AHC Repair on 09 LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The most pathetic part about this story is that you could pay the dealer that $29,000 bill and definitely still have a ****ed up system.

I bet you have a ruptured line that can easily be replaced by someone who gives you the time of day during their diagnosis.

What a joke. These idiots must think they are in the health insurance industry.

OP must've forgot to ask about the special insurance rates, these are car hospital rates.

BTW OP ill fix it for half that. :)

EDIT: Actually they forgot to also quote the ECU replacement, so tack on another $4,500 OP.
Let me know how you would like to pay. We accept cash, card and offer competitive financing.

How bad are the lines rusted? That would explain some of the cost, but that would be like 5k total to replace. Maybe you can find some used parts from someone who took their AHC out.
The lines are pretty rusted. The underside has seen better days. Thats why I'm wondering if I should take the $$ and run to a new-to-me lx570 with a bit less wear and tear

OP must've forgot to ask about the special insurance rates, these are car hospital rates.

BTW OP ill fix it for half that. :)
Ha! I'll sell it for half that... what a racket. Great car, but these service departments are horrid

Even though it is probably an easy fix, but if it is actually a lot more work than it is worth. A "conversion kit" doesn't need to cost you $4k. You will just need 200 series shocks and springs, which will be around $1k. It is pretty easy to disable the whole system.

Screenshot_20210214-110437_Gallery.jpg

The lines are pretty rusted. The underside has seen better days. Thats why I'm wondering if I should take the $$ and run to a new-to-me lx570 with a bit less wear and tear
After this AHC experience, you still want to go get another LX?!

After this AHC experience, you still want to go get another LX?!
Absolutely! Its the dealerships involved, not the car. Aside from this, in 200k+ its needed a muffler (150k) and an AC line last year. Other than those issues its been general maintenance. Theres not too many vehicles you can say that about. Growing up my mom had a volvo station wagon with 150k - she cried the day she got rid of it. I feel the same about the LX

@Kcaps

have you checked out the clubhouse section of this forum for a competent independent mechanic. Have you checked any of the local Lexus groups? Or even Yelp? Their is usually a Lexus/Toyota master mechanic that will do work in his off hours.

@Kcaps

have you checked out the clubhouse section of this forum for a competent independent mechanic. Have you checked any of the local Lexus groups? Or even Yelp? Their is usually a Lexus/Toyota master mechanic that will do work in his off hours.
I have a few calls in to local shops. One has turned me down and said that issue needs to go to Lexus. Another shop said maybe -theyd have to see it, but they do work on RR and navigators (not the same, but same concept) so he wouldn't rule it out. And typically bills are in the thousands. Waiting on two callbacks.. Unfortunately we are a one car household and I see this lasting only a few more days before the husband runs out of patience and we have a sh*t or get off the pot moment.

I have a few calls in to local shops. One has turned me down and said that issue needs to go to Lexus. Another shop said maybe -theyd have to see it, but they do work on RR and navigators (not the same, but same concept) so he wouldn't rule it out. And typically bills are in the thousands. Waiting on two callbacks.. Unfortunately we are a one car household and I see this lasting only a few more days before the husband runs out of patience and we have a sh*t or get off the pot moment.
And that’s the problem with AHC. Diagnosing the issue is a nightmare and can be $$$$. Even Lexus dealers mess up. Independent shops won’t even touch it…why would you trust someone who is exposed to AHC even less than dealers! You can do it yourself if you’re mechanically inclined...but even then, it can be weeks on weeks of diagnosing and buying & replacing parts all along the system and costing $$$.

I hope one of those return calls will help you out. I wonder, based on your description and photo, that the problem is simply a rusted out AHC fluid line. Replace the line, flush the system, and then you can decide what to do next. A leak should not lead to replacement of the entire system or be complicated to R&R.

Changing a rusted line isn't more difficult than changing a rusted hard brake line, it's tight but doable. The line that usually fails is the one in front of the rear crossmember, right above the rear axle and exhaust or the line that continues that one.

Contrary to what the forum's AHC hater mentions, the system is pretty stout and fairy easy to diagnose and service. The recent onset of problems was because of a bad batch of AHC fluid at no fault of the system. These problems were difficult to diagnose because no one expects the correct fluid be the culprit.

And that’s the problem with AHC. Diagnosing the issue is a nightmare and can be $$$$. Even Lexus dealers mess up. Independent shops won’t even touch it…why would you trust someone who is exposed to AHC even less than dealers! You can do it yourself if you’re mechanically inclined...but even then, it can be weeks on weeks of diagnosing and buying & replacing parts all along the system and costing $$$.
Weeks and weeks of diagnosis? Replacing parts all along the system? lmao you ever heard of techstream? AHC isn't magic, it's a simple hydraulic system, no more complicated than a modern brake system.

Just don't let the shop put actual brake fluid in the system when flushing . . . that will indeed make a major issue.
Shop needs to keep fluid in the reservoir, there have been some incidents of debris in the tank getting sucked into the pump, so keep it with some fluid level.

It's almost certainly the hardline that @NYC570 is referring to, and there are a couple threads on here with folks working on that / some with shops and some DIY.
There are more of these coming as rust gets to this location over time, so please add on what parts you did need to replace, and what the labor was so we can baseline and build on this repair to help others.
The total costs should be labor + hardline (whichever one it is) + fluid to flush and find the leak with. Maybe some incidentals.
And as @turbo8 said, if you want to pull the system it's not a big deal for an experienced suspension shop and the basic parts aren't so much. Of course an upgraded suspension that can rival the comfort of AHC will be more than basic, but you could plan for that over time. And no fixed suspension is dynamic, but not every owner uses the height control much.

Also consider a rental, when talking thousands of $ on each decision a few hundred in rental to relieve the decision pressure might be a good investment.

Here is another thread on this issue. Repair cost was approximately $1,000.00

Just don't let the shop put actual brake fluid in the system when flushing . . . that will indeed make a major issue.
Shop needs to keep fluid in the reservoir, there have been some incidents of debris in the tank getting sucked into the pump, so keep it with some fluid level.

It's almost certainly the hardline that @NYC570 is referring to, and there are a couple threads on here with folks working on that / some with shops and some DIY.
There are more of these coming as rust gets to this location over time, so please add on what parts you did need to replace, and what the labor was so we can baseline and build on this repair to help others.
The total costs should be labor + hardline (whichever one it is) + fluid to flush and find the leak with. Maybe some incidentals.
And as @turbo8 said, if you want to pull the system it's not a big deal for an experienced suspension shop and the basic parts aren't so much. Of course an upgraded suspension that can rival the comfort of AHC will be more than basic, but you could plan for that over time. And no fixed suspension is dynamic, but not every owner uses the height control much.

Also consider a rental, when talking thousands of $ on each decision a few hundred in rental to relieve the decision pressure might be a good investment.
My vote is to pull the suspension out and get rid of the AHC. I don't ever use it these days (in my younger years I did actually go light off roading and thought the whole set up was great) but my husband has to lower the car to fit in his work garage (welcome to downtown Cleveland) so he wants to keep AHC but wholly unwilling to spend much to fix it lol. And I'm not even going to suggest a few hundred in rental - that's a no.

They’re trying to steal your car for $12k and scare you off from fixing it with a total system replacement quote. As others have stated here, when one part fails and it’s noticed immediately, the whole system doesn’t take a dump. No reason you’d need new shocks and struts from this failure.

Even if you DID need a whole new system you’d be better off finding a shop to put an LC or Tundra/LC (front/rear) suspension in and then selling it at a premium to a private party who’s looking for a cheap (er) 200 series to lift.

Hell, you could probably sell it as is to that same type of person for more than the dealership is offering. If I hadn’t just bought an LX, I’d start the bidding at $15k!

Im curious @Kcaps how much maintenance was done on that AHC in 205k miles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom