A442F Transmission Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi from Iceland

Unfortunately, I don't have an HDJ80 landcruiser, but I do have a Patrol GQ on 46 inch tires, that has a 1HDT engine and an A442F automatic transmission that I installed myself from hdj80 1994. The electrical system is made from a landcruiser automatic transmission so I have all the features and diagnostics of a landcruiser.

I have been having problems for quite some time with the automatic transmission as it doesn't seem to want to go into overdrive. She otherwise behaves very well, shifts into third and picks up lock very clearly.
What I know:
- automatic transmission fluid OK
- electric valves are all new ( changes because lock up problems )
- over drive button works
- The A442F electronically controlled automatic transmission

I suspect two things but would like to find out if anyone has had a similar situation and has figured it out.
- The temperature sensor that allows the overdrive not to activate until after 55 degrees.
- Or Shift valve 3-4 is stuck in the valve body

I hope it's okay for me to post here.... attach one photo of the car alsoo...

Regards. Asgeir Thor

Snapchat-1826864350.jpg

That would be my guess and would be the easiest to test and eliminate before digging into the valve body.
Hello

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely go over all the electrical measurements before I start tearing the valve bodies apart.

I mean, I'm curious if anyone has any experience with a valve stuck in a valve body.... or other problem with over-drive....

Asgeir Thor

Are you sure the torque converter is functioning properly?

Hi,
yes I am pretty sure that the torque converter is working normally. I have a thermometer on the transmission, it's much less heat generation when I'm in lock up....

A standard A442f will only lock the torque converter in overdrive, not in 3rd. So if yours is definitely locking, you must be in overdrive. Unless you have a different valve body that allows lockup in 3rd….?

A standard A442f will only lock the torque converter in overdrive, not in 3rd. So if yours is definitely locking, you must be in overdrive. Unless you have a different valve body that allows lockup in 3rd….?

The torque converter locks up in both 3rd and overdrive on all US spec 93-94 models.

I stand corrected 👍

Hello

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely go over all the electrical measurements before I start tearing the valve bodies apart.

I mean, I'm curious if anyone has any experience with a valve stuck in a valve body.... or other problem with over-drive....

Asgeir Thor
Just follow the FSM troubleshooting process and report back. Not a hard thing to do. I mean is written by engineers and the folks that built the truck.

Nope, not allowed. Get outta here.

I kid, that is a really sweet setup, even if it's not a cruiser. I second the advice here, especially cause what you're describing isn't a common issue here but would be an easy signal to miss when swapping drivetrains.
That would be my guess and would be the easiest to test and eliminate before digging into the valve body.

Just follow the FSM troubleshooting process and report back. Not a hard thing to do. I mean is written by engineers and the folks that built the truck.
Solid worthless post here @MickeyB. If you took time to read anything, you’d see the OP is competent, has the FSM, is troubleshooting, is stuck, and is asking for help.

Why are you here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom