Destroyed clutch disc (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just finished pulling my transmission and transfer case. When I got to the the bell housing, I found fragments of my clutch disc piled on the bottom...

I knew my clutch was hooped but I wasn't expecting anything like this.
Any ideas on the cause? Want to get to the bottom of this before I start putting things back together.

As you can see from the photos, pretty much nothing left on the clutch disk

Cheers,

IMG_3772.JPG

IMG_3768.JPG

Holly ***! That clutch exploded. I'm glad you got her out, too bad the shop didn't catch this problem in the first place. Is the pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft? Replace that bearing too. Theres a trick to getting the bearing out. fill the bearing hole and cavity up with grease and then find something with the same diameter of the ID of bearing and hit in in towards the engine and the grease should compress and push the bearing out. You will have to inch it out adding more grease with every millimeter it moves.

I keep tellin' people, an FJ60 does not make a good 1/4 miles dragster! :D

Overheated, worn, Flywheel out of spec ?

Don't the 3B motors take a different HD clutch (Asco) ?

Check the tightness of the flywheel bolts. If the flywheel wobbles it'll destroy a disc. If the disc was worn all the way to the rivets, rivet fatigue will grenade the disc. If it wasn't a Toyota disc, then anything is possible.

Holly ***! That clutch exploded. I'm glad you got her out, too bad the shop didn't catch this problem in the first place. Is the pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft? Replace that bearing too. Theres a trick to getting the bearing out. fill the bearing hole and cavity up with grease and then find something with the same diameter of the ID of bearing and hit in in towards the engine and the grease should compress and push the bearing out. You will have to inch it out adding more grease with every millimeter it moves.
Also seen the same process does with bread (cheap stuff) where they just keep packing the cavity with the pieces until it pushes out... probably a lot less messy than the grease.

Yes pilot bearing there. Had it replaced when then motor was out. I don't think I'm going to change it as it is brand new and has less than 50kms on it.

Hi, How old is the clutch ? Mike
Not sure as this is the one that came with the truck. I did just do an engine swap and the clutch supposedly looked good when it was all bolted back together. I didn't see it with my own two eyes though

I keep tellin' people, an FJ60 does not make a good 1/4 miles dragster! :D

Overheated, worn, Flywheel out of spec ?

Don't the 3B motors take a different HD clutch (Asco) ?
Anyone know what the specs are for the flywheel? Have it st the shop now and they are asking...

Check the tightness of the flywheel bolts. If the flywheel wobbles it'll destroy a disc. If the disc was worn all the way to the rivets, rivet fatigue will grenade the disc. If it wasn't a Toyota disc, then anything is possible.
Flywheel bolts were tight when I pulled it. Disc was for sure overheated and I drove in into the ground. Would that cause this damage though? Not a Toyota disc...

This is for a 3B, yes?

Before they cut it, verify:

3b flywheel step +/- ?

Might ask this in the Diesel section. The 3B flywheel is different from the 2F or 2H

Last edited:
Haha ya I just realized that. I frantically called the shop and asked about the specs. They are machining in FLAT for my 3b. Correct?!?!?!

There are no specs for the Flywheel in the 3B FSM so I'm guessing that means flat, but I'm not a diesel guy. Diesel section deserves the ask.

Diesel Tech / 24 volts

There are no specs for the Flywheel in the 3B FSM so I'm guessing that means flat, but I'm not a diesel guy. Diesel section deserves the ask.

Diesel Tech / 24 volts
Just getting it all back together here...

Quick one I can't seem to get the thrown bearing down any further than this without really hammering on it. It this seated as far as it will go? Can't tell if it can go another mm or not

IMG_3776.JPG

IMG_3778.JPG

Also, are these clips in correctly? Seems a bit flimsy... Can't remember what they looked like going in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom