After market temp gauge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Broski

I love Wheelin my 80
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm interested in installing a after market temp gauge in my reg. I'm look for recommendations on brands, mechanical or electrical, where to mount it and why. If you already have one post picture of where you have it mounted.

Thanks

I've got the Koso

koso-esized-jpg.1859244

I mounted the sensor in the upper radiator hose with the glowshift hose adapter thingy. My only gripe is that it doesn't read any real change in temp until the truck reaches operating temp and the thermostat opens. I think that's because of the mounting location. So when you start it up in the morning it will read 40* or whatever the resting temperature is and you drive 5 minutes and watch the factory gauge start to warm up but nothing happens on the Koso, and then within a minute it jumps all the way up to 170*. After that, readings are accurate and real-time.

I've got the Koso

koso-esized-jpg.1859244

I mounted the sensor in the upper radiator hose with the glowshift hose adapter thingy. My only gripe is that it doesn't read any real change in temp until the truck reaches operating temp and the thermostat opens. I think that's because of the mounting location. So when you start it up in the morning it will read 40* or whatever the resting temperature is and you drive 5 minutes and watch the factory gauge start to warm up but nothing happens on the Koso, and then within a minute it jumps all the way up to 170*. After that, readings are accurate and real-time.
This is what i have been looking fore as there is no good place to mount a traditional round gauge. Plus I like the number read out. 👍

I’ve always liked the Auto Meter Phantom series gauges. Had a full set in my Chevy 20 years ago. Anyway, the sender is plumbed into the flat on the coolant discharge pipe on the left side of the head. It reads hotter than the factory one depending on engine load.
EEE4E8CF-13BA-44B8-9316-4BF7C127E228.jpeg

Koso on the radiator output aluminum pipe right behind the distributor, there is a flat spot on the top that looks to be purpose built to have the temp sender tapped into it.
Works great, I see the engine temp during warm up since the aluminum is attached to the block.

Koso on the radiator output aluminum pipe right behind the distributor, there is a flat spot on the top that looks to be purpose built to have the temp sender tapped into it.
Works great, I see the engine temp during warm up since the aluminum is attached to the block.
That where I plan on installing it, I have no plans to add two more hose clamps. and nice to know that it show the warm up. Looks like the Koso is going in ,I well order it today ;)

Koso here too. I had an Ultragauge and people on here seem to like them but in my experience it was a total POS. Flimsy, cheap plastic, would never save the settings. Always beeped at me and s*** too. Finally overheated and died, good riddance. Pic below is where my Koso is mounted. Only nitpick I have with it is it is bright as hell at night.

IMG_6634.jpg

Many of the options suggested are very good options, but expensive and have limited functionality.

I went with this and LOVE the functionality, available displayed information, and flexibility of mounting. All for under $40.

It also reads and clears OBDII codes and allows you to calibrate the speed displayed for larger tires. It will display any data that the OBDII system monitors.

Amazon product ASIN B07P37WY1R
1611585747191.png
y.

Many of the options suggested are very good options, but expensive and have limited functionality.

I went with this and LOVE the functionality, available displayed information, and flexibility of mounting. All for under $40.

It also reads and clears OBDII codes and allows you to calibrate the speed displayed for larger tires. It will display any data that the OBDII system monitors.

View attachment 2564474y.

The koso temp gauge is like $40, sure it's limited but we are talking OBD1 here so all of those OBD 2 port readers aren't an option. Koso is the best and simplest choice.

The koso temp gauge is like $40, sure it's limited but we are talking OBD1 here so all of those OBD 2 port readers aren't an option. Koso is the best and simplest choice.
Ahh - original post didnt tell what year we are taling about. Helps to post that right off the bat in the text of the question. Oh well.

View attachment 2564474y.
To be clear I have a 94 - OBD1 so this well not work, nor well a ScanGauge. The Koso is only $40 so not expensive.
Also I have and run a TOYOCOM and will continue to do so, It has way more eng. info then a ScanGauge plus reads eng. codes. The issue is that it needs a Android phone or tablet for a screen, I use a tablet that I have mounted in the cab, it's also used for navigation. I don't like clutter so I don't want to mount another screen and I don't like switching back and forth from Navigation to engine stats. I just want a simple Temp gauge that shows Temp in real time all the time. Clean simple small,real time.
When I need more info I can fall back to my TOYOCOM ;)

Last edited:
Ahh - original post didnt tell what year we are taling about. Helps to post that right off the bat in the text of the question. Oh well.
Your right. It's in my sig. That I have a 94 and in post # 6 I make it clear that It's a obd1 reg. I also asked about a temp gauge specifically not a multi gauge OBD2 reader.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom