring fanatics.

A good part of the locals who will be out for this will not have over the top hardcore rigs. The folks who drive their rigs up will not be pushing this sort of rig up the Alaska Highway. And for most of the distance over the trails we will be playing on these sort of rigs are not called for.

And folks are going to want to spend time relaxing and enjoying their surroundings more than they could if we were really pushing hard to explore completely new terrain.

I expect that we will see a large portion of the rig that make it to the trailhead will be more expedition oriented than dedicated to all out trail performance. And again, for most of the distance this will not really be a handicap. We'll be refining the route and the places we try to get to based on the type of rigs and drivers that actaully show up.
Assuming that we will have some rigs that are a bit more trail capable and guys that have a larger streak of vehicular adventurism running through them we will probably have a day or two where the rigs that might not be as mud/rock/deepwater capable can stay in camp and the more built rigs can do a more challenging day trip. Or as I've refered to above, possibly split into two groups to take different route on one or two occasions.

If it was totally based on my personal opinion of the kind of rigs I'd like to have out there and the trails I'd like to tackle... The more radical the rig the better. But the minimums are set so as to NOT rule out rigs that people will be willing and able to drive up the highway to join us.

Mark...

Oh yeah... Weather. Generally during this time of year in this region it is wrm, dry and sunny. In the middel of the "night" or at higher elevations or in the immediate locale of a glacier (we probably won't see this situation except possibly on a "hard core" day trip out of base camp) it is cool enough that you'll want a light jacket. Maybe a sweatshirt under a mil-surplus field jacket for example).

It's always possible that we will see overcast and rain with cooler temps. But it is unusual in early-mid July in this particular region.

Mark...

The trail mileage that we cover will be in the end determined by the rigs and the people who are out there and what our attitude winds up being.

We will probably average about 20-40 miles a day while we are out there. A couple of days will probably be significantly lower if we hit some of the trails I am hoping to. Possibly one or two days that cover much more.

Mark...

Thanks for the info. I like your idea of a perfect world a lot. A few other questions if you dont mind. And by the way we are very serious about going. You had mentioned Palmer as a potential start point. Is Palmer a good "tourist spot" or would you recomend anywhere else if we were to stay a few days before? We would like to get there early and check it out. After the trip we are going to Dutch Harbor so does that make anchorage to closest place to catch a ferry or flight? I am planning on spending a month or so in AK and am trying to make the most of it. You mentioned that it would/should be safe to leave the truck and trailer at the Roadhouse. What about in Palmer if we wanted to leave from there?

A couple questions about camping in AK.. Is it like here where you get a forest permit or blm permit and you can pretty much go wherever is public property? I have gone through the lovely process of bringing guns into Canada, but does your state have issues entering into? Any rules against shotguns or rifles? One last question for now... How much beer do you guys take on this trip? I think thats what will decide if i bring the midwheelbase or the 40.... Thanks for all of your info and I cannot wait to sign up.

The more questions that people ask here the better. :)

Palmer is not really a "Start point" for the Trek itself. It's just sort of a handy rally point for the local folks in Anchorage and those of us in the Palmer-Wasilla area. It's the last gas/grocery/whatever on the way out to the trail.

IMHO all of the "tourist stuff" is well outside of the city (Anchorage). So there really isn't any disadvantage to staying in Palmer or Wasilla. Not any really advantage either I guess. Anchorage has a couple of very nice hotels. Wasilla has a couple of decent ones (by Alaskan hotel standards anyway). Plenty of bed and breakfast type setups in Palmer-Wasilla. A couple of "motor home" typecampgrounds too.

Palmer and Wasilla are about 10 miles apart, both about 40 miles out of Anchorage).

You won't be catching a ferry to Dutch Harbor. Not any that run that way and it would be a loing slow ride if they did. Several hundred miles. All commercial flights come and go out of Anchorage International Airport.

If you want to leave your tow rig and trailer in town, the best bet is to drop them off at my shop in Wasilla.

You don't need any sort of permit to camp on or travel across public land in Alaska. Except in the lands locked up by the national park nazis. But there's really no reason to deal with them for the most part because there's better places to go anyway. ;)

Alaska is the least restrictive state in the Union when it comes to gun laws. Unless it is outlawed or restricted by federal regulations (machine guns, bazookas and the like) then it's your own business. I can't recall ever even being asked about firearms when I've entered Alaska at the border and I've never had a cop bat an eye when I inform them that I'm armed during a traffic stop or whatever. We have no registrations requirements and we have license free concealed carry (some regulations pertaining to the proper way for law abiding citizens to do so legally and a license program in place to facilitate concealed carry in states that honor permits from other states).

The Alaska Cruiser Crew is more likely than not to have no beer on any of our regular "local folks" runs. On the Treks there is usually a bit which gets consumed around the campfire in the evenings. But that not much really.

Mark...

The only obligation to going to AK aside from the trek would be a short visit to Dutch to see family. Aside from that it sounds too cool. Cant wait to read more and let us know where to apply/register. We are going to do our best to do as many cruiser runs as we can next year. AK is the only one that requires more planning and unknowns. Moab at 900mi is down the street compared to AK at 3000mi. Kind of sucks to leave the bazookas at home though. And the lack of beer is daunting so maybe the Jack will work... It is sounding more and more like the 73 is the way to go with a hardtop, HP and heater/AC. I will work on the 38s for you though. Thanks again for the answers.

It seems like there may have been a bottle of something or other along on ACT2003. I'm not sure because the night that I think it came out, I was about 15 miles away, sunk in a river on the way back on a 60 mile round trip run to the trail head for parts.

Alcohal just doesn't play much of a part in our runs. So far as I am aware of, none of our crew has any problem with having some along on a run. We just don't normally bring any.

It probably goes without saying that any drinking while on the trail will not be acceptable. Out and out drunkeness in camp will not be either, but it is expected that a few beers will be opened around the camp fire in the evening.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom