1f no compression looking for options (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pull the valve cover and give each rocker arm a smack with your orange Harbor freight deadblow hammer.
You probably have some stuck valves

If you have the means to do it, try blowing compressed air into each cylinder with it at top dead center (both valves closed). Doesn’t have to be much, I usually use 40-50 psi. This can help diagnose rings vs head issues. I try to do as much sleuthing as possible before taking stuff apart to guide me where to look.

If you have the means to do it, try blowing compressed air into each cylinder with it at top dead center (both valves closed). Doesn’t have to be much, I usually use 40-50 psi. This can help diagnose rings vs head issues. I try to do as much sleuthing as possible before taking stuff apart to guide me where to look.
Ok thanks

Removed head and cleaned in it up got all the valves to hold oil did not remove them all cylinders look pretty good installed new head gasket. so with a ice cold engine for leak down results I got 40 to 45 percent loss across the board in the moderate range all leaks seamed to be valve leaks. Should I put the pushrods back in and try to run a compression test or start it again I think the head gasket was the major problem but unsure if leak down results are decent enough to continue thanks

Valves holding oil is about meaningless especially with the spring installed. Holding back gasoline without the springs is a very good indicator that they will seal. You had the head off, you could have lapped the valves for almost free and done a good inspection at the same time.

Valves holding oil is about meaningless especially with the spring installed. Holding back gasoline without the springs is a very good indicator that they will seal. You had the head off, you could have lapped the valves for almost free and done a good inspection at the same time.
Ok thanks I could lap the valves when I remove the head again i am trying to get a idea if with block is worth getting a head reconditioned which I have no problem but just trying to not invest a lot of money and find out that engine needs rebuild and can't get parts

This is a great time to map out a direction with your 40. It sounds to me like you want to end up with an LS swap. If so and I were you I’d put my money there. I would definitely decide on the direction I wanted to go with it now.

When I got my F.5 rig in late 99, I pulled the head and had friend of a friend do a cheapy going through and cleanup on it. While the head was off and to clean up the piston tops, I was one by one putting mineral spirits into each cylinder, scrubbing with a parts brush, and then sucking out the dirty juice with a turkey baster. When I got to # 3, the spirits wouldn’t puddle up. It just disappeared instantly. And the same occurred on several other cylinders. So, I pulled all the pistons & rods and when I did, lots of ring pieces fell out. The cylinders measured moderately over the limit, slightly out of round, and with a bit of a ridge on the thrust side. I was not in a position to pull the block and have it bored oversized and well basically, do a complete rebuild on it. So, I cleaned up the pistons, put on a set of standard size rings, honed the cylinders till the ridge was (almost) gone, left a nice cross hatch, put in a set of rod bearings since they were apart, and put it back together hoping I could buy some time till I figured out what to do. It’s an offroad only rig but that was 24 years ago, and I still have compression numbers in the high 140’s and low 150s.

Just sharing this as you may consider giving those cylinders a measure up and something like this might be and option to at least buy ya some time.

When I got my F.5 rig in late 99, I pulled the head and had friend of a friend do a cheapy going through and cleanup on it. While the head was off and to clean up the piston tops, I was one by one putting mineral spirits into each cylinder, scrubbing with a parts brush, and then sucking out the dirty juice with a turkey baster. When I got to # 3, the spirits wouldn’t puddle up. It just disappeared instantly. And the same occurred on several other cylinders. So, I pulled all the pistons & rods and when I did, lots of ring pieces fell out. The cylinders measured moderately over the limit, slightly out of round, and with a bit of a ridge on the thrust side. I was not in a position to pull the block and have it bored oversized and well basically, do a complete rebuild on it. So, I cleaned up the pistons, put on a set of standard size rings, honed the cylinders till the ridge was (almost) gone, left a nice cross hatch, put in a set of rod bearings since they were apart, and put it back together hoping I could buy some time till I figured out what to do. It’s an offroad only rig but that was 24 years ago, and I still have compression numbers in the high 140’s and low 150s.

Just sharing this as you may consider giving those cylinders a measure up and something like this might be and option to at least buy ya some time.
Thanks for info

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom