Fzj80 A442f 2-1 shift and 3-OD shift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Just hoping for some input before potentially blowing a lot of $. Late '95 fzj80 with a A442f.

I was driving along at 100kmh when my box Down shifter back to 3rd for no reason. Since then this has developed into not dropping back to 1st at traffic lights and has become so bad that if I don't manually shift through the gears and leave it in drive then it will only use 2nd and 3rd.

The box feels in great nick, changes well and always been maintained with full syn oil.

From what I could work out, the 2-1 and 3-OD shift utilise the same solenoid. I ordered a brand new set of 4 and installed them today. No improvements at all!

Keeping in mind that the box feels as good as new in every other aspect, I believe that the problem still lies with the solenoid.

They all measured 12.6 ohms (same as the old ones) when I installed them. I have (after much searching of wiring diagrams) just tested the resistance from the ecu plug back to earth. Giving me pretty much the same reading of 12.6 ohms...

I'm starting to think my ecu may have had its day, which made me quite sad after seeing limited to no stock of 2nd hand ones and the price of new ones 🤯.

Is there anything else I can try or test before I blow a heap of money?

Thanks in advance
Andy

I don't know this for certain, but I think all the 80s got the same A442Fs. Download the FSM for the 1994 80 series, from the 80 section of the Resources forum, and take a look at the transmission troubleshooting procedure matrix. It's a three step decision tree, with step three being rebuild the transmission. Steps one and two can be resolved with the transmission in place.

We didn't get the A442F here in 1995; the last ones were installed in the 1994 models, hence my recommendation. Don't download the Unit Repair Manual; that's only for rebuilding. The FSM has a transmission section; that's the one you want.

Also, just a thought, have you changed the fluid recently? I did that last year, and it made a significant difference in the operation of both my A442F and A343F equipped 80s, although I didn't have the problem you're describing.

Definitely run through the troubleshooting in the FSM on these. You may get away with something as simple as adjusting the TV cable properly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom