Advise on first build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off, let me thank all of you for all of the great tips and advice on this site. Long time reader, first time writer.

I'm looking for advice on my first overland/expedition build; more specifically the type of platform to start with.

My budget is pretty tight at 15k (this included the purchase price of the vehicle and add-ons/upgrades.

So far, these are what i'm leaning toward:
-4runner(2nd gen) w/ 5-speed (22r-e rebuild)
-FZJ80 - will probably have a lot of money to pour into it.
-J100 - with very high mileage
-FJ Cruiser(6-speed) - with high mileage and/or salvage title.

While the 4runner and FZJ80 will cost the least to get into, I know i'm looking at 7-10k for upgrades/repairs. I'm factoring in a 22re rebuild on the 4runner, but I'm worried about the 1FZ-FE lasting without a rebuild in the FZJ80.

The 100 series and FJ Cruiser are the newest, but will have the highest purchase cost.

MPG is not important enough to sway me one way or the other on any of these.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

i have 80 series and by now i already have over 15K in it and not done
but if you get basic stuff you can do good with 15K and 80 series is the way to go way more room than any other model you listed

Thanks for the first hand upgrade cost advise.

If I go the 80 route, I'm hoping to get into one for ~7k and do the front axle swap, PHH, OME suspension upgrades, brakes, rims/tires , other odds and ends for another 5-10k. I'm hoping that would be enough to get me through a 4,500 mile round trip. I'm a little worried about taking a LC with 200k+ miles that far, even after doing the basics.

I also figure I don't need an 80 with e-lockers. I'm not sure the premium I will pay will be well worth it for basic overlanding.

it is toyota :) no need to be worried i just got back from baja california 7300 miles not a single problem

Thanks! That inspires some confidence. Did you run into anything where your e-lockers came in handy on that drive?

Knowing that my engine would be different than yours, would you mind telling me what mileage you traveled with and if you had any head gasket work done?

I will go with the 80 ,best among the 3 ,without a second thought .
don't worry about the lockers , super high tyers ecc .
as you will certainly know in Africa all Toyotas are with NO lockers and run on 7,50 tyres .
roads are far worst then yours .
the car will do the job , if you don't go into stupid situations .....

just my opinion

bye Renago

I will go with the 80 ,best among the 3 ,without a second thought .
don't worry about the lockers , super high tyers ecc .
as you will certainly know in Africa all Toyotas are with NO lockers and run on 7,50 tyres .
roads are far worst then yours .
the car will do the job , if you don't go into stupid situations .....

just my opinion

bye Renago

That's good to know. I won't worry about finding one with e-lockers then.

1991 3fe engine and 178000 miles there is no need for e-lockers people pay extra 2000-3000 $ for that optional but if you really need e-lockers just go with ARB lockers but there is really no need for it

Thanks! I'll save the e-locker premium up front and install ARB ones down the road if I so choose to.

My $.02 would be to add a consideration for an early 4th gen 4Runner with the V8. As others have noticed on this forum, I am a big proponent of these, as it's the same bulletproof drivetrain as the 100 Cruisers, and can be had for pretty cheap money. You get a 5speed auto, center diff lock, a decent amount of aftermarket support (albeit not as much as for the 80's) good interior room and you can put relatively inexpensive lifts on and run 33's, which are a solid overlanding size tire. I'd say, get one for $6-7k ('03 or '04), $1k for tires, $1.5k lift, $2.5k for bumpers, $1.5k for skids, sliders, maybe a winch, and then have about $2-3k for a RTT, fridge, rooftop rack, storage etc. Depends on how you want to outfit it, of course

My $.02 would be to add a consideration for an early 4th gen 4Runner with the V8. As others have noticed on this forum, I am a big proponent of these, as it's the same bulletproof drivetrain as the 100 Cruisers, and can be had for pretty cheap money. You get a 5speed auto, center diff lock, a decent amount of aftermarket support (albeit not as much as for the 80's) good interior room and you can put relatively inexpensive lifts on and run 33's, which are a solid overlanding size tire. I'd say, get one for $6-7k ('03 or '04), $1k for tires, $1.5k lift, $2.5k for bumpers, $1.5k for skids, sliders, maybe a winch, and then have about $2-3k for a RTT, fridge, rooftop rack, storage etc. Depends on how you want to outfit it, of course

I've given the 4th gen 4runner come consideration. Finding one within my price range with sub 200k miles are pretty hard to find. GX 470s seem to be easier to find and cheaper. Although, I do see them come up in salvage auctions sometimes, usually not the v8 option.

A quick craigslist shows an 03 with 245k miles for 7.5k and an 05 with 190k for 10k. People in my area think their cars are worth more than they are.

I also need to look to see if they come with the non Japanese built v8 that the tundra has; or if it's the same in the J100.

I've given the 4th gen 4runner come consideration. Finding one within my price range with sub 200k miles are pretty hard to find. GX 470s seem to be easier to find and cheaper. Although, I do see them come up in salvage auctions sometimes, usually not the v8 option.

A quick craigslist shows an 03 with 245k miles for 7.5k and an 05 with 190k for 10k. People in my area think their cars are worth more than they are.

I also need to look to see if they come with the non Japanese built v8 that the tundra has; or if it's the same in the J100.
Yeah, that '05's asking price is probably not that out of line, that's why I think the value sweet spot is with the '03, '04s, as they didn't change the body until '06, and the vvti engine was the same as the 100s. I'd say if you want to go that direction wait until you can get a V8 with about 150k for about $7. And the whole truck is Japanese made, I believe.

I'm a little worried about taking a LC with 200k+ miles that far, even after doing the basics.

I also figure I don't need an 80 with e-lockers. I'm not sure the premium I will pay will be well worth it for basic overlanding.
My 98 UZJ100 has 225K miles, I'd hop in it and do a round trip to the east coast and back without a second thought.

Fuel mileage is important from a logistics standpoint, the greater the MPG the longer the range. For that reason I wouldn't chose the 100 series.

Yeah, that '05's asking price is probably not that out of line, that's why I think the value sweet spot is with the '03, '04s, as they didn't change the body until '06, and the vvti engine was the same as the 100s. I'd say if you want to go that direction wait until you can get a V8 with about 150k for about $7. And the whole truck is Japanese made, I believe.

I will keep an eye out for one, though I have serious doubts about finding any 4th gen 4runner with ~150k for under 8k in my area.

My 98 UZJ100 has 225K miles, I'd hop in it and do a round trip to the east coast and back without a second thought.

Fuel mileage is important from a logistics standpoint, the greater the MPG the longer the range. For that reason I wouldn't chose the 100 series.

That's good to hear the instills that much confidence.

Range doesn't bother me THAT much. Based on the average mpg of 14(fulley.com), that gives me a range of 350 miles/tank. Add 2 jerry cans and you have an extra ~140 miles.

That's good to hear the instills that much confidence.

Range doesn't bother me THAT much. Based on the average mpg of 14(fulley.com), that gives me a range of 350 miles/tank. Add 2 jerry cans and you have an extra ~140 miles.
Add gear, fuel, water, food, and take a few MPG off that. Add a roof rack, bumpers, winch, rock rails etc. a few more MPG. Running in low range 4WD all day? Subtract a couple more MPG. Oversize heavy tires? Another mile or two per gallon gone. It adds up quick. Your buddy running low on fuel? There goes one jerry can. (In my mind jerry cans are primarily a contingency resource.)

If you plan on sticking to areas where you will have access to fuel every day or two range may be no big deal. In the western US it's pretty easy to burn through 350 or 400 miles off road. Lacking an auxiliary fuel tank and driving a gasoline slurping Toyota V8 we plan our trips so we hit a town at least every day, which is limiting.

"I wish I hadn't brought so much fuel."
-No one Ever-

I have a rebuilt 80 with enough mods to go anywhere I want to...I put 500 hard miles off road last week. Not an issue or a fear of anything. That being said if I were going to start from scratch and build one for traveling it would be the wife's GX470. It is so comfortable, powerful and capable. A high mileage lexus can be had cheaper then the 4runner and all you need to worry about is timing belt and some baselining. Add limited accessories and enjoy driving vs. Fighting the hills and worrying about a small 20 year old sensor somewhere melting or rubbing to failure.
Offroad=cruiser
On road =GX/4runner
Have to find the balance and figure what your truly doing.
So many camping trips I've been on have been so far to get to and never use 4wd let alone need recovery gear etc. I could have taken literally any vehicle made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom