A442f 4H reverse issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The reverse in my 94 (auto-tranny A442f) will not engage in 4H, but when I switch to 4L it works like a charm? I know 4L requires less torque to engage. But thats the deal? Bad flanges? Bad clutch packing? Bad tranny?

The reverse in my 94 (auto-tranny A442f) will not engage in 4H, but when I switch to 4L it works like a charm? I know 4L requires less torque to engage. But thats the deal? Bad flanges? Bad clutch packing? Bad tranny?
Your front drive flanges on your hubs are stripped.

When you are in 4H, your center differential is not locked and it allows the center to just spin.

If you are in 4L, then your CDL is engaged and it is placing all power to front and rear equally. Basically, it is forcing the rear differential to do the work.

Try in 4H and reverse, and have someone lay down beside the truck and see if the front driveshaft is turning but you're not going anywhere.

Your front drive flanges on your hubs are stripped.

When you are in 4H, your center differential is not locked and it allows the center to just spin.

If you are in 4L, then your CDL is engaged and it is placing all power to front and rear equally. Basically, it is forcing the rear differential to do the work.

Try in 4H and reverse, and have someone lay down beside the truck and see if the front driveshaft is turning but you're not going anywhere.
I will try that, I’ve been messing with it all day and it seems that if you roll it backwards reverse engages. It slams but it engages.Also my Overdrive is flickering on the dash. Starting to thing it might be a shift sensor issue.

I will try that, I’ve been messing with it all day and it seems that if you roll it backwards reverse engages. It slams but it engages.Also my Overdrive is flickering on the dash. Starting to thing it might be a shift sensor issue.
Seems logical, but that shouldn't care if it's in 4L vs 4H. The only thing that changes then is the CDL, which points to the front drive flanges to me.

I will take a look, just praying it’s not a tranny issue. It’s been pretty idle. I see a bunch of problems with the OEM flanges. Is that a common occurrence with the Fj80?

I will take a look, just praying it’s not a tranny issue. It’s been pretty idle. I see a bunch of problems with the OEM flanges. Is that a common occurrence with the Fj80?
It's AWD so they take a beating with every mile. Consider them a wear item. I replaced mine after we bought the truck somewhere past 150,000. That's a pretty good life.

Then there are folks who like to run big tires, and that ups the ante.

Sounds like maybe the shifter linkage is out of adjustment.

It's AWD so they take a beating with every mile. Consider them a wear item. I replaced mine after we bought the truck somewhere past 150,000. That's a pretty good life.

Then there are folks who like to run big tires, and that ups the ante.
But why would the overdrive flicker like it does?

Seem to me if it were the drive flanges it would not move in forward or reverse.

Seem to me if it were the drive flanges it would not move in forward or reverse.
Same here, let me give a run down

the O/D light flickers (does not blink but flickers)
Slams into reverse if there is any sort of roll to it.
1st seems longer than usual and 2nd revs low. Kinda seems as if it’s in limp mode.

There are plenty of people on the board That are more knowledgeable the me, If you don't have a FSM you need to get your hands on one. I forget who, but you can down load one for free form one of the Mud members.
That being said the A442F is a very robust transmission ( sometimes referred to as Bus transmission) I have never heard of one going Bad. They are thought to be a stronger trans the the later model trans. However at there age they commonly have the solenoids go bad. I have a feeling that the solenoids mite be you issue.
When I was having problems with my A442F ( starting off in 2nd gear) the solenoids where the issue.
Mitsubishi solenoids can be used and can be found on line at a faction of the cost. It's also a one :banana: job to install them.
Here some info from my FSM and parts numbers of the solenoids. hope this helps
1615773898918.png

1615773928913.png
Note that you need 2 of the 97202072 solenoids if you going to replace them all and you should if you do it.
1615773985650.png

If it were drive flanges you'd hear and feel them slipping.

Sounds like the control body, worn synchros or dirty filter.

Automatic transmissions don't have synchros and the transmission is moving the vehicle in low range which leads me to believe the problem is not within the transmission. Depending upon level of wear/damage to one of the flanges or how long the problem has been present, striped drive flanges may not be audible or felt. They are easily checked by placing the transmission in gear, brakes applied. The front driveshaft should not be rotating or if the dust cap on either front wheel is removed the axle should not be rotating.

Automatic transmissions don't have synchros and the transmission is moving the vehicle in low range which leads me to believe the problem is not within the transmission. Depending upon level of wear/damage to one of the flanges or how long the problem has been present, striped drive flanges may not be audible or felt. They are easily checked by placing the transmission in gear, brakes applied. The front driveshaft should not be rotating or if the dust cap on either front wheel is removed the axle should not be rotating.
Drive flanges should not be biased to foreword or revere, where solenoids can be finicky, I am assuming he check the flanges as that was the first thing mentioned 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom