Reverse Camera Upgrade - Update (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok guys, some of you may have seen my previous post regarding my rear camera / rear view mirror replacement project.
Well, had to fine tune a couple of things and replace some things 'cos they didn't quite work but I now have the project finished and I'm very happy with it.
I had to replace the camera mount itself as I found it aimed a little too low, perfect for reversing but not so good for general "what's behind me" which was the original purpose of the thing.
I've found a good compromise and just need to learn / remember my points of reference.
On a plus, I've reduced that nasty little blind spot at the rear quarter by about 75% and generally, the view from the camera is very functional and clear.
I refitted the wind deflector on top of the hatch and had to cut a section out for the camera. I designed a surround / fill in piece so that it didn't look like I'd just hacked a piece out, I also incorporated a little sun shade to keep direct sun off the camera itself.
I then had to design a replacement body for the monitor itself, I wanted something a lot more robust that the cheap surround of the original and that had a lot more air space to keep the direct sun off the electronics. I wanted to use the stem of the original mirror as it's cast aluminium (aluminum) so incorporated a sleeve that fitted over the stem and bolts to it.
The monitor is fixed into position, cambered towards the driver by 15 degrees for viewing comfort.
The Aux feed and power sockets are positioned to the rear of the monitor body, I wanted easy access if I wanted to change things and also for that more rugged effect visually.
Ok here are the pics
rear cam 1.jpg
rear cam 2.jpg
rear cam monitor.jpg

Love it.

That's absolutely the best use for the piece of trim on the rear hatch I've ever seen. Also, pretty sweet overhead console.

Wow, that looks great. I love the 3d Print enclosure. Did you design that yourself! I'm just getting into 3d printing so I'm always impressed by the designs people make!
Hi, thank you so much and yes, everything is custom designed by me. Had a few iterations before I was happy with it, measuring the infill section for the wind deflector was an absolute PITA and had to rejig the camera mount as it was pointing a little low. I am very happy with the final outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom