Alaska Cruiser Trek 2006 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DHONDAGOD said:
got my trails today and this looks interesting. what are the logistics of trailering a rig from central calif? where to park tow-rig and trailer, someone mentioned ferries, etc.. i have the summer off for the first time since high school and am working on estimating fuel and transportaion cost. my fj40 is 2f,sm465,dana 300, 4:11's, welded rear, 36" radial tsl's but would probley have a fresh set of 36" iroks for this trip. would love to take my (by then) 15 year old son on this.

I would imagine trailering from California wouldn't be much of a problem if you have the time. The ferries are mentioned because they're a very scenic, and relaxing, way to make the trip up here.

As far as tow rigs go, if you can drive your '40 on the street, the tow rig would be best left at someone's shop. The talk is about possibly coming out on a road 300 or more road miles from where the group puts in. Not exactly a short jaunt up the road to where the trailer's parked.

The area and route(s) we will be using will put us returning to the road either at the same trailhead we leave the road it, at one within 10 miles of there, or if we get very lucky, at one about 35 miles away.

The contemplations of returning far from our original trailhead are for another time. :(

Tow rigs, trailers and gear that would be unneeded on the trail can be left at the shop in Wasilla if anyone wishes. Leaving rigs/trailers are the Eureka Roadhouse (about a mile for the trailhead we will start at) is a good option too.

Mark...

ODDBALL said:
What are you guys talking about this woman is so wild? I must see her NOW! :bounce2: I will do my best to make this run with all who come out for an adventure!

It's not so much glacier 13 itself. It's the "glacier Goddess that resides therein. Apparently she's tight with the Cruiser Gods. John started chopping out some ice for his cooler while he was parked up on top. As soon as he did, everything seemed to fall apart. in the space of 15 minutes and a radius of about 100 yards, we had two slashed tires, a rig stuck in the river, a rig dropped in a cravasse, two broken birfields, a set of sheared full floater hub dowels, a burnt out winch, a broken winch cable, a gas tank half full of water, a tranny adapter ripped off of a bellhousing and a trashed clutch.

You DON'T want to PO the Cruiser gods or their mythical buddies. ;)

Mark...

We've had 12-16 rigs each of the three times we have hosted the Trek. In 2003 only 3 of those were from Outside. The participation will probably be limited to a max of 20 rigs this year. Less would be better. Trying to figure out how to keep the Alaskan:Outsider ratio low. But don't really want to tell anyone that they can't come. :(

Mark...

Act 2006

aaahhhh yes, i do remember this. Dueling winches, my favorite song!!
Easy%20boy%20easy%20now[1].jpg

does this help?

I live in Bellingham, here's the 40
its got arb's, 350, front disc, winch and this trip is one great excuse to go wild with some more(o/d, rear disc, aux fuel tank, seats... this trip sure has me thinkin' hard about my summer plans!!

Last edited:
Mark W said:
We've had 12-16 rigs each of the three times we have hosted the Trek. In 2003 only 3 of those were from Outside. The participation will probably be limited to a max of 20 rigs this year. Less would be better. Trying to figure out how to keep the Alaskan:Outsider ratio low. But don't really want to tell anyone that they can't come. :(

Mark...

Well, the wife may be with child, so my plans may have changed. I fall into the outsider category, even though I was born there.

mikruiser said:
I live in Bellingham, here's the 40
its got arb's, 350, front disc, winch and this trip is one great excuse to go wild with some more(o/d, rear disc, aux fuel tank, seats... this trip sure has me thinkin' hard about my summer plans!!
Your 40 is nice! I like that color & the way it's set up. My next project will be a 40,60 or 80. :D

Mark W said:

Mark...
How do you do your larger runs? If im out with 3-6 good rigs & drivers I don't worry much cause I know they can handl what we run... Have you ever had guys & girls team up by 2's or 3's? I can't wait to get back in Eureka & spend a week or longer! :D

We've only held the Trek three times. The first had the largest number of non-Alaskans. We had some birthing pangs but overall it went pretty smoothly. We had some really good quality participants. That makes all the difference. The second and the third event were dominated by Alaskans who all knew each other and had all run together before. Still a good quality greoup of people.

This time around I'm hoping and expecting to have a turnout which has a higher ratio of outsiders and maintains the high quality of people that we have had in the past. From feedback I have gotten from folks I know and/or who have been here before I'm expecting that this will almost certainly be the case.

When I say "high quality" I mean; People who have a decent amount of wheeling experience and above average wrenching ability. Folks who have a pretty good idea what their rig is capable of and what they are capable of. More importantly people who have a positive attitude and get along well with the others around them. Folks who want to see what's over the next ridge and are not afraid of running a trail that the guides have never run either if that is offered. Folks who look at a breakdown as simply something to deal with and not as a reason for histronics or drama. Folks who enjoy being as remote as we can manage and don't spend the week wishing for a campground with facilities. Folks who are NOT out to prove how macho they can be or what a Big Dog their rig is. People who are real and not a facade of talk with little to back it up.

So far this is what we have had in all three Treks. Just plain old Good People.

Anyway this is what has made the fairly large group managable. IIRC we had the high number (16) one year and have been at the 12 rig number for the other two. My ideal number for this run would below this lower number if the only consideration was effecient travel over the trail.

Splitting into smaller groups is at best awkward for this run. There will not normally be different options in route choice to get everyone to the same camp at the end of the day. And the group dynamics are the best part of the Trek.
This year we may take a closer look at splitting the group for at least one day. One of the stretches of trail will be following a canyon from it's terminus at a larger river all the way to it's origin in the alpine tundra foothills of the Talkeetnas. Only about a ten mile run. But it may be a bit technical for the heavier expedition style rigs and/or the folks with less adventerous off road experience. So we *may* split into two groups and send those folks on a 35 mile route down and up a couple of rivers to meet us at the other end where we drop back down. We won't know for sure how we will handle this until the time arrives.

We will also have a couple of planned days where camp will not shift. We can take day trips out from camp on those days which can be a little more challenging since everyone will not have to negotiate this section. Those will also give people some time for non-vehicular acrtivities or just relaxing around the camp if they prefer. This will be a bit of a change from the previous Treks where the goal was to move on every day. But since we got some really casual starts almost every day during those Treks (and generally had at least a day of downtime due to breakage) we will still cover as much or (probably) more ground than in the past.

In terms of breaking in to teams... We won't be sending anyone down the trail without someone who knows the area and is experienced enough to be called a "guide". We don't have a real large pool to draw from. Currently I am the only one in the Alaska Cruiser Crew who has run all of the trails we will be using in 2006. I've been spending time finding new (to us) and seldom used trails and have been pretty sucessful. ;)
Some of the Crew is perfectly capable and confident about setting out down unknown trails with a couple of outsiders in tow (and would jump at the chance). But others would probably pass on the responsibility. ;)
If we split it will likely be into two groups for a little while but not much more than that.

Mark...

Sounds like a smooth way to do a large long run... Drop me a line. I have a few parts for you. :cool:

WOW !!! 2000 views and the thread has only been going for 13 days.

Come awn who's gonna commit??????????????????

It's gonna be fun and I'm sure there will be plenty of DAY! trips heheheheh

G.

If you guys have room I will be out with you. I have most anything you can need on the trail to fix a rig. Good to see people hungry for ALASKA!
Cnv0198.jpg

Last edited:
if I wasnt leaving in january for NC, i'd think about it..perhaps in the future though. :)

akcruzers said:
WOW !!! 2000 views and the thread has only been going for 13 days.

Come awn who's gonna commit??????????????????

It's gonna be fun and I'm sure there will be plenty of DAY! trips heheheheh

G.

I'm there whether you guys want me or not. :flipoff2:

Okay I'm 99% sure I'm there. Unless I change jobs I have the vacation, money and commitment to attend ACT2006. I'll be booking the ferry for my visit to Juneau in the next 6 weeks. At that point i'm committed to Alaska so ACT is just an extension of that.
dmc

dmc said:
I'm there whether you guys want me or not. :flipoff2:

Okay I'm 99% sure I'm there. Unless I change jobs I have the vacation, money and commitment to attend ACT2006. I'll be booking the ferry for my visit to Juneau in the next 6 weeks. At that point i'm committed to Alaska so ACT is just an extension of that.
dmc
What rig will you be bringing up with you? You guys have many folks from Canada around here?

Who knows, maybe i'll win the lottery and i'll be a go for the trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom