Air bag experience (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here are the pics that I got from the PO of the bags...
image-115415364.jpg
image-2974599931.jpg
image-1983969271.jpg

Here are some if the current install. I mounted the top bracket a bit lower to allow for more droop, and because the frame is a little higher at that point.
image-1041746048.jpg
image-2762752620.jpg
image-2529056768.jpg

image-682041565.jpg

image-3783959023.jpg

Eventually I may add a 3/8" spacer between the frame and bracket to straighten the bag out a bit.

Eventually I may add a 3/8" spacer between the frame and bracket to straighten the bag out a bit.

Renewing an old thread.... I plan to install a pair of THESE when I return home from Austin, TX in a month...

I want to eliminate' at least partially, cruiser lean and raise the rear end, a bit, when I'm carrying a full aux tank.

Are you still pleased with your install?

Enquiring minds...
thanks!

For BOSS air bags I'd check out --> http://www.airsuspension.ca/distributors.php
They quoted me $300 shipped to my door... $260 if I came and got them. I'd have preferred them, but they wouldn't have cleared my rear disc Calipers.

To answer your question: I'm still very happy with them, they've improved my ride & handeling, levelled out the truck, are easily adjustable, and improved flex.

The biggest downside is that, much like tires, need periodic checking/adjustment of pressure... They're fairly low volume, so a small amount of air can make for quite a bit of pressure change. I've not reconnected my onboard air again, nor permanently mounted the filler valves. I'd highly recommend having guages on them to make it easier to monitor pressure. I find I need to top them up every 2-3 weeks for optimum performance.

THis mod is still on my must do in future life list. One of these days. I first need to decide if I want to go to the trouble to have soft 2" lift springs made or stick with the stock leafs (leaves??).

My truck has 1/2ton leaves on it factory and riding unladen its pretty stiff. Its hard to even get it to flex all the way to the bumps in the rear. I'd love a soft set of springs with a set of Boss bags fhr when I have a full load.

For BOSS air bags I'd check out --> http://www.airsuspension.ca/distributors.php
They quoted me $300 shipped to my door... $260 if I came and got them.
The biggest downside is that, much like tires, need periodic checking/adjustment of pressure... They're fairly low volume, so a small amount of air can make for quite a bit of pressure change. I've not reconnected my onboard air again, nor permanently mounted the filler valves. I'd highly recommend having guages on them to make it easier to monitor pressure. I find I need to top them up every 2-3 weeks for optimum performance.

Thanks - I'll check them out.

I've had Firestone bags on my Tundra for several years - they max out at 100 psi and you can inflate them with a hand pump - I run 10 psi normally and 50 psi when I'm towing my trailer. It levels my truck out nicely when it's loaded.

I love the air bag concept and have been trying to find some that would work on 44 - I think these will work fine.

My only concern is that I can deflate them enough to continue to park in my garage - I won't mount them if I can't and I only have 1.5" of clearance, at the door.

Do you know if you can deflate your's down to the height that it was before you mounted the bags?

I've got the same question in to BOSS - waiting for an answer. Sure hope so!!

Thanks!!

Mine can be deflated down to 10 psi, below 20, its back to pre-bag height. I don't really notice any lift below 30-35 psi. More or less, they've got 10 sq in... making for 10 pounds of off loading per psi. 50 psi/bag makes for about 1000 lbs of assist/off-loading. 10/bag makes for about 200 lbs.

From what I recall, Boss bags can go down to 0 psi.. I'm sure they'd allow you to return to stock height also.

That's what I wanted to hear...

They can be deflated to 0 psi and inflated to 160 psi - my concern was from having to raise the frame 3 inches in order to get the requisite 8" (BOSS) clearance. My springs are probably sagging that much... If I install them and find that, when flat, they are still 8", I have a problem...

I've asked BOSS to tell me the minimum height of the bags/brackets when completely flat...

Hoping you are right...

Thanks!

Here's the reply u got from CSI

Hi Bikersmurf, the airbag kit is $300 delivered to you. I think they fit OK on the early FJ's (I know they fit ALL the other leaf sprung Cruisers. The airbags will solve your problems and when you are empty you dont need any air in the bags (zero air) unlike other bag kits that require you to always have 5 or so psi. If you want to control from in the cab we have numerous options starting with the simple incab kit for $175. Then full OBA kits starting at $350 delivered.

Regards Reece
BOSS Air Suspension
View attachment 861353

Reece at BOSS said the advantage to BOSS is they can go to zero air. I believe You remove the bumpstop & mount to make the space to install it.

I'd check with Reece, and the Ausie sites to confirm what you need to know.

Yes, the rubber bumpstop and the steel bumpstop mount will need to be removed.

I'll play it safe and check with BOSS-AU directly.

Thanks!

So you'd need the minimum height of the boss to equal your current bump stop height- at least that's what I was planning.

Pete

Checking with BOSS-AU would be the way to go. Reese knew the product, but not the specific application. Aussies have a lot more 40s down there.

Checking with BOSS-AU would be the way to go. Reese knew the product, but not the specific application. Aussies have a lot more 40s down there.

I emailed BOSS-AU on Sunday and haven't heard back yet.

But I jacked 44 up to just under 9" of clearance between the frame and axle and had to make a 23" stand to place under the back bumper.

image.jpg

image.jpg

With it lifted 23" at the bumper, it appears I still have a small margin of garage door opening clearance.

Plus, I am currently holding it up by the very back. When airbags are installed and the stand is removed, the back of 44 will be somewhat lower.

Also, I read ( I think it was in the CA link you gave me) that compressed height is some mm value that I converted to just under 3" - 75mm, I think.

So, while I'm hoping for confirmation from BOSS-AU, I don't think I will have a problem.

We are in Albuquerque New Mexico tonight, on our way to Austin... I'm hoping to place my order before our month in Austin is up.

I left it up on the stand for the next month, so I don't completely flatten my springs while I'm gone...

There's a lotta weight back there right now, as you will see from the following confession..,

I have a confession... I feel completely stupid... I ran all the gas out of my aux tank on my last excursion. I forgot I refilled it the day I took my Wife out to drive it.

So I have 3/4 of a tank, about 16 gallons in the aux tank.

I forgot that, so I didn't realize 44 was setting 3" lower than normal in the back, as I was measuring for air bags...

So, I'm convinced the BOSS bags are the way to go!

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited:
Old thread, but after reading everything, I decided to order this Boss Air Suspension LA83, and I just finished with the installation. This helped me correct the lean problem to the driver’s side and control the rubbing on the back with the tires.

IMG_8602.jpeg

IMG_8599.jpeg

Old thread, but after reading everything, I decided to order this Boss Air Suspension LA83, and I just finished with the installation. This helped me correct the lean problem to the driver’s side and control the rubbing on the back with the tires.

View attachment 3586348

View attachment 3586349
jlizar, did the bags affect the ride at all? Any stiffer or the same? Been thinking of putting the same airbags on. Thanks

jlizar, did the bags affect the ride at all? Any stiffer or the same? Been thinking of putting the same airbags on. Thanks
I just installed everything last Saturday, so I haven't driven too much, but until now, it feels the same, not too bouncy in the back and no rubbing. If you have more than a 2" lift kit, you need the LA83T model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom