Advice on underbody rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking into a 94 JDM model, and had the seller take a few more pictures since it was lacking some of the underbody. Something had to be a point of concern, and this is it.

Looks pretty extensive in a good couple spots to my untrained eye, and like it wasn't in good condition when it had the undercoat of paint put on.

Want to know what anybody who's dealt with underbody rust thinks about how it looks. Ever seen a $23k rig look like this underneath?
S__4145232.jpg
S__4145228.jpg
S__4145227.jpg
S__4145233.jpg
S__4145230.jpg

That underside is in great shape. For a JDM & the price point I would have zero questions. Undercoating is very common with JDM trucks.

For a $23,000 cruiser, I think it looks really great! For selling purposes, most people would say that is almost rust free.

Keep in mind, rust happens. Any little parts of rust that you can see, I would recommend trying to remove it as best as possible without doing damage to surrounding areas. Treat it with a corrosive prevention chemical, then I would use macropoxy 646 to seal it.

I’m an old crusty military retired dude. My salty perspective is this:

It isn’t bad, but it will look worse in real life. If you’re unsure about it now, no one on the internet is going to give you warm fuzzy’s. If you’re looking for rust-free and you’re compromising for this one then you’ll probably regret it. You’re going to pay, take delivery, take a look underneath, and then buyer’s remorse will hit you like a Mac truck.

What’s the rest of the cruiser look like? Interior, engine, specs, exterior, KMs etc. $23k might be well worth it.

Rusted muffler, rusted cat shield. Wirewheel and paint, move on with your life.

Gotta agree with everyone here. I'd kill to have mine had looked like that when I got it. Granted it wasn't anywhere near $23k but still. The rust I do see is MINOR at best. Exhaust pieces are going to rust but they are easily replaceable. I would not be concerned based off the pictures. Will you find a little more once you see it in person? One thing I notice is some of the pieces are so smooth they look to be new. Possibly they've already replaced anything that was really bad before the respray.

Looking into a 94 JDM model, and had the seller take a few more pictures since it was lacking some of the underbody. Something had to be a point of concern, and this is it.

Looks pretty extensive in a good couple spots to my untrained eye, and like it wasn't in good condition when it had the undercoat of paint put on.

Want to know what anybody who's dealt with underbody rust thinks about how it looks. Ever seen a $23k rig look like this underneath?View attachment 3188131View attachment 3188133View attachment 3188132View attachment 3188130View attachment 3188129
Looks beautiful to me. You should see mine! We removed flaking rust using an air needle scaler. Since then we've been coating it annually with NHOU Home - https://nhoilundercoating.com/. Some say it is better than fluid film. Seems to have arrested the corrosion on our rig. Started this three years ago and just bought my 2nd 5 gallon container from them. Do all our cars now. We're in Wisconsin so it's essential.

What’s the rest of the cruiser look like? Interior, engine, specs, exterior, KMs etc. $23k might be well worth it.
Here's a few more. The KMs were pretty low, so I'm having an inspection done to verify it wasn't rolled back. Other than the steering wheel the interior is solid, engine bay looks clean, and exterior clean overall. Photos aren't nearly as thorough as BaT but seller is communicating and willing to put more work in as far as photos and inspections.
0705931A30221203W00104.jpg
0705931A30221203W00106.jpg
0705931A30221203W00117.jpg
0705931A30221203W00109.jpg
S__4145236.jpg

Here's a few more. The KMs were pretty low, so I'm having an inspection done to verify it wasn't rolled back. Other than the steering wheel the interior is solid, engine bay looks clean, and exterior clean overall. Photos aren't nearly as thorough as BaT but seller is communicating and willing to put more work in as far as photos and inspections.
S__4145236.jpg
0705931A30221203W00104.jpg
0705931A30221203W00106.jpg
0705931A30221203W00109.jpg
0705931A30221203W00117.jpg

Interior looks really nice. OBD1, 1FZ-FE, engine bay looks great even for having original Toyota clamps (if they weren’t replaced with original pain in the ass style clamps), auto, I don’t see a locker dial, unoriginal paint. Not sure I’d pay $23k for a patrol petrol JDM/RHD cruiser, but that’s beside the point.

Last edited:
Interior looks really nice. OBD1, 1FZ-FE, engine bay looks great even for having original Toyota clamps (if they weren’t replaced with original pain in the ass style clamps), auto, I don’t see a locker dial, unoriginal paint. Not sure I’d pay $23k for a patrol JDM/RHD cruiser, but that’s beside the point.
I would agree. I assumed this was a diesel being JDM. You can get a really clean domestic 1FZ (gas) with LHD for $23. especially without lockers.

I assume that the LC is still in Japan and if it is that rust is nothing especially for being on a island with a ton of salt air to kill it.

That engine bay looks great. It's pretty common to see all the fasteners rusted and the aluminum covered in splotchy white corrosion.

The undercarriage has more rust than I like, but it's definitely in the "very salvageable" category. Just make sure to either remove it and repaint or seal it with Fluid Film, Waxoyl, bar & chain oil + wax, or whatever. And get the inside of the frame rails, too.

Make sure to check the rearmost bottom of the body, behind the rear bumper. That and the rocker panels right behind the wheels tend to be the first body parts to rust.

Looks like a color-change to me. I don't think that's a factory color and the engine compartment should not be black.

No joy. All set to have the inspection done and the navy had other plans. Go figure. Have to revisit at the next duty station.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom