Alaska Cruiser Trek 2006 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If id only seen this a week ago!!!!!!

Well its october 31st and I just dont have time, At this point I dont have time to pack and drive the 4000 miles, but I would. I lived in Wasilla for a few years and it sounds like good fun. Post some pics and let me know how it went.

tmblwed said:
Well its october 31st and I just dont have time, At this point I dont have time to pack and drive the 4000 miles, but I would. I lived in Wasilla for a few years and it sounds like good fun. Post some pics and let me know how it went.

???? You realize that we're talking about a gathering that is scheduled to take place in July of 2006?

Plenty of time to pack. ;)

Mark...

Mark W said:
???? You realize that we're talking about a gathering that is scheduled to take place in July of 2006?

Plenty of time to pack. ;)

Mark...

Maybe he drives real slow??

If I can get my cruiser "done" by then (and take 5-6 weeks off from work), I'm in. I've been waiting for another one of these to pop up. I even emailed some girl named Gina about it a few months ago.

Hummm?

Mark, you have any FJ40's with a good tub that I can build? I would love to join in on the trip but think it would be more stylish to do it in a Cruzer. :D

Hey Curtis, Good to see ya here in this thread. A little strange but good. ;)

Curtis is a local buddy of mine who's currently driving jeeps. Impressive jeeps, so be nice everyone... ;)

A lot of the guys here are probably chuckling. Because unfortunately, in most parts of the country, finding a '40 with a good tub sitting and waiting to be built is like finding gold nuggets in your kid's sandbox. :(

It could happen, but... cat turds are more likely. ;)

At the moment I could hook you up with a cruiser that has VERY good sheetmetal EXCEPT for the tub. Great frame and no drivetrain or running gear at all. Perfect "blank slate" for a build. I've got suspenion pieces and drivetrain components just waiting to be installed in something. An AL tub cost a bit of change, but in the long run is a perfect solution.

I've got a buddy's Pig (FJ55) siting at the shop that could probably be bought for a pretty good price. It does have some bondo in it and poor paint on top if that, but overall it is not bad. Totally stock and in really good condition otherwise and waiting for upgrades.

If you're interested in this run with us in July, don't work about the brand or model of your rig. I know that your rig(s) are capable enough. The Trek is about the people and the trails. I'm sure that you'd get some friendly brand X vs brand Y kinda stuff, but people usually get over that in about 30 seconds or so. Especially after the first time they have to look around for someone to toss them a strap and give a tug. ;)

Mark...

Mark W said:
I'm sure that you'd get some friendly brand X vs brand Y kinda stuff, but people usually get over that in about 30 seconds or so. Especially after the first time they have to look around for someone to toss them a strap and give a tug.

I LOVE pulling jeeps through all sorts of trails. This spring, I actually pulled a bumper right off the frame of a Samurai. Poor bumper was dangling by the winch and light wires. I did get him out unstuck with that bumper wrenching pull, though. What fun!

Oddly, I have absolutely no memory of every being pulled out by a jeep. I can't say it's never happened... I just choose not to remember it.

Peter Straub

Any chance there will be an empty passenger seat?
Can't even dream of driving all the way from Tx. but I "might" swing a plane ticket......
I reckon me 'n Whatley could make a decent team to fix junk on the trail....
Butch

If only I was still stationed at Elmendorf. I'd love to do a trip like this. And only now after 6 years of constant modification, is my rig ready enough by my standards, for such a trip.

Mark W said:
I've got a buddy's Pig (FJ55) siting at the shop that could probably be bought for a pretty good price. It does have some bondo in it and poor paint on top if that, but overall it is not bad. Totally stock and in really good condition otherwise and waiting for upgrades.

I forgot about that rig, I need to point a friend up here your direction. He drove down to Kenai this summer just to check out a pig (that he ended up not buying). For you lower-48-anites reading this thread, that's about 500 miles each way.

I am starting to pack now and looking in between the couch cushions for loose change for gas money.

I think MTR's would be a good compromise for mud and 4,000 miles of highway to get there, before my wife goes nuts from the tire humming ... hehehe

Take at least one month off and more if need to and make an adventure out of it. :)

Mark W said:
Hey Curtis, Good to see ya here in this thread. A little strange but good. ;)

Curtis is a local buddy of mine who's currently driving jeeps. Impressive jeeps, so be nice everyone... ;)

A lot of the guys here are probably chuckling. Because unfortunately, in most parts of the country, finding a '40 with a good tub sitting and waiting to be built is like finding gold nuggets in your kid's sandbox. :(

It could happen, but... cat turds are more likely. ;)

At the moment I could hook you up with a cruiser that has VERY good sheetmetal EXCEPT for the tub. Great frame and no drivetrain or running gear at all. Perfect "blank slate" for a build. I've got suspenion pieces and drivetrain components just waiting to be installed in something. An AL tub cost a bit of change, but in the long run is a perfect solution.

If you're interested in this run with us in July, don't work about the brand or model of your rig. I know that your rig(s) are capable enough. The Trek is about the people and the trails. I'm sure that you'd get some friendly brand X vs brand Y kinda stuff, but people usually get over that in about 30 seconds or so. Especially after the first time they have to look around for someone to toss them a strap and give a tug. ;)

Mark...
I wouldlike to see what you guys have around for a project rig. All I want is a good frame w/axles & the rest will be scrap & find to make all function well. It's time for me to start building a few rigs for the kids to drive & I have room for a Yota in my world. :D It's not what you drive boys, It's just how well you can stick it! :popcorn: Good to be here & hope to see more runs & pics posted as well as meet a lot of you in the years to come. :cheers: Mark, have you ever thought of driving up the Knik Ice feild? Do you think it would be high risk of falling in a rig eating crack?

You really can't make an approach to Knik Glacier. You can get up on anywhere from one to 3-4 acres sometimes, but the factured area behind that is simply impassable.

There IS one that we have driven up and which I'd like to futher explore. There's an ice fall a couple of miles up or so, but it would be interesting to go that far.

However... It's the glacier we named "Glacier 13". For good reason. It's one unlucky lady. ;)

http://www.xplorn.com/ACT2002/images/ACT02_25.jpg

http://www.xplorn.com/ACT2002/images/ACT02_28.jpg

http://www.xplorn.com/ACT2002/images/ACT02_19.jpg

http://www.xplorn.com/ACT2002/images/Easy boy easy now.jpg

Mark...

got my trails today and this looks interesting. what are the logistics of trailering a rig from central calif? where to park tow-rig and trailer, someone mentioned ferries, etc.. i have the summer off for the first time since high school and am working on estimating fuel and transportaion cost. my fj40 is 2f,sm465,dana 300, 4:11's, welded rear, 36" radial tsl's but would probley have a fresh set of 36" iroks for this trip. would love to take my (by then) 15 year old son on this.

chris :cool:

Texican said:
I reckon me 'n Whatley could make a decent team to fix junk on the trail....
Butch

Based on who I expect to see up here, this Trek will probably have a higher ratio of "guys you'd pick to have on the trail with you" than just about any other event out there. Proffesional wrenchers, Mech engineers with PHDs, experienced expedition guys, very experienced "outdoorsmen" (think wilderness survival experts, not weekend spark hiker), fabricators and designers... and experienced drivers too. ;)

You'd fit right in Butch....

If I'm gonna break down on the trail this is the kinda group I want to have with me! :)

Mark, That first pic has a mountain in the background that looka a lot like Castle mountain when you look at it from the Boulder trail just after te bog. I know it's not it but damn near twins! I remember that last pic of your 40 from the Trek report site. :grinpimp: Good stuff! Im not sure how but one of the guys on the board was thinking & "THINKS" you would be able to go a long ways on the ice. Not ever doing much research I would think of nothing but the bad that could happen if a rig was to fall in a 50'+ crack! :eek: I think this Boulder trip will be a wash for me. Im sick as a DOG! :crybaby:

Behemoth60 said:
Oh, I'll be there! And my little dog too. Also in flagrant violation of Mark's suggestions.

And bring your guns, Greg. Despite my political stance that city folk shouldn't keep guns, I cannot deny the sence of phalic enhancement one gets from shooting a big gun. So, bring your biggest and baddest with bulging boxes of bullets, and I'll be there to step on some caps and split some wigs. homey. word up.

Peter Straub

Ahh, Mr Peter. I love it when you talk dirty! Consider it done. And which vehicle shall I be expecting you to arrive in?

This is gonna be fun, I'm packin' ammo as I type

Later,
Greg

Mark W said:
You really can't make an approach to Knik Glacier. You can get up on anywhere from one to 3-4 acres sometimes, but the factured area behind that is simply impassable.

There IS one that we have driven up and which I'd like to futher explore. There's an ice fall a couple of miles up or so, but it would be interesting to go that far.

However... It's the glacier we named "Glacier 13". For good reason. It's one unlucky lady. ;)

http://www.xplorn.com/ACT2002/images/ACT02_25.jpg

http://www.xplorn.com/ACT2002/images/ACT02_28.jpg

http://www.xplorn.com/ACT2002/images/ACT02_19.jpg

http://www.xplorn.com/ACT2002/images/Easy boy easy now.jpg

Mark...

Aahh, Glacier 13...........now that BITCH is evil. She even forced honest people to nearly commit felony's

I dislike that BITCH,

Greg

hmmm. A bitch, yes. But I find her strangely attractive nonetheless. Ya might not want to take her home to meet mom (or in this case take mom along to meet her)... but man, what a blast a trip to the top would be!

Mark...

akcruzers said:
She even forced honest people to nearly commit felony's

Greg

That little affair was scarier than any vehicular carnage.

But she didn't give any grief in 2003 when everyone drove up on the ice. I've got some pictures here somewhere (I think Bob took them) of folks standing around that moulin. IIRC it was figured to be 400 feet deep from the time it took the rocks to hit bottom...

Mark...

Mark W said:
That little affair was scarier than any vehicular carnage.

But she didn't give any grief in 2003 when everyone drove up on the ice. I've got some pictures here somewhere (I think Bob took them) of folks standing around that moulin. IIRC it was figured to be 400 feet deep from the time it took the rocks to hit bottom...

Mark...
What are you guys talking about this woman is so wild? I must see her NOW! :bounce2: I will do my best to make this run with all who come out for an adventure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom