A few new 60 Series products (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would like to use this vehicle as a daily driver, comfortable off roader, and family troop carrier. It will never be put into serious rocks or twisty stuff, so... I am considering IFS. Originally, I thought about just building a chassis and incorporating 4Runner or LC a-arms and steering, but re-engineering that into a 62 is probably not something I have time to do.

However, I came across a FJC complete chassis/drivetrain for sale, even down to the tires. It has everything below the body line (fuel tank, front diff, arms, rear axle with e-locker, etc.). Looks like the FJC is about 1.6" shorter wheelbase. Stretching looks to be super easy on that one. It's also a little wider (~4") than the 62, which would be nice.

Here's the cool part. The front diff is driver's drop, which means the GM GenV L89 and 10-speed trans is back in play using a Jeep JK Rubicon transfer case (4:10).

I am not concerned about the amount fabrication needed unless it means getting into the body of the 62. I don't want to mess with OEM FJ62 sheet metal too much.

Just V8 swap the 62 and put a Dobinson's MMR kit on it. 10% the effort and 96% of the result. It sounds like you don't actually have time for what you are describing at all

The old iron SBC is still an option. They are cheap, reliable, and still wrench friendly.
80 series coilovers from Trail Taylor seems to be a better option than A-arms IMHO.

How about dropping in a used 3FE? Located in St. George, so picking it up may cost you $5 of gas. 😝

It's out of an 80, there will likely be a few peripherals to swap over from your engine (sensors? flexplate?.... I'm sure there are threads detailing the differences).

Last edited:
How about dropping in a used 3FE? Located in St. George, so picking it up may cost you $5 of gas. 😝

It's out of an 80, there will likely be a few peripherals to swap over from your engine (sensors? flexplate?.... I'm sure there are threads detailing the differences).

I went and looked at that one a couple of weeks ago. Looks like a good running engine, but it has about 260k on it, I believe. Labor rate at the local Toyota shop (non-dealer) is $2700 to swap it in. It was actually in a friend’s 80 series when he totaled it, so I do trust that it was taken care of. However, with that many miles on it, I would want to do a rebuild on it before putting it in, which is where the previous cost numbers come from that listed above. I just can’t justify that kind of money to put a 3FE back into it.

As for using an older GM engine, if I am going to the trouble of doing a swap and dealing with the drawbacks of a non-OEM engine in the vehicle, it will be getting a late-model direct injection engine. I don’t mind committing to a big build. I need something new for our SEMA booth next year anyway. 😂

In the meantime, it’s still doing duty as the daily driver.

Following along for the cargo product options you'll hopefully be prototyping for 60-series. I second the comments above by @Spike Strip regarding basic lightweight drawers, slide-out, maintaining visibility, etc.

While you're considering engine swaps, have you pondered putting in a 12H-T? Not as plentiful as used 3FE here in 'murica, but they can be found, and they reward you with OEM originality, tractor-like torque, that satisfying diesel rumble -- all of which adds up to better miles and smiles per gallon than their petrol counterparts.

I have owned a few 60's over the years, but had to sell my favorite one to fund the creation of a new business at the time. Fast forward about 5 years, and I was finally able to replace that one with a completely rust-free 1990 FJ62 to serve as a daily driver.

The company I started a few years ago is American Adventure Lab. We focus on vehicle storage components. Our primary market has been the late model Wranglers, but we will have a big push into the late model Toyota market early this year.

The FJ62 is not a vehicle we will officially support, but since I will be using it as a daily driver for myself and our family outings, I will be adding some functionality to it very shortly.

First up will be our modular storage system for the rear. It will be similar in layout to the Wrangler setup below. All 5052 aluminum construction and very flexible.

I may do a version of our new full width drawer on the bottom with the fridge slide on top. I need to keep room for the dog to ride back there as well.

That being said, I would love to put our expertise to work for the 60/62 world, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes. What does the 60 need, currently, that no one is providing a solution for?

This is not something I am looking to make money on. We have a very full plate for the foreseeable future. The 62 is more like a personal hobby for me and I enjoy the non-business aspects of it.

More info about AAL at https://www.instagram.com/americanadventurelab.

View attachment 3195964

View attachment 3195965

View attachment 3195966

View attachment 3195967
Looking good! We’re connected on IG and really sexy looking equipment you build.

Following along for the cargo product options you'll hopefully be prototyping for 60-series. I second the comments above by @Spike Strip regarding basic lightweight drawers, slide-out, maintaining visibility, etc.

While you're considering engine swaps, have you pondered putting in a 12H-T? Not as plentiful as used 3FE here in 'murica, but they can be found, and they reward you with OEM originality, tractor-like torque, that satisfying diesel rumble -- all of which adds up to better miles and smiles per gallon than their petrol counterparts.

At this point I am leaning heavily toward a FJC chassis swap and GM GenV L89 with 10 speed auto. I do like the idea of keeping it Toyota, but if I am going to the trouble of an engine swap, I might as well go all-in and create something unique.

Looking good! We’re connected on IG and really sexy looking equipment you build.

Thanks! Yes, if this makes it to our SEMA booth, it will be fully kitted out in the cargo area. We would have a full line of cargo components ready for it at that time, which is coming up quickly. In the next couple of weeks, we'll commit to doing it or not. Thanks for your interest!

At this point I am leaning heavily toward a FJC chassis swap and GM GenV L89 with 10 speed auto. I do like the idea of keeping it Toyota, but if I am going to the trouble of an engine swap, I might as well go all-in and create something unique.

Thanks! Yes, if this makes it to our SEMA booth, it will be fully kitted out in the cargo area. We would have a full line of cargo components ready for it at that time, which is coming up quickly. In the next couple of weeks, we'll commit to doing it or not. Thanks for your interest!
stout/metal under flares, MOLLE panels for qtr glass, lower tailgate and rear headliner. . .and maybe a quick attach MK19 tripod mount?

stout/metal under flares, MOLLE panels for qtr glass, lower tailgate and rear headliner. . .and maybe a quick attach MK19 tripod mount?

Ha ha. A MK19 tripod mount! Man, I don't hear much MK19 talk now. That brings back memories.

There have been quite a few requests for MOLLE on the interior of the side windows. That would probably be an easy one to knock out. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, though. Is there an existing product on the market for that? In my brief google'ing, I didn't come across one, but I want to be respectful of others' hard work if it exists.

I’d love to see replacement rear side panels where you have options for cutouts for different size speakers and can install things like amps, compressors, and cell phone boosters out of the way.

Ha ha. A MK19 tripod mount! Man, I don't hear much MK19 talk now. That brings back memories.

There have been quite a few requests for MOLLE on the interior of the side windows. That would probably be an easy one to knock out. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, though. Is there an existing product on the market for that? In my brief google'ing, I didn't come across one, but I want to be respectful of others' hard work if it exists.
After an exhaustive search, I can find nothing for FJ60 MOLLE except universal headrest or behind the seat panels. If anyone knows of something, please speak up.

No worries. . .I'll see if I can induce a few more in ya=)

Reserve PFC on his 1st UTA grabs a SAW, literally tosses it on to his right shoulder, snap. . .SAW vs Clavicle, SAW always wins=)

BDAR. . .always somewhere but nowhere at the same time, improvise.

Sand.

Hot food.

Shower.

Socks and underwear without sand in them.

MOLLE panels for the 60 series, lol.

Shane

The Australians have a ln “attic” above the rear view mirror where you can put a CB/Ham/UHF radio and store things. That would be a cool product that we don’t get here in the states.

The Australians have a ln “attic” above the rear view mirror where you can put a CB/Ham/UHF radio and store things. That would be a cool product that we don’t get here in the states.
Any pics of this?

I went and looked at that one a couple of weeks ago. Looks like a good running engine, but it has about 260k on it, I believe. Labor rate at the local Toyota shop (non-dealer) is $2700 to swap it in. It was actually in a friend’s 80 series when he totaled it, so I do trust that it was taken care of. However, with that many miles on it, I would want to do a rebuild on it before putting it in, which is where the previous cost numbers come from that listed above. I just can’t justify that kind of money to put a 3FE back into it.

As for using an older GM engine, if I am going to the trouble of doing a swap and dealing with the drawbacks of a non-OEM engine in the vehicle, it will be getting a late-model direct injection engine. I don’t mind committing to a big build. I need something new for our SEMA booth next year anyway. 😂

In the meantime, it’s still doing duty as the daily driver.
did you say SEMA?

If all goes smooth, according to plan, no hiccups, no further delays, no natural disasters, no alien anal probes. . .might c u there!

Any pics of this?
Yes, something like this:
OverheadTray.jpg

The beauty of this product, especially for 80s, is that you could replace the drooping sun visor with any sun visor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom