A few new 60 Series products (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
americanadventurelab.com
I have owned a few 60's over the years, but had to sell my favorite one to fund the creation of a new business at the time. Fast forward about 5 years, and I was finally able to replace that one with a completely rust-free 1990 FJ62 to serve as a daily driver.

The company I started a few years ago is American Adventure Lab. We focus on vehicle storage components. Our primary market has been the late model Wranglers, but we will have a big push into the late model Toyota market early this year.

The FJ62 is not a vehicle we will officially support, but since I will be using it as a daily driver for myself and our family outings, I will be adding some functionality to it very shortly.

First up will be our modular storage system for the rear. It will be similar in layout to the Wrangler setup below. All 5052 aluminum construction and very flexible.

I may do a version of our new full width drawer on the bottom with the fridge slide on top. I need to keep room for the dog to ride back there as well.

That being said, I would love to put our expertise to work for the 60/62 world, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes. What does the 60 need, currently, that no one is providing a solution for?

This is not something I am looking to make money on. We have a very full plate for the foreseeable future. The 62 is more like a personal hobby for me and I enjoy the non-business aspects of it.

More info about AAL at https://www.instagram.com/americanadventurelab.

G18A4019.jpg

G18A4369.jpg

G18A4521.jpg

20221214_174012.jpg

If you guys haven’t already, go check out the Instagram link. Definitely some top notch products.

I’ve always wanted a set of molle inspired panels for the cargo area. Preferably in front of the side windows.

Turns out there is a crack in the block
“Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing”.

Optimus Prime: Revenge of the Fallen

Sorry to hear about the bad news. But who knows what path it might lead to — maybe something great. Don’t discount the possibility..

“Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing”.

Optimus Prime: Revenge of the Fallen

Sorry to hear about the bad news. But who knows what path it might lead to — maybe something great. Don’t discount the possibility..
That's the first time I have seen Optimus Prime quoted, but it was spot on! 🤣🤣

I am evaluating all of the options. I spoke, at length, with Mitch from SwapTime today. He has some good options for a GenIV GM swap. @woody suggested looking into the 2FE, but I haven't been able to find much recent information on that. I was really hoping to keep this one OEM, but looks like that isn't an option any longer.

So, if anyone knows of a good 3FE laying around, please let me know. I would much much rather keep it stock.

At this point, I think I'll just build a drip pan for the driveway and keep it rolling until I can't. 😁

I've got a built 2FE in a retired 62 (that I intend to drop in a minty 62 when life conspires to do it) and a more 'stockish' 2FE in a FJ55.

This might be a good starting point for seeing what's involved in a 2FE build and what makes it a stronger engine than a 2F of 3FE:

It's from the 80s section, but has links (hopefully still live) to threads from before I started it.

I've got a built 2FE in a retired 62 (that I intend to drop in a minty 62 when life conspires to do it) and a more 'stockish' 2FE in a FJ55.

This might be a good starting point for seeing what's involved in a 2FE build and what makes it a stronger engine than a 2F of 3FE:

It's from the 80s section, but has links (hopefully still live) to threads from before I started it.

I read through a few posts (not this particular one) earlier today. The reason I wanted the 62 was so that it could be a casual project that could maintain daily driver status during any work being done. The 2FE seems like a decent sized project, which I unfortunately don't have time for right now. The business is all hands on deck trying to keep everything humming in this economy. If I could find a done 2FE that could be easily swapped into my 62, I may be interested in that, but if I have to build my own, I'll probably just skip to the 6.2L LT4 and 10 speed, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Definitely more involved than swapping in a decent running 3FE. A bit more involved than rebuilding a 3FE (accessory bracketry mostly). I'm guessing much less involved than swapping in a non-native drive train.

Selling a 3fe with transmission and t-case from a 91 fj80.

This 91 was my daily driver until I totalled the rig a couple years ago.

I got the rig with approximately 140,000 miles on the odometer and it got totalled with 262,500 miles on the odometer.

The motor always got oil changes every 3 - 4 thousand miles. Valves were checked every 20 thousand miles. Other than leaking some oil the motor still ran strong with no issues when the rig was totalled. It was never overheated while I owned it. I never ran this motor over 3,000 rpms

The entire cooling system was also replaced just a few months prior to the accident.

I believe the transmission is an A440f and the t-case is a Hf2a.

Asking $1,200.00 for everything.

Located in St. George Utah

Someone posted a 3FE drivetrain in the Classifieds yesterday, I think. Could be worth a look!

Link: For Sale - 3fe, transmissiom, & transfer case - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/3fe-transmissiom-transfer-case.1301101/

That's amazing. That's my home town. Message sent. Thanks!

3FE's are pretty common to find with all the V8 conversions. Shouldn't be hard at all

I've been planning for 10 years to build a storage system for the cargo of my 60, but I just didn't want it in heavy, out-gassing 3/4" ply, and since I don't have the skill to fab something in Alum, it just never happened.

If something were available similar to what you've been producing for the Wrangler, I'd be very interested. Not quite as elaborate, just a couple of deep drawers and a slider for table or fridge would be perfect. One of the drawers could double as the slide-out table if it had a drop-down support leg and removable (stowable) table top.

I'd want to keep the upper cabin area open for a sleeping platform and to preserve visibility out the rear of the truck.

Beautiful work and good luck with 3FE replacement!

if anyone knows of a good 3FE laying around, please let me know.
I don't know if this helps, but I have the lower half of a 3FE that I robbed the upper half from to build my my 2FE. I am never going to use it, so it is yours if you want it. Wouldn't be quick or easy option, but it is an option.
Good luck with finding the right option, and your new business as well.

3FE, aftermarket ECU and some form of boost - makes a very fun 60!

I've been planning for 10 years to build a storage system for the cargo of my 60, but I just didn't want it in heavy, out-gassing 3/4" ply, and since I don't have the skill to fab something in Alum, it just never happened.

If something were available similar to what you've been producing for the Wrangler, I'd be very interested. Not quite as elaborate, just a couple of deep drawers and a slider for table or fridge would be perfect. One of the drawers could double as the slide-out table if it had a drop-down support leg and removable (stowable) table top.

I'd want to keep the upper cabin area open for a sleeping platform and to preserve visibility out the rear of the truck.

Beautiful work and good luck with 3FE replacement!

I will start with the platform. Once I get that in CAD, I will be able to play with all of the module options. I'll keep this thread updated with what I come up with. I'm always open to suggestions as well.
I don't know if this helps, but I have the lower half of a 3FE that I robbed the upper half from to build my my 2FE. I am never going to use it, so it is yours if you want it. Wouldn't be quick or easy option, but it is an option.
Good luck with finding the right option, and your new business as well.
I really appreciate that. I am going to look at the 3FE linked above this morning. It was actually owned by a friend of mine when he totaled his 80, so it comes pretty well vetted.

OK, so here's a little big of an update. It looks like putting a rebuilt 3FE back into this one is going to be some where in the $5k - $7k range with me paying for all of the work to be done. That's a good bit more than I would like to spend on a 3FE. So... Back to considering the swap options. I know this has been beat to death in other threads, but I have a new twist, or what seems to be a new twist based on my Internet sleuthing.

I would like to use this vehicle as a daily driver, comfortable off roader, and family troop carrier. It will never be put into serious rocks or twisty stuff, so... I am considering IFS. Originally, I thought about just building a chassis and incorporating 4Runner or LC a-arms and steering, but re-engineering that into a 62 is probably not something I have time to do. However, I came across a FJC complete chassis/drivetrain for sale, even down to the tires. It has everything below the body line (fuel tank, front diff, arms, rear axle with e-locker, etc.). Looks like the FJC is about 1.6" shorter wheelbase. Stretching looks to be super easy on that one. It's also a little wider (~4") than the 62, which would be nice.

Here's the cool part. The front diff is driver's drop, which means the GM GenV L89 and 10-speed trans is back in play using a Jeep JK Rubicon transfer case (4:10).

I am not concerned about the amount fabrication needed unless it means getting into the body of the 62. I don't want to mess with OEM FJ62 sheet metal too much.

Anyone see any pitfalls with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom