Builds Airbagged 80 series on 42 inches. Low cost Russian build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wonder - what is the spring-rate at ride height?
I suppose the spring rate would vary directly with ride height because of the air volume changing, but would be a fairly flat curve with height?
That will have a direct effect on role stiffness and handling, as any spring change would.

Really? 50 USD each is very inexpensive - I am surprised.
At that sort of price - a full replacement every few years would be practical, when ageing is seen.

I see a really cool possibility with the air springs, (with some kind of enhanced controller):
Lift(reduce air) and push down(more air) opposite corners when you are fully articulated - stuffed, plus some bias/tilt to one side.
To prevent possibility of roll-over, and enhancing traction on the most dropped corner wheels, by pushing down some,
Where those coil springs normally would be fully extended and hanging. - What the Slinky springs are supposed to be better for.

And how about this - dynamic side to side anti-sway control on road - puff some air into both outside springs when cornering?

I looked over everything about these on the Continental site - unfortunately - they give practically no technical information.

Last edited:
At that sort of price - a full replacement every few years would be practical, when ageing is seen.

I see a really cool possibility with the air springs, (with some kind of enhanced controller):
Lift(reduce air) and push down(more air) opposite corners when you are fully articulated - stuffed, plus some bias/tilt to one side.
To prevent possibility of roll-over, and enhancing traction on the most dropped corner wheels, by pushing down some,
Where those coil springs normally would be fully extended and hanging. - What the Slinky springs are supposed to be better for.

And how about this - dynamic side to side anti-sway control on road - puff some air into both outside springs when cornering?

I looked over everything about these on the Continental site - unfortunately - they give practically no technical information.

I'm running the BOSS 2603 air bags, they are better than the firestones I had but seem a bit stiffer than before the one ton swap and all the changes.

You don't want to connect the bags left to right or you will get a lot of roll. If you were going to do that you'd use hydraulic fluid instead (hydraulic rams), and connect front right to rear left and verse visa (top of one ram connected to bottom of other), but you'd basically want a whole other hydraulic piston system to interconnect things. It could be done, I don't feel like drawing it out but basically two rams connected in the middle of the hydraulic system so when the front left and rear right move fluid, so do the opposite tires. If you use air it will just compress and cause roll, so you'd use an air over hydraulic.

Pumping air to one side isn't fast enough for what you'd want out of it for cornering.

I liked Obrokoff's video, I should do the same, it seems like I'm getting more flex/roll out of the radius arm bushings than I expected, would like to see what's happening better.

I use Auger 20110, analogue of Contitech sz130-25p05. It’s cheaper than contitech, but works fine.

It’s very hard to realise. Who can made this controller?

This is a good option of air springs. I use it when moving along the slope
I have done it a couple times, level out a bit when on a sidehill, lowering the uphill side more than airing up the downhill side usually though.

Dropping it for loading the back and access to the roof tent is used more often.

Working on a pneumatic disconnected antisway right now though.

Last edited:
It’s very hard to realise. Who can made this controller?
haha - agreed - very hard to realize. Who? me...in my imagination, while laying in bed thinking about this. ;)

You don't want to connect the bags left to right or you will get a lot of roll. If you were going to do that you'd use hydraulic fluid instead (hydraulic rams), and connect front right to rear left and verse visa (top of one ram connected to bottom of other), but you'd basically want a whole other hydraulic piston system to interconnect things. It could be done, I don't feel like drawing it out but basically two rams connected in the middle of the hydraulic system so when the front left and rear right move fluid, so do the opposite tires. If you use air it will just compress and cause roll, so you'd use an air over hydraulic.

You just described Audi's DRC system to a 'T'. It actually works well when it works, but there is a spectacular amount of complexity involved in maintaining it. My RS6 had it, but I got rid of it when a shock started leaking.

You just described Audi's DRC system to a 'T'. It actually works well when it works, but there is a spectacular amount of complexity involved in maintaining it. My RS6 had it, but I got rid of it when a shock started leaking.
Cool, I’ll look it up.

Really hard to realise this option. I think it’s don’t need to 4x4 rig.
Accuair controller with height sensors in my future upgrades. But I can’t buy it from USA now.

Really hard to realise this option. I think it’s don’t need to 4x4 rig.
Accuair controller with height sensors in my future upgrades. But I can’t buy it from USA now.

i wonder of you could use the height sensors off of an air bagged gx or 4runner equivalent in europe. might be easier to source then getting something from the us

I'll throw in another possibility - I just finished disassembling an entire 1995 (Ford) Lincoln Mark VIII rear IRS - There was a level sensor - that car apparently had air bag rear springs.
After some youtubing - it had front air-struts (and a sensor up front) as well.

Last edited:
I'll throw in another possibility - I just finished disassembling an entire 1995 (Ford) Lincoln Mark VIII rear IRS - There was a level sensor - that car apparently had air bag rear springs.
After some youtubing - it had front air-struts (and a sensor up front) as well.

getting parts may start to become a problem for that if it hasnt already, we had a cust with a similar year continental (still a ford product) and even basic suspension parts were discontinued. sticking to the ford line i would look at the navigator as its newer and should have more parts availability

i wonder of you could use the height sensors off of an air bagged gx or 4runner equivalent in europe. might be easier to source then getting something from the us
Height sensors not a problem. I can buy it from china

@Obrokoff - I had to look it up...you live in a spectacular and remote place!

Look to see the availability for parts for a Lincoln Navigator. They are also airbagged. not sure what their control sequence may be.

Look to see the availability for parts for a Lincoln Navigator. They are also airbagged. not sure what their control sequence may be.
Aftermarket controller like a accuair works better than stock and give more diversity in setting up several levels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom