Air Bags Inside OME Coils (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mingles

GOLD Star
Threads
I have run Firestone airbags inside my stock LX rear coils for the last 25K miles without a problem.

I have now switched to OME 861/862 coils and the diameter of the spring steel is thicker than the stock coils. With the stock coils the deflated air bags floated freely inside the coils. When I swapped the bags over to the new OME coils they are very tight inside the coils even when deflated.

My question is if it is OK for an unloaded air bag to be "jammed" inside a coil or should it float freely within the coil through the travel of an unloaded suspension. My challenge is that the bag is now moving with the spring and stressing the air fitting connection on the bag and causing it to leak.

One thought is that the bags have stretched over time to the point that even a deflated bag is still of larger diameter than when it was new. I normally run 10 psi in the bags and occasionally bump it up to 25 psi for a trailer with 450lb tongue weight.

Thoughts?

I have bags on OME coils also. It's my understanding that the bAgs should always have contact with the inside of the coils even when not "in use". Seems like maybe you have them mounted to high in the spring or not enough allowance for movement in the airline

I have bags on OME coils also. It's my understanding that the bAgs should always have contact with the inside of the coils even when not "in use". Seems like maybe you have them mounted to high in the spring or not enough allowance for movement in the airline

Thanks for the feedback. I realize this question pertains to probably less than 1% of the 80s out there but it is good to hear someones real world experience. Right now my bags are about 2 spring wraps up in the coil from the bottom. I will reseat the air lines and shift them to the very bottom of the spring.

Thanks for the feedback. I realize this question pertains to probably less than 1% of the 80s out there but it is good to hear someones real world experience. Right now my bags are about 2 spring wraps up in the coil from the bottom. I will reseat the air lines and shift them to the very bottom of the spring.

I run the OME mediums with air lift bags--mine are somewhat tight as well, but I can move them around pretty easily when not carrying any pressure. I have run mine in OME coils for ~100,000 miles with no issues other than occasionally having to re-seat the hose connection. The next time I do that I plan on dabbing some silicone on there to keep it on longer...

I run the OME mediums with air lift bags--mine are somewhat tight as well, but I can move them around pretty easily when not carrying any pressure. I have run mine in OME coils for ~100,000 miles with no issues other than occasionally having to re-seat the hose connection. The next time I do that I plan on dabbing some silicone on there to keep it on longer...

Do you feed your air supply in from the top or bottom? I have mine currently feeding from the bottom but am thinking of switching it to the top. I am also thinking of switching to the Air Lift bags as opposed to the Firestone. The Firestone fittings are a press collar and insert hose type fitting whereas it looks like the Air Lift bags are a simple barb nipple and a clamp. The press collar fittings work fine until they get some grime in them and now I cant get them to seal. Clamp and nipple seem like a much more reliable system.

Do you feed your air supply in from the top or bottom? I have mine currently feeding from the bottom but am thinking of switching it to the top. I am also thinking of switching to the Air Lift bags as opposed to the Firestone. The Firestone fittings are a press collar and insert hose type fitting whereas it looks like the Air Lift bags are a simple barb nipple and a clamp. The press collar fittings work fine until they get some grime in them and now I cant get them to seal. Clamp and nipple seem like a much more reliable system.

I feed them in from the bottom as there is already a hole in the spring perch. IIRC, you have to open it up a bit as it isn't in the exact center of the perch. I don't even bother with the clamps and run 25 psi regularly with no leaking.(except for the aforementioned periodic reseating at roughly once per year.)

Great info. Thanks!

also run airlift bags inside ome 863j coils, airline through the bottom of the coil. bag sits tight against the coils.

question- How much of the inner coil bumpstop did you guys cut off? Is it in contact with your airbag?

I run an airlift system. grinded out the holes in the perch to allow for nipples on the bottom...removed the bumpstops, and can get an extra 3 inches of lift of I overpressure to 50 psi, with stock springs and the OME.
I ran each bag with its own valve to adjust for imbalanced loads. and typically keep some air in at all times.....except the time when one popped (while parked)

I've run OME heavy 2.5" (don't recall part #'s) for years. I run the air hoses out the top with my Airlift bags. Original install ground out the old threaded hole from the bump stops as I recall. I'm actually on my second set of bags. First set hose connection at bag began leaking from years of use. They do remain in place against the coils. I typically always leave about 10psi or more in the bags. Never totally deflated per mfg instructions!

following, I am considering this route. I have 851/863 highest load springs and the rear end still tends to get low when we are all packed up for a trip or towing. It would be nice to simply add some height to the rear springs.

following, I am considering this route. I have 851/863 highest load springs and the rear end still tends to get low when we are all packed up for a trip or towing. It would be nice to simply add some height to the rear springs.
I'll post a pic if I can find it this evening--I had the 80 loaded so much I couldn't get the landing pad back onto the tongue jack running OME mediums--added 20 psi and she sat nice and level. The only issue I have ever run across is that you lose the rear braking advantage the LSPV provides when you use air bags. Not an issue if you have trailer brakes, but it gets interesting when you don't and the LSPV thinks you are unloaded....

I have Stock Springs and the Air Lift Bags.
Bought them open Box on Amazon for about $75.
Took an evening to put them in. Used a step bit to enlarge the bottom air line hole.
Leave about 15 psi in them. and the are snug in the springs.
So far they work great. I hear they really excel with a tongue heavy trailer, but have not tried.
Super Simple Concept and a No-Brainer if you already have on-board air.
Got a set for the wife so we can change her firmness at will...I kid, I kid

Guppie - do it! I went from a load leveling hitch (not recommended by Mr Yota) to air bags towing a 4000 lb trailer for my scout troop. That trailer plus all the gear in the truck (gear included usually 3-4 scouts too!) and the truck had some very serious squat without either leveling method. Airbags work great. Keep them on separate valves so you don't get air transfer from one side to the other!!

Hijacking this thread (a little) but has anyone used these with TJM progressive coils? The top 3 coils are smaller diameter and are meant for an compliant unladen ride (which I love) but when loaded up they are in coil bind and bring the back down to stock height for liberal use of the hitch in off road situations. Also, what does adding these do to flex? Seems like they would limit spring travel to a degree.

Guppie - do it! I went from a load leveling hitch (not recommended by Mr Yota) to air bags towing a 4000 lb trailer for my scout troop. That trailer plus all the gear in the truck (gear included usually 3-4 scouts too!) and the truck had
very serious squat without either leveling method. Airbags work great. Keep them on separate valves so you don't get air transfer from one side to the other!!

I am considering it. How did the addition of the air bags effect the on road feel and the off road dynamics of the truck? I am brand new to air bags. Once concern is adding something that I will need to mess with and fix after installing. Right now my truck is super reliable and I try to think about everything I add.

I've run airlift bags (seperate valves for each side, run up to the gas tank door) for about 10 years. My lines run up thru the bottom, and I cut the bumpstops at the closest ring to the frame (had a bolt that would NOT break loose). I'll be installing OME stock height kit soon (when its not 139 degrees outside), and will reuse the bags. The bags help tremendously, especially with the lexus softer springs. I keep about 12-15 lbs in them at any given time, more if im hauling a lot of gear.

I am considering it. How did the addition of the air bags effect the on road feel and the off road dynamics of the truck? I am brand new to air bags. Once concern is adding something that I will need to mess with and fix after installing. Right now my truck is super reliable and I try to think about everything I add.

My bags have been trouble free until I pulled them out to swap them into new springs. They make a world of difference in stiffening up the rear end and leveling up either a heavy load in the back or a heavy trailer tongue. Even unloaded I find the truck rides better with the bags at mild pressure (10 psi).

I ran the air lines up to a gauge and fill valve on the console and keep a small bike tire pump in the door pocket to adjust pressure. Even with air line running front to rear in the truck, and all associated connections, the pressure will hold at 25 psi for at least a month before I need to top it off.

Scan Guage 1.jpg

Loaded with about 500 lbs on the truck and 480 lbs on the tongue. Towed and rode fine (bags are at 30 psi) but this is about the max I would use them for. With this load the rear springs were still soft going over something like a speed bump.

Scout Trailer.JPG

Guppie - stevezero and mingles have summed it up pretty well. Keep the bags with some pressure all the time. IIRC AirLift does recommend 10psi minimum. At that pressure, you can pretty much do anything as if you had just straight coils. Put a full 30psi in there and you will see your rear end come up an inch or so. It is totally wonderful towing and I like to even run about 20psi around town even with OME heavies because of the storage drawer, all it's associated stuff, Kaymar rear bumper with tire carrier and ladder/jerry can carrier, ARB fridge, Puma compressor and the INTI rack up top all weighing down the rear end! I don't think the ride is too soft or harsh either.

mingles - about the same size trailer I pulled for my troop! I ended up putting dual axles on ours because the trailer weighed in at around 4000lbs fully loaded! On a 3500lb rated axle, I just wasn't comfortable, especially with scouts in the truck with me. Also added electric brakes to the trailer with that much weight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom