AirDownGearUp SS1: Storage, Sleeper and Drawer System for 200 series (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How much disassembly would be require to store this flat (no drawers but with sleeper extension)? I need a sleeper for 2-3 endurance bike races/year in areas with no accommodations. At the same time I haul around a big dog that makes a full time install tough. This looks like a great option. Easy in and out. Extension for sleeping. Open area to stuff odd sized gear. Storage when not installed is the last question. Can I make it small enough to store? Collapsible legs would be awesome.

How much disassembly would be require to store this flat (no drawers but with sleeper extension)? I need a sleeper for 2-3 endurance bike races/year in areas with no accommodations. At the same time I haul around a big dog that makes a full time install tough. This looks like a great option. Easy in and out. Extension for sleeping. Open area to stuff odd sized gear. Storage when not installed is the last question. Can I make it small enough to store? Collapsible legs would be awesome.
Without drawers it's pretty quick and it does store very flat at just over an inch for the panels. You'd remove the system from the car (4 turnbuckles), turn it on it's side, then unfold the sleeper, un screw the 9 legs (a single 1/4-20 screw per leg), fold the sleeper back over and then you're done. You'd then have the main panels and sleeper in a flat panel and the turnbuckles and legs then stored in a box or neatly standing up in a row. Probably a 10-15 minute task once you're familiar if you have a hand drill and hex bit. Same goes for re-assembly.

I've broken down many of these throughout all our prototyping and updates. When I was moving a bunch a few years ago I also took it in and out often to move tables/chairs, etc... My garage is always packed full of projects, so keeping space down to a minimum has been a must. It's been really handy how flat the SS1 stores. The system fits behind my workbench, just resting on the "rat wall" of my garage (the little concrete wall that's about 2' high, sticks out about 4 inches from the drywall and runs around the interior perimeter of my garage). If you can store a folding table in a space, the SS1 should fit as well.

Thanks!

These look really great. I'm glad I stumbled on this thread.

Are these drawers lockable or is that something that could be easily added?

We don't have an integrated lock, but we have put some thought into it. It would be somewhat easy to add (or for a customer to retrofit) a simple barrel/cam lock. We're not convinced that sort of lock on a simple wood/sheet metal structure would stop a thief that's already broken into a car, though. It would help avoid unwanted access for a child, just not a thief.

If you wanted to add a child-proof sort of mechanism, this is the sort of thing we had in mind:

Have you come up with the single drawer solution or retro-fit or part-time single drawer option?
Not yet. We know what we want to do and how we want to do it, but haven't started building yet. We've got a CNC router arriving early 2021 which will expedite development and hopefully allow that to come to fruition in mid-late 2021.

We've upgraded the Slide Out Table Brackets now that we have our own in house CNC. a few chamfers here and there really up the class factor on it, I think. Old ones were laser cut which worked well, but leaves you limited to 2D cuts. Now, we can cut it how we really want and you get a more refined and 3D result.

1617396153903.png

Here's what the old one looked like:
1617396330304.png

Nice.... Do you have a whole package for all the bells and whistle price?

Nice.... Do you have a whole package for all the bells and whistle price?
We have a listing for the "Premier Package" which includes everything except the Slide Out Tables (SOT) which I show in my earlier post today with those new and improved brackets. See below. The listings on our site for the platforms are all "Natural Birch" right now, but we can add on a protective finish of Charcoal or Black for a surcharge of $400. The natural Baltic Birch is raw, but still plenty durable for everything except standing water/moisture. Spilling a beer or some light rain mist is fine, but soaking it with ski gear overnight would be the sort of use case where we'd recommend some protection.

Premier Package includes the full sleeper plus two drawers, both with hinged beauty panels. Also includes cargo dividers to keep the drawer area clear and dividers for within the drawers to organize your gear inside the drawers.

The SOT adds another $275-300 and is sold per table. You can add one or two at any time. Mounting provisions are provided on all new drawers so retrofitting the SOTs is a breeze.

Premier Package: $1,980. SS1 - Platform - 200 Series - https://airdowngearup.com/collections/200-series-land-cruiser/products/ss1-platform-200-series?variant=35704205148319

SOT: $275. Slide Out Table for 100 and 200 Series - https://airdowngearup.com/collections/200-series-land-cruiser/products/slide-out-table?variant=36796389327007

Let us know if you have any questions!

-Andy

@suprarx7nut @Kyle Bell

Do you guys have these in stock? I'm picking up a 200 series this up coming week and will be swinging through Denver on the way home. I'm thinking of the premier package w/o the sleeper. Also would consider a basic platform with one drawer with beauty panel.

@suprarx7nut @Kyle Bell

Do you guys have these in stock? I'm picking up a 200 series this up coming week and will be swinging through Denver on the way home. I'm thinking of the premier package w/o the sleeper. Also would consider a basic platform with one drawer with beauty panel.
Normally, yes. Right now, no (March was bananas). However, we're working through our outstanding orders quickly and an in-person pickup this week isn't necessarily out of the question.

Shoot me a PM or give me a call and we can discuss options. If nothing else I'm thinking we can get you the core system with just a few lingering components shipped afterwards and save you a bundle on shipping costs. That way we could get you the big $$ savings of the bundle package even if we don't have 100% of it's components ready when you're coming through the Denver area.

720-335-5991 -Andy

Is there a total rated weight limit?

For two adults... That might not be in the best shape anymore. 😏

Oh and what is install like? Is there a video?

Is there a total rated weight limit?

For two adults... That might not be in the best shape anymore. 😏

Oh and what is install like? Is there a video?
Somewhere in this thread there's a picture of Kyle transporting 900 lbs or something ridiculous in concrete pavers, dirt and concrete mix on top of his SS1. The birch plywood we use is very strong and it's supported with stainless steel braces/washers and aluminum legs. You're not going to come close to the weight limit, no matter how out of shape you might be. :)

Install is straightforward. Lots of hammering prop nuts and then threading in screws on the sleeper. We've got a nice PDF guide that we send out to customers (and could post here, I guess). I shot a video of the process when I installed my most recent system, but haven't had time to edit it together. I could do that if that's of interest for a few folks.

Somewhere in this thread there's a picture of Kyle transporting 900 lbs or something ridiculous in concrete pavers, dirt and concrete mix on top of his SS1. The birch plywood we use is very strong and it's supported with stainless steel braces/washers and aluminum legs. You're not going to come close to the weight limit, no matter how out of shape you might be. :)

Install is straightforward. Lots of hammering prop nuts and then threading in screws on the sleeper. We've got a nice PDF guide that we send out to customers (and could post here, I guess). I shot a video of the process when I installed my most recent system, but haven't had time to edit it together. I could do that if that's of interest for a few folks.
Thank you for the quick reply. Okay, I am not worried about weight then.

Any issues of this in a newer LX VS the LC?

This is the next step in what I want to do, and I want a sleeper. I have a local place that will install ARB, but I still have to worry about the sleeping platform.

So I'm pretty sure I understand how to take my third row out, I just want to make sure your install isn't exceedingly difficult. Is there any drilling or modification to the vehicle required?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom