Air compressor in basement or garage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Threads
Moving to new digs this week, I don't want to move my big compressor more than once even though it's gonna be awhile before I get the 240V and lines run. Trying to decide where to put it. Garage is attached via a breezeway with a crawlspace underneath, basement is unfinished.

Thinking it will be best to put it in the basement, keeping it out of the cold, even though the noise will go up into the house. I could set it next to the boiler, water heater tank, & Radon system, which is near the panel. Then it will only be a matter of running hard pipe thru the crawlspace to the garage. It's a 60-gal Porter-Cable unit, oil-filled, makes less noise than most.

Any flaws in my thinking?

Where will you use it the most? Garage or basement? That's where I'd put it. You do have different weather to deal with in New Hampshire than I do tho in SoCal.

It doesn't really matter where I use it the most, both areas are gonna be plumbed with lines and chucks. I just gotta devise a way to remind me to turn it off every night...

Longer the line the more the pressure drop. If I was going to use it in the garage that's where I'd put it or visa versa.

Keep your airlines as short as possible, so I vote garage.

Even oiled piston compressors are fairly noisy, and you'll never remember to turn it off at night, so noise is a consideration that would also favor the garage. I don't know what effect cold has on compressors, but it gets cold here (sometimes 45 degrees :flipoff2:) and I have not had any problems. Maybe run synthetic compressor oil.

Hmmm... ya I see your point on the pressure drop, I was planning to run at least 1/2" but probably 3/4" lines everywhere, so the losses should be minimal. Honestly, if you saw the layout, the distance is probably less than 10' difference. Hmmm...

The majority of noise from an oil filled compressor comes from the intake, which I was going to plumb to the outside.

A friend mentioned a trick where he hangs his car & house keys on the switch. You can't leave without going to look there, then you see that it's still on. He's never left it on since.

I ran a relay on my compressor, switched by a wall switch next to the light switch. Really easy, and I want to say the relay was under $20 at Grainger. You could even run multiple switches at different locations, like shop, basement, and/or garage.

Run large pipe for less or no noticeable pressure drop, and you can even put a secondary tank at your remote location.

-Spike

I plumbed my garage for air with 3/4 copper pipe and it was a fun project and very functional. I used the thicker of the two available copper pipe sizes. There have been no problems in the 2 years since I set it up. Incorporate a couple of drops to keep the air dry and you're all set. I still vote garage, though. My compressor is in the garage attached to the house and it;s a little noisy when it kicks on. It would be even louder in the basement.

I think a major concern should be freezing temps. A cold compressor, with ice in the bottom of the tank can be a bomb in the making. Is your garage or breezeway heated? Will temps be above freezing?

I have no experience with freezing temps and compressors, but I highly doubt it would be an issue. The entire tank would need to be full of water for the expansion of the ice to affect it. If there's just a few gallons of water (ever seen a few gallons of water in an air compressor tank? Me either) the expansion might add 1-2 PSI to the air in the tank. That shouldn't cause a failure.

-Spike

I think a major concern should be freezing temps. A cold compressor, with ice in the bottom of the tank can be a bomb in the making.

Please explain. Cause I don't see how this could become a "bomb", especially since a) I drain the tank after every time I use it, and b) there is a safety pop-off valve on the tank so it can't over-pressurize.

Is your garage or breezeway heated? Will temps be above freezing?

The breezeway is, but there's no way I'm putting it in there. The garage isn't. Yeah, it gets cold up here, definitely below freezing.

I'm pretty sure I've decided to put it in the garage. That's where I parked it yesterday when I took it off the truck.

My 80 gallon is in my shop and it is loud when it is operating. Next shop I do I will put it in an isolated room to cut down on noise. I would put it where you work the least.

We built a plywood/2 inch foam panel box that goes around the compressor it has hinges so it will open up easily and it is 8' tall and the top is open for air flow and it does a great job of keeping the noise down.

I have a 18 cfm 60 gal compressor, it was a pain to get in the basement, but boy, am i happy doing that.
18 cfm doesn't start very often. It would depend on the size on compressor, and if you have people sleeping in the basement. My oldest daughter sleeps in the basement and it was never a issue. If your compressor is low in cfm and will start often, it is going to be a issue if someone sleep in the basement. Otherwise i vote for basement.

I use a hose from the basement to the garage. It doesn't leak at all, and i never shut the compressor off.

I use a hose from the basement to the garage. It doesn't leak at all, and i never shut the compressor off.
You're going to be highly depressed someday if that hose bursts while you're not home and the motor runs until it burns up. Hoses burst, given enough time. Shutting off the compressor or using a solenoid to shut off the air to the hose is cheap insurance against a catastrophy.

-Spike

You're going to be highly depressed someday if that hose bursts while you're not home and the motor runs until it burns up. Hoses burst, given enough time. Shutting off the compressor or using a solenoid to shut off the air to the hose is cheap insurance against a catastrophy.

-Spike

You are right, i'll start to shut it down when i'm away. :doh:

I have some knowledge on the subject

put it in the basement.

Avoid the problems that can be associated with running in low temps

dont sweat the fact that you have to run an extra 10' of pipe through the breezeway.

The lack of noise in the garage will be well worth it.

as it is a 60 gallon tank the CFM wont be over 21 cfm

1/2" pipe will more than adequate to 100 ft. negligible pressure drop.

Avoid Pvc pipe if you can. It isnt made to handle the heat of the air or the oil that is moved by the compressor. (even the best quality new compressor moves a very small amount of oil)
The oil will soak into the plastic and soften it .. resulting in an explosion of the pvc.

If you plan on painting with the air. black iron or copper make for a nice aftercooler. they disapate heat far greater than plastic is capable of.

when you get to piping your garage post up again. and i can esplain the Industry best practice way of plumbing.

As for my creds on the subject. I was an outside service man for
a compressor house for 10 yrs. I have seen a few busted up walls from pvc.

misssed something

If you plumb your shop in copper. Do not use Sched M copper
commonly used for water pipes in homes.
Schedual L is the ticket.

I am just elaborating on Cruiserdrew's post.

Copper is the absolute best solution for small applications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom