Aisin clutch kit vs. Moog vs Toyota (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dogfishlake

"Go on a living spree"
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Hello all,

I am looking to do a new clutch on Louise because she has a massive rear main leak so......while I'm in there....

I may do it myself but a local shop that I am pretty confident in will do the rear main and clutch kit for $700 using Moog parts. I told them I wanted Aisin and he argued a bit and I stopped there because we were just quoting at that point anyway. I get it that people in business don't like being told what's best but if an Aisin kit is that much better than Moog I will push and win. Also, I am under the impression the Aisin kit is the equal to Toyota parts. Is this true, or should I be considering a kit right from Mr T?

Thank you all for your experience and help.

Cheers:beer:

Aisin is the manufacturer for Toyota and is partially owned by Toyota from what I understand. Buying Aisin is essentially like buying OEM toyota however wherever a TEQ logo is normally stamped on OEM Toyota, it will be ground down when purchased from Aisin.

You were right to stick with Aisin, the shop probably gets better wholesale cost on Moog v. Aisin.

Aisin is the manufacturer for Toyota and is partially owned by Toyota from what I understand. Buying Aisin is essentially like buying OEM toyota however wherever a TEQ logo is normally stamped on OEM Toyota, it will be ground down when purchased from Aisin.

You were right to stick with Aisin, the shop probably gets better wholesale cost on Moog v. Aisin.
That's what I'm thinking too. I really don't care if they bury some extra labor in there if I bring them the clutch kit myself. I get that they need to mark parts up as part of their living. Full respect there, I just want the best parts. Crazy how non Toyota people don't get it

Does anybody out there have a Moog clutch? And, is it working well?

Don't do that. EVERY blown up clutch I've seen on this website was NOT an Aisin clutch. I don't know who manufactured them, but the disasters are never Aisins/Toyota. A clutch job is a big undertaking. Don't mess around with aftermarket parts for a clutch to save $50. Buy all the Aisin/Toyota parts you'll need on your own and tell them to install them. If they want to charge extra, well that's how it goes. Whatever you do, only use the Toyota pilot bearing. It is a non-contact sealed bearing that is impossible to get anywhere else. Other bearings will fit, but they'll be shielded or sealed. Both are inferior to a non contact sealed bearing when it's used for a pilot bearing.

Only use the expensive Toyota throw out bearing if you want a trouble free clutch that will outlive you.

Don't do that. EVERY blown up clutch I've seen on this website was NOT an Aisin clutch. I don't know who manufactured them, but the disasters are never Aisins/Toyota. A clutch job is a big undertaking. Don't mess around with aftermarket parts for a clutch to save $50. Buy all the Aisin/Toyota parts you'll need on your own and tell them to install them. If they want to charge extra, well that's how it goes. Whatever you do, only use the Toyota pilot bearing. It is a non-contact sealed bearing that is impossible to get anywhere else. Other bearings will fit, but they'll be shielded or sealed. Both are inferior to a non contact sealed bearing when it's used for a pilot bearing.

Only use the expensive Toyota throw out bearing if you want a trouble free clutch that will outlive you.

Good info, especially the TO bearing and pilot. Saving some money isn't my issue, I was just looking to see if my suspicions were true that the Aisin clutch is better than Moog. Sounds like it definitely is -not surprised. Thanks

Your instincts about Toyota parts are correct. OEM always fit and are high quality. Finding the parts in Aisin, Nippondenso, and Koyo boxes is the key to getting them economically.

FYI - it's pretty easy to get the clutch plate flipped the wrong way. The difference between the front and back is subtle. Several threads on Mud about guys who've reassembled backwards and have to tear it all apart again.

The flywheel will need resurfaced and the pressure plate replaced too. There was a thread about replacing the rear main seal about a year ago. One of the highly respected vendors recommended loosening the bearing cap to insert the seal. It's a tight fit and a bit tricky to get in without loosening, possible but tight.

If you have the time and a place to work, you might want to tackle this yourself.

EVERY blown up clutch I've seen on this website was NOT an Aisin clutch.

do you have links? I don't recall seeing many.

Your instincts about Toyota parts are correct. OEM always fit and are high quality. Finding the parts in Aisin, Nippondenso, and Koyo boxes is the key to getting them economically.

FYI - it's pretty easy to get the clutch plate flipped the wrong way. The difference between the front and back is subtle. Several threads on Mud about guys who've reassembled backwards and have to tear it all apart again.

The flywheel will need resurfaced and the pressure plate replaced too. There was a thread about replacing the rear main seal about a year ago. One of the highly respected vendors recommended loosening the bearing cap to insert the seal. It's a tight fit and a bit tricky to get in without loosening, possible but tight.

If you have the time and a place to work, you might want to tackle this yourself.

Good info, thanks. I will search for the thread. I think this whole thing will likely wind up being a project that I do. If I do, it may evolve into just pulling the whole deal, engine and all and resealing everything and making it nice. It would be easier replacing that stuff with the engine and transmission out anyway.

I think this whole thing will likely wind up being a project that I do. If I do, it may evolve into just pulling the whole deal, engine and all and resealing everything and making it nice. It would be easier replacing that stuff with the engine and transmission out anyway.

Great idea - you will gain knowledge and satisfaction. FJ60 clutches are beefy and overbuilt, but you still want Aisin parts, rather than anyone else's parts. I chuckle at people who put a Centerforce clutch behind a 2F - like you could get enough 'revs' to increase holding power?

Aisin all the way,i just installed a set on my 60. I also replaced the clutch slave.

Who's paying you to sell parts?

I've pulled engines/transmissions on quite a few makes of cars, but never a 60. It actually looks like fun for sure, just not so much free time. The big thing is reinforcement that the Aisin is likely better. Thanks all for the responses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom