Advise on Purchase - 97 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys, I'm new to the forum. I going to look at a 96 Land Cruiser w/locking diff's on Friday. Price is a $20,900. Only 50K miles. Anyway, I was hoping you guys could tell me if the price is reasonable given the mileage and secondly if there is anything I should look for (possible problems). The Car Fax checks out pretty will I think. One owner around NYC. Of course I'll look for rust, but I'm hoping that the thing just sat in the garage.

Also, I think they are giving me a little more than my trade is worth (maybe $1000). So is $19900 a fair price. Guy said it was perfect (of course). Sounds like it has just about every option as well.

Thanks,

New Guy on Site

Welcome.

Sounds like a good deal given mileage (the offer you stated, not the "for sale" price).

I would go to www.sleeoffroad.com and look through the the tech articles.

I would also go through the FAQ post at the top of this forum and read about some well known issues.

Check the knuckles for leaks, the engine for leaks, the tranny for leaks, etc.

Most pre-purchase inspections can tell you if there is something wrong just by "feel." If you see it is neglected inside, it probably was mechanically as well as an example.

Good luck!

Most people here will say that price is too high. Then again most people here will say a 97 with 24k miles for $13k is too high :flipoff2:

At any rate the price given the mileage is almost what you would pay for that in California where rust is unknown. If it truly is rust free, as in no rust at all, I'd say it's not too bad a price. Truthfully it's up to you.

price seems a bit high, especially if it does not have full lockers
check the price books and ebay, will tell you right away

but, eh, you will forget the price in a few years anyway if you're happy :)

(now, of course, if it's a lemon, you won't forget if you paid too much... :D )

E

Is there a difference between the locking differentials & the full lockers that you just mentioned? It has the option that was available in 1996.

I agree it's a little on the high side, although I don't see a lot of others w/that kind of mileage & clean Car Fax.
I did see one 40th Anniversary for 34K. Real nice & looked like a FL vehicle, but that's way out of my league.

sorry, by full lockers I meant both front and rear diff lockers in addition to the center diff locker that everybody has...

the lower the mileag the better, of course, but keep in mind that this is less critical for the cruiser than for many other vehicles

the 34K is ridiculous btw

E

A quick check at Nadaguides.com shows:

Used Car Consumer Prices
May 5, 2004
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser-6 Cyl.-4WD
Wagon
50,000 miles

Low Retail Average Retail High Retail
Base Price $13,100 $15,200 $16,375

Mileage Adjustment
50,000 miles add: $2,620 $2,620 $2,620

Certification and Extended Warranties
Total Price $15,720 $17,820 $18,995

FSUSTEVE,

So if it's "perfect", NADA says $19345 w/the moonroof. That plus the $1000 I think they are giving back in the trade in brings me to w/in $800 of the price we discussed on the phone.

So anybody have some common "imperfections" I should be looking out for?

This is just my opinion, having not seen the vehicle, but I tend to work from the low retail price when shopping. No vehicle unless it's been in a vacuum is perfect. Show me all maintenance records, has the thing got any upgrades (wheels, bumpers, lift, winch) is there one scratch or dent in the paint?

This guy/dealer has an 8 year old vehicle that sucks gas and requires more maintenance then your standard 2 wheel drive car. His market is somewhat limited by $2 a gal gas prices and the fact that the SUV craze is fading some. Work him some, you don't have to buy it but he has to sell it. Low ball him, worse he can say is no.

I'll agree high, this guys wants to sell something and it is becoming less desireable from the fuel comsumption side of the coin. Come in low, when gas is $2.50-$3.00 gal what is it going to be worth sitting on his lot?

Also you don't mention what you are trading in and what they are offering, I might change the transaction.

andre

Too much money.

Well damnit, now I have to revise my statement :flipoff2:

I will agree with the one piece of advice I always keep in mind while shopping:

"work up when buying, work down when selling."

jhgnag,

Your way of thinking is that you are in-line with dealer prices. There are 3 price levels: dealer, private-party, trade-in value.

There are several places where you can get price information including www.kbb.com, www.edmunds.com, www.carpoint.com, www.nada.com, etc.

You can then check asking prices at www.cars.com, www.autotrader.com, etc.

In So Cal, there's quite a few for sale from private parties. I found a 96 with 100k miles, no rust, fully-loaded (leather, cd, running boards, 3rd seat, tow pkg, gold emblems, no-lockers) for $12k. The car was garaged and never off-road and it was in excellent condition. Carfax came clean.

My advice is that you learn the prices from all these places and then go shopping. Read this board for a week to educate yourself. If you feel comfortable buying from a private party, that's the way to go.

My guess is that the dealer paid close to trade-in value and if he did nothing to the car, you should at least try to get the private party price.

DNP,

Yes, the one on ebay is pretty close. I pulled the Car Fax. Only issue is that it was in an accident. Price is at $17,100.

I'll see when I get there.

Thanks everyone.

jhgnag,

Almost every one you will look at has the moonroof so don't place extra value on that. While it was technically an option, none (or very, very few) came to the US without a moon roof.

Make sure you know what you're looking at when you say it has the diff lock option.

You haven't told us what your plans are for the truck. Buying a clean low-mileage vehicle so you can commute long distances for a few years, then sell it is one scenario. Buying a Cruiser so you can trick it out with all the goodies and wheel it on weekends is another scenario. Landpimp just buys clean Cruisers so they can sit outside in the rain and he can look at them from time to time.

If it were me, I would buy one with a more typical price, and more typical miles. Say a '96 with 120k miles at $10-12k. Take the $8k difference and get the maintenance in top shape, buy all the toys, drive it a reasonable number of miles each year, and have fun wheeling it with your family and friends on weekends. But that's just me.

-B-

Have to agree with Beowulf,

I spent a couple of months scanning every on-line classified worth looking at, but it paid off when I found a 95 with 92K miles on it for $10.5K from the orginal owner with all scheduled maintenance performed and ye good old F/R Diff Lock option (which the owner had never used nor understood the purpose of).

Then I spent another $7K to bring it up to snuff: front axle, rear axle services, replaced the failing head gasket and more. But hopefully, cross your fingers, it is good to go for another 100k miles.

Take your time, find what you want at a good price - and don't settle. They are out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom