Builds A 1994 80 Series gets an LQ9 GM V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It wasn't mentioned earlier, but did or were you able to hook up the vss on the Transfer case to the gm pcm? Otherwise isn't the speedo and shifting and everything else that needs that info for 4 low out to lunch? Also, did you use a Dakota digital box for the speedo?

There is spot in the tcase adapter that you attach the GM Vss to. The stock Toyota Vss is retained for the speedo. Digital Dakota box is to convert the tach signal

It wasn't mentioned earlier, but did or were you able to hook up the vss on the Transfer case to the gm pcm? Otherwise isn't the speedo and shifting and everything else that needs that info for 4 low out to lunch? Also, did you use a Dakota digital box for the speedo?

The stock transfer case mounted speed sensor is working just as it was before the swap. This truck has the Marks adapters calibration box on it to adjust for tire size so the original speedometer is accurate. The GM ECM gets its speed info from the VSS at the rear output of the transmission. I adjusted the calibration in the ECM to match the accurate vehicle speed. Technically the transmission sees a faster speed than what the vehicle is doing in low range. If it were a problem shifting in low range we would have addressed it, but it just upshifts faster than desired in low range. A stock 80 upshifts too quick in low range anyway. Usual use in low range would be to manually select the gear you want to be in, which is why we made sure to make the shifter shift through all the gears available. We did not need to use a Dakota Digital box for the speedometer, as it is currently working like stock.

There is spot in the tcase adapter that you attach the GM Vss to. The stock Toyota Vss is retained for the speedo. Digital Dakota box is to convert the tach signal

We did use the Dakota Digital box for the tach. If the truck didn't have the Marks adapters converter for the speedo, we would have put a Dakota Digital box in for the speedo. The original speedo operation is a separate function from the engine swap.

Ok, so I just finished reading this write up..... now I need to go take a cold shower.

Man, is that awesome!!! Loved the sound of that and I would love to hear how it tows!

... I would love to hear how it tows!

We did a tow test with it just the other day.
upload_2014-11-11_13-48-9.jpeg

upload_2014-11-11_13-48-25.jpeg

upload_2014-11-11_13-58-43.jpeg

It was around 6,500 lbs with the trailer and buggy. The brakes were the limiting factor for sure, but it has some sticky pads and slotted rotors, and the trailer brakes work well. It pulls REALLY well. Accelerating up hills was not a problem.

"Accelerating up hills was not a problem." - SWEET! This is a huge reason why I am looking at a 200 series. Would love it if my 100 had as much power as this 80! Loved my 80, but now it is serving my son in the Army.

I can understand the brakes being the limiting factor now! With that power plant, torque should not be an issue! Great job on he conversion!

I am surprised there isn't a way to put bigger brakes and calipers under our rigs, there has to be something that can me modified to work. Bigger rotors and calipers should do the trick at stopping these beasts.

"Accelerating up hills was not a problem." - SWEET! This is a huge reason why I am looking at a 200 series. Would love it if my 100 had as much power as this 80! Loved my 80, but now it is serving my son in the Army.

I can understand the brakes being the limiting factor now! With that power plant, torque should not be an issue! Great job on he conversion!

Thanks! The nicest thing about this truck isn't wide open throttle. Don't get me wrong, flooring it is cool, but it's the every day driving that is so nice.

The stock transfer case mounted speed sensor is working just as it was before the swap. This truck has the Marks adapters calibration box on it to adjust for tire size so the original speedometer is accurate. The GM ECM gets its speed info from the VSS at the rear output of the transmission. I adjusted the calibration in the ECM to match the accurate vehicle speed. Technically the transmission sees a faster speed than what the vehicle is doing in low range. If it were a problem shifting in low range we would have addressed it, but it just upshifts faster than desired in low range. A stock 80 upshifts too quick in low range anyway. Usual use in low range would be to manually select the gear you want to be in, which is why we made sure to make the shifter shift through all the gears available. We did not need to use a Dakota Digital box for the speedometer, as it is currently working like stock.

We did use the Dakota Digital box for the tach. If the truck didn't have the Marks adapters converter for the speedo, we would have put a Dakota Digital box in for the speedo. The original speedo operation is a separate function from the engine swap.
thanks for that vss info, and the update on this rig. Looks stellar!

100 series is the next territory. Imagine 400hp in one of those :)

"100 series is the next territory. Imagine 400hp in one of those :)" WOW!!!

I love this swap. I wish my stocker would blow so I could convince the CFO that this would be a good idea. It would be best right before an end of year bonus, hmmmm.

I don't remember reading about the diff gears, what is recommended for this conversion. I plan on going with 4.88's, the lower transfer case gears and 37's. Would that work well?

I love this swap. I wish my stocker would blow so I could convince the CFO that this would be a good idea. It would be best right before an end of year bonus, hmmmm.

I don't remember reading about the diff gears, what is recommended for this conversion. I plan on going with 4.88's, the lower transfer case gears and 37's. Would that work well?

We offer covert engine sabotage for a very competitive price.

The gears in this truck are stock and it's running 33's. It feels like the sweet spot for all around use would be 35's and stock gears, but this particular customer does lots of towing and has no desire or need for 35's, so this setup works out well for him. Maybe a couple of the other LS-powered 80 guys will chime in with their long term day-to-day experiences(although I don't remember any of them running 37's). I would expect that the 4.88's with an LS and 37's would be a pretty nice setup.

Stock LC gears with 35's and standard 4L60 will put the overall ratio between the base LS engine Silverado (3.42 final) and the "Heavy Duty" towing package (3.73 final) So no real world testing but the numbers look good to me. With the 37's it may be a closer feel to the base Silverado. If you go 4.88, 37, plus the swap that would make a sweet crawler, but probably too low for highway cruising.

So has anyone asked what you did with the blown 1fze?

Long before the LQ9 swap started, the 1FZ that it replaced, went into another 80. It's a long rambling story that started with a supercharged OBDI 80 that ended up with that OBDI engine being "converted" to OBDII and stuffed into a later 80 that didn't have an engine.

OP - let me know if you need a copy of my wiring interface spreadsheet. When I did my swap in my '94 cruiser, I did a pinout of the IH1,IH2 and IH3 connectors to simplify the interfacing of the toyota to gm harness so that the factory gauges would work like stock. My goal in my swap was to make the driver not aware that anything was done until they actually drove the vehicle. All gauges (except the shift position lights) work like stock. i also have the EWD in pdf format as well and can share that too.

I am currently putting a 6.0 LQ9 in a 94 FZJ80. I would love to have a copy of the wiring interface spreadsheet. Email is lafdchief1@live.com, Troy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom