Acquired 1f motor disassembled, what to do with it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all. I bought this crate with a complete 1f engine (F222837)(1967?). It spun a bearing and the owner went with a sbc. Picked crank up at machine shop, was told it needs .040" bearings. Looks to all be here. I have no use for it, but couldn't let it go. Do I part this thing out or sell as a lot? Located in northern Illinois. Curious what you all would do with it and hoping I didn't just waste alot of money.
Thanks in advance
Mark
ps, can only put 5 pics up, I'll reply with a few more

IMG_1592.JPG

IMG_1593.JPG

IMG_1594.JPG

IMG_1595.JPG

IMG_1596.JPG

I think you should have ask that question before you bought it.

Fixing one bearing might work, but not a good plan IMHO. Then there the wear on the other stuff like bore, cams.... to make it a good engine again. Didn't $OR quit building/selling 1F's back in the 90's. Maybe some purest wants to do a correct early resto and would love to score one.

Sell together as rebuildable core - no one ever trusts a ‘rebuilt motor’ unless it could be traced to a rebuilder with some type of warranty on labor….youd never get your money spent back.

That said if you’re looking for a fun project…. rebuilding, cleaning, plating and making a pristine motor is fun .

If someone wants a project then they mostly want a complete project.
Its hard to tell if it's actually complete unless it's in one piece and showing signs of life.
Id put it back together with sensible investment, and document the heck out of it with photos and measurements.

Think I'll just hose it down with oil, wrap it all up and park it until I find someone looking for one. Maybe in the mean time, a weathered fj45 needing an engine will cross my path. I couldn't say no, and it's mine now. 10 years from now, guarantee someone will dig up this thread and ask if I still have it.

Think I'll just hose it down with oil, wrap it all up and park it until I find someone looking for one. Maybe in the mean time, a weathered fj45 needing an engine will cross my path. I couldn't say no, and it's mine now. 10 years from now, guarantee someone will dig up this thread and ask if I still have it.
Someone will come along. I picked up a spare F135 for my 40. Hahaha.

I am glad you realize that. As things age there is always someone who wants/needs original parts for a restoration. I believe a while back a crate engine, NOS, a Ford 427 from the 1960s , sold for 75K. Some FJ40 parts NOS are quite a bit more than original right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom