Shift Indicator Light & Reverse Light issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I will start by saying I have searched the 80 Tech Forum and read through five complete threads and partially through several other threads. All dealing primarily with a intermittent "No Start" issue which I do not have. Most deal with the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) and or it's connector (p/n 90980-11332 - I really did read the other threads and ordered the connector & took it apart, cleaned it and checked for the routinely reported corrosion there and had none) and the repair or replacement of those parts. There are a lot of good posts and "work arounds" for delayed starting or no starts including many from @BILT4ME , @alia176 , @NLXTACY , @jonheld and countless others. Most include "Non Start" issues and installation of relays, Ford Solenoids, indications of bad ignition switches, etc. and none mention the issue I have at this point.
one such post: 94 delayed cranking. Starter, ignition switch, or other? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/94-delayed-cranking-starter-ignition-switch-or-other.987114/

I bring this up because we all know someone else that owns an 80 has probably experience any issue that surfaces.

My issue is that my instrument cluster gear indicator lights work (I have replaced the D) but it requires me to move the shifter for them to light up. There is approximately 3/16" of travel or slop in the shifter in which if I apply slight pressure to it the instrument cluster lights or reverse lights if in reverse will illuminate. If I hit a bump the shifter moves backward into the actual gate on the shifter and the lights are not illuminated. Here is where my "starting issue" comes in. "Beaulah" or my 80 will not start in Neutral or at least when the "N" is illuminated. If I hold the key in the start position and apply slight pressure forward on the shifter "Beaulah" the starter engages. My reverse lights are similar; if the shifter is in the Reverse slot in the shift gate the reverse lights are not illuminated nor is the shift indicator "R". I have to press the shift detent inward and slightly move the shifter forward for them to illuminate.

I have replaced all of the dash cluster shift indicator bulbs with Toyota parts, removed and cleaned the NSS connector, disassembled the center console and inspected the shifter for an adjustment (the four bolts that hold the plastic shifter assembly's cover down are somewhat slotted and allow slight movement of the cover). I have looked at the shift linkage bushings to the transmission and while they are worn I am skeptical they are the issue.

Has anyone experienced this and is there an adjustment for the shift gate/shift indicator circuit? Is it possible worn shift linkage bushings would cause this?

Last edited:
kind of asking a non pertinent question here, but... Shouldn't the vehicle be in "P" park when attempting to start, not "N" Neutral?
So its worn or broken to the point where its not making and electrical contact in the spot where it should. And in order for the contact to be made, you are needing to push the shifter to the point just before making a shift for the correct electrical contact to be made. Then you can relax the shifter and the light goes out once is jostles out of place, but still operates as normal. But your gear selector light is not illuminated on the dash.
Might want to eliminate the possibility of it being the bushings. Good luck

Park and neutral are two different icons on your shift indicator. You don’t start your car with it in N, you start it in P. I’m not asking him about his neutral safety switch. That’s a different device in a different location.
With my question im trying to allow him to clearly convey a confusing part of his explanation, because he was trying to be funny and use movie quotes on a question he isn’t getting any answers to. It’s “Bueller” for the record, I believe
He said when his N is lit up he gets no start but push it forward so the light goes out but he’s still in NEUTRAL the starter engages
You’d think he meant park, no?

It is not actually called a Neutral Safety Switch in Toyota terms, but a Park/Neutral Position Switch. It is made up of two sets of contacts inside the A/T Indicator Switch, and is most definitely affected by the shift bushings and linkage adjustment. There is also an adjustment for that A/T Indicator Switch, which is done by loosening the mounting bolts and setting the arrow on the switch to align with a tab while in neutral.

I understood that Beaulah was not a movie reference, but the name of the OP's Land Cruiser.

Beaulah is a name of Hebrew origin meaning "Bride" or "Wife." While I am married and still question my wife's choice in men she often says I am married to the 80; hence the name, "Beaulah."

"P" illuminates fine and it starts as designed every time in Park.

No matter what our government thinks, starting a vehicle in Neutral can be a critical need. For example driving down Mount Evans the engine dies I would much prefer to be able to quickly select Neutral and restart the almost 3 ton vehicle than try to stop it without power brakes. Add the expedition trailer on the back and well . . .

Thanks @ToyotaDon and @jonheld ! I missed that in the FSM! Sounds like bushings and an adjustment are in order. I think I will add the installation of a new trans tunnel and shift gasket (mine is torn at the transfer case shifter) as a "while you're in there."

Sorry for the misinterpretation on the "beaulah" thing. Haha, it read to me like a person with a boston accent saying "bueller". I am from Boston area.

As Always, @jonheld with the top notch info.

Lastly, tbh, it has never really occured to me that the need to start the vehicle in neutral, would be a thing, as I always start my vehicle while stationary. But I fully understand the need to be able to restart going down hill in neutral. That would be scary. Thanks for teaching me something today!

Sorry for the misinterpretation on the "beaulah" thing. Haha, it read to me like a person with a boston accent saying "bueller". I am from Boston area.

As Always, @jonheld with the top notch info.

Lastly, tbh, it has never really occured to me that the need to start the vehicle in neutral, would be a thing, as I always start my vehicle while stationary. But I fully understand the need to be able to restart going down hill in neutral. That would be scary. Thanks for teaching me something today!
Restarting on the roll was more commonly used in the days of Carbs. You darn sure want to be able to restart in Neutral on steep trail ascents as you can let your foot off the brake and roll backward in Neutral if the front end starts to come over rather be stuck in Park. yo do have to feather the brake pedal carefully on the start up when the power brakes kick in or the same thing can happen.

The Park/Neutral Positions Switch bolt was loose. Followed the FSM procedure and although y bushings are dry rotted (new ones are on the way) the center hole in the bushing is not worn so the shift indicator lights, reverse lights and starter in Park and Neutral now function as designed.

I am sure someone will complain about my Wix 51516 filter choice, I have been running some Zetec cleaner through the block and changing filters every 500 miles and sending Blackstone samples. I am back to a Toyota now so everyone calm down.

1697836982257.png

Post updated 10/23/23 - On cold mornings I was experiencing a bucking and coughing on while engaging the starter. I have not had it occur since I adjusted the "Park/Neutral Positoin Switch" as it is referred to in the FSM. It is plausible the cold metal and loose bolt was allowing the starter circuit to engage sometimes or be interupted and maybe the coughing and bucking was rattling the PNPS into making contact. I will update this if this issue returns.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom