A new leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just finished the PHH, LC has been sitting for a few weeks. I noticed this oil leak (I think). It always had a small weep, fluid never made it to the floor
Any recommendations where it could be coming from?

20220407_200546.jpg

20220407_200542.jpg

Rear main or upper oil pan arch seal. They are right next to each other. You can inspect both through the access cover on the transmission.

Either one is going to be an involved job. Rear main requires removal of the transmission. Upper pan arch requires lifting the engine up an inch or so to remove the pan and replace the seal.

I would not use an additive to seal. It's not a bad leak. Either repair correctly or leave it be.

Leave it for now. If it took a few weeks to become an actual drip or two, its no biggie. I actually consider leaks of this type to be an asset as they add a beneficial anti corrosion film to nearby parts.

To answer, I agree with the pan arch or rear main. Pan being more likely IMO.

Anecdotal but...
Had very similar weep.
Weeks later found the valve cover bolts @ hand tight.
+5ftlb yeet and that weep dried up.

What year/model 80 do you have?

When you end up having to do the head gasket that would be a good time to pull the engine and do the rear main as well. Mine did that for a long time before I ever addressed it. Usually they'll weep for a long time before they ever get severe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom