AirDownGearUp SS1: Storage, Sleeper and Drawer System for 200 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anybody out there using this system? Was looking at the Landshark Reef system, but that website has been down for nearly a month. Like this more, but also costs more. Was hoping to hear thoughts from some owners.

August has been a big month for the 200 series for the SS1. I think you'll start seeing more folks on here start sharing. Picture below shows an install from this week.

Important note when comparing other storage systems to the Reef system: The Reef system has no slides and the "drawers" are sliding boxes on top of a plastic strip. For a like to like comparison, I suggest you look at just the Basic SS1 and plan on using bins that you can slide in and out. That provides a functional comparison and I think the SS1 is actually cheaper. From a cost perspective that's an awesome bang for buck option. You can also upgrade later to add on drawers, beauty panels, slide out tray, etc...

The SS1 is very modular. By the time you add on drawers your cost is higher than the Reef system, but it's also totally different. It's no longer like for like. The SS1 drawers can hold 250lbs+ each and still glide in and out with nearly no force. My wife can pull out a fully loaded drawer just as easily as any kitchen drawer at home. They lock in and out and they're 100% extension industrial ball bearing slides. The reef system is not a single one of those things since it's a sliding box and not a true drawer on slides.

Also note, if you need to reach @Kyle Bell or I about a question, concern or install trouble on your system, we're here to answer it within a day, if not within the hour. We're both committed to growing the business and make a very concentrated effort to not let any communications linger without a prompt response via email, PM, text or phone call. The site for Air Down Gear Up should be more detailed now and I'm adding more and more CAD renders for products to make each listing more clear. That being said, even with a lack of details.... hey it's up and running 24/7. :)

1598020752591.png

Just ordered the premier sleeper package for my LX. Def pricier than the Reef but looks to be quality . Have a big trip coming up so with the Reef site still down and needing to be able to install and remove quickly, this was my only option. Should have it within a month. Will update when I get it in.

Wow @suprarx7nut ...looks like you guys have really been upping the game lately. I love watching this stuff evolve!

DSC_0037s_1024x1024@2x.jpg

A couple more pics of the install. I like that the back seat reclines. There is space between the back of the seat and the drawers if you wanted to stuff a blanket. I like the full length drawer and the modularity.

View attachment 2412020

View attachment 2412023

View attachment 2412021

Looks great. It was good to chat cars, drink a beer and get another SS1 into a great-looking 200!

Wow @suprarx7nut ...looks like you guys have really been upping the game lately. I love watching this stuff evolve!

DSC_0037s_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Thanks! We've come a long ways from my first prototype built out of 2x4's and some Home Depot plywood back in 2016!

Did a trip to SoDak and WY last week. SS1 did a great job for us. Wife and I slept in the back and had plenty of room.

The 1 drawer system works great for me: I have stuff in the drawer and can put the griddle, chairs and table on the right hand side. Other stuff gets, well stuffed, into the wings. Experimenting with what goes into the drawer, vs what get’s placed elsewhere, but there is tons of additional room.

I do plan on putting some carpet / fabric just to match the black carpet interior.

Thanks again guys, really like the setup

B

2ED4D0FE-733A-4A83-B3CA-BE1E46A0886E.jpeg
C4E30F35-D9E9-4BA6-B357-55DA503D3A6C.jpeg

Did a trip to SoDak and WY last week. SS1 did a great job for us. Wife and I slept in the back and had plenty of room.

The 1 drawer system works great for me: I have stuff in the drawer and can put the griddle, chairs and table on the right hand side. Other stuff gets, well stuffed, into the wings. Experimenting with what goes into the drawer, vs what get’s placed elsewhere, but there is tons of additional room.

I do plan on putting some carpet / fabric just to match the black carpet interior.

Thanks again guys, really like the setup

B

View attachment 2442471View attachment 2442473

Just a quick question about sleeping in the back. How do you keep the temperature comfortable? Do you lower windows and have screens keep bugs out do you run the car with the air conditioning, heat etc.? I am considering a similar set up and just trying to figure out what’s best. One final question do you always sleep in campsites or off the beaten path? Thanks in advance

Reactions: HGB
Just a quick question about sleeping in the back. How do you keep the temperature comfortable? Do you lower windows and have screens keep bugs out do you run the car with the air conditioning, heat etc.? I am considering a similar set up and just trying to figure out what’s best. One final question do you always sleep in campsites or off the beaten path? Thanks in advance

Can't speak for @fos373 , but for me, the answers are:

Temp: I keep windows rolled up. I'm normally camping at high altitude where temps are 40F at night. If you're in a warmer climate, there are nifty bug screens you can get that cover up the windows.

Camp location: dispersed camping. Depends on where you are, though. In Colorado, there are a TON of trails all over the mountains and many of those trails are designated for "dispersed camping" which essentially means, pull over wherever there's space and where you're not disturbing wildflowers and feel free to camp. That's the way to go if you want to escape other people, IMO.

I have a different drawer system that I sleep on, but generally speaking I keep the rear windows at least cracked for ventilation and to keep condensation under control. I open them up further for cooling if needed. I always use the nets to keep critters out. For additional heat, I have user a 12v electric blanket, which doesn't actually put out much heat, but does make a difference on really cold nights when used under under my body. I have also just turned on the 1000w inverter, which even on standby generates a little bit of heat. The LC is pretty well insulated, so body heat alone gets retained fairly well. It's a lot harder to keep cool sleeping in the back than it is to stay warm. Best option for keeping cool is blocking sunlight out of the windows. I just received the WeatherTech shades and they work very well for this. They would also provide additional insulation in colder temps. Another key is a sleeping pad/mattress with a good R value. It really keeps the cold away pretty well. I use an "Exped MegaMat Duo 10 +LW" which fits perfectly to use up the full width of the sleeping area or MegaMat Max 15 if I only need half.

Can't speak for @fos373 , but for me, the answers are:

Temp: I keep windows rolled up. I'm normally camping at high altitude where temps are 40F at night. If you're in a warmer climate, there are nifty bug screens you can get that cover up the windows.

Camp location: dispersed camping. Depends on where you are, though. In Colorado, there are a TON of trails all over the mountains and many of those trails are designated for "dispersed camping" which essentially means, pull over wherever there's space and where you're not disturbing wildflowers and feel free to camp. That's the way to go if you want to escape other people, IMO.
Very helpful. I am debating getting an RTT vs sleeping in the vehicle as my wife and I head out on a 4-6 week western adventure next year and maybe even Alaska. Want to set up vehicle for some overnight sleeping /camping w every few days hotels or stay w friends. Continuing to look for ideas from those that are experienced... sorry for hijack

Very helpful. I am debating getting an RTT vs sleeping in the vehicle as my wife and I head out on a 4-6 week western adventure next year and maybe even Alaska. Want to set up vehicle for some overnight sleeping /camping w every few days hotels or stay w friends. Continuing to look for ideas from those that are experienced... sorry for hijack

That sounds awesome. I'm jealous! The RTT vs Sleeper platform is good discussion for here, no worries on the hijack.

The platform is nice because you can just drive away. Setup/teardown time can be very, very little. An RTT creates a bit more of a commitment to your site once deployed.

I used to want an RTT and actually got one on my recent used LX470 purchase. I sold it. Two reasons: 1: vertical clearance. My garage is limited in space as are parking garages, drive thrus, etc... Reason 2: unnecessary weight and drag up top. You can feel the weight of an extra 100-200 lbs on the roof. Not the best thing for an already top-heavy vehicle.

Bonus reason: $$. RTT money can go towards a rear bumper with swingouts, full drawer system, front bumper/winch, etc...

My current plan is to use the ADGU sleeper when I need a quick overnight for now. Long term I'd like to get an off road trailer with an RTT on it or an Opus style tent-trailer.

That sounds awesome. I'm jealous! The RTT vs Sleeper platform is good discussion for here, no worries on the hijack.

The platform is nice because you can just drive away. Setup/teardown time can be very, very little. An RTT creates a bit more of a commitment to your site once deployed.

I used to want an RTT and actually got one on my recent used LX470 purchase. I sold it. Two reasons: 1: vertical clearance. My garage is limited in space as are parking garages, drive thrus, etc... Reason 2: unnecessary weight and drag up top. You can feel the weight of an extra 100-200 lbs on the roof. Not the best thing for an already top-heavy vehicle.

Bonus reason: $$. RTT money can go towards a rear bumper with swingouts, full drawer system, front bumper/winch, etc...

My current plan is to use the ADGU sleeper when I need a quick overnight for now. Long term I'd like to get an off road trailer with an RTT on it or an Opus style tent-trailer.
Wow those Opus are very cool! I hear ya on RTT that’s why I’m torn on which way to go. Not sure I want to pull a trailer around either, that’s why I was leaning towards RTT. Going to keep researching, that’s part of the fun!!

Wow those Opus are very cool! I hear ya on RTT that’s why I’m torn on which way to go. Not sure I want to pull a trailer around either, that’s why I was leaning towards RTT. Going to keep researching, that’s part of the fun!!
I should also add as I research how to hook up showers extra power i.e. the goal zero vs other power sources etc just want to make sure I’m getting what I really use vs a bunch of extra stuff I don’t need, which I tend to do!!

mirrorring what @suprarx7nut said.

Dispersed camping - outside of Devil's Tower, we took the forest service road that took us to the National Forest. There were numerous smaller and larger spots (we could have parked 3 full size trucks and 5th wheels where we camped and still had room....). Same here in CO or when we were SoDak. I'm not a big fan of camping in general - I like a shower - and less a fan of "campsites". I used a combo of onX offroad and google earth to scout for sites and trails, but a lot of it was just driving around and being in the area we thought would be fun. Amazing how many fire tower lookouts were in the area.

I kept the windows up to keep the bugs out. Temp at 6500-7000 ft was in the lower 40s. I have a 20F down sleeping bag and I was never cold and had plenty of room to stretch out.

B
EFAAE99F-16C3-4A4F-922C-4480BC39C016.jpeg

Rooftop tents are pretty easy to deploy/tear down. Ours takes about 10 minutes to put up and maybe 15 to put away. Unfolding and folding is easy, taking the cover off and putting the cover on takes more time than anything else.

The downside is having to put your sleeping quarters away any time you want to go explore.

Sleeping in the back of the cruiser only works for me when I'm solo. My wife isn't a fan.

I may have missed this on your website, but do you have the weight of the various components listed somewhere? I do a ton of towing/camping in my rig and have avoided going to a platform/drawers because of the weight compromise. Your solution may fit my usage model perfectly.

Really great job on the modular design of these too!

I may have missed this on your website, but do you have the weight of the various components listed somewhere? I do a ton of towing/camping in my rig and have avoided going to a platform/drawers because of the weight compromise. Your solution may fit my usage model perfectly.

Really great job on the modular design of these too!

That's something we need to get on the site description. Here's the breakdown:

Platform only: 35 lbs
Platform and Sleeper: 55 lbs
Single drawer: 40 lbs

Platform only with single drawer: ~75 lbs.

If weight is a concern I think the basic platform with a single drawer is an awesome combo. You can cram a lot of little items in the single drawer and have a bunch of flex space on the other side. Far as I'm aware, there's no other system on the market that gives you a platform surface across the cargo area and a single (or dual) drawer at that weight. Most the short drawer systems are 150-175 lbs with barely over half the storage capacity.

Wow, Nice drawer system. Just want to comment about rolling down windows during dispersed camping. I use bug screen that fit over door. I can crack the windows to allow good air flow. That's what I use when I'm in CO during my solo trip.

Amazon product ASIN B07RQ479G4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom