Builds A 1994 80 Series gets an LQ9 GM V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got 35s and 4.10s with the old 5.7L vortec. It works great, I feel no need to do anything to it. Since I only have 255hp I would imagine the LS with the stock gears and 37's would be somewhat similar. Might be holding 3rd more often but I don't see an issue with that. If and when I go 37s, I will try it before doing any gears. I am also going to upgrade to a 5.3L.

Also, I think the tune makes a huge difference. I got 3 Chevy work trucks, my Cruiser is tuned and drives like none of the work trucks.

Cheers

Amazing work guys! Anyone have experience with these marks adapters ls mounts?

http://www.marks4wd.com/engine-conversions/engine-mounts/mfk1765em.html

Thanks for the kind words.

We had not come across those before. It looks like they are designed around using the stock transmission. One of my first thoughts is that they would make the exhaust trickier, but I've never seen them in person, let alone in a truck, so who knows. Hopefully someone that's used them before will chime in.

Easy fix... Get a rhd cruiser :p

Marks LS mounts are also designed to be used in conjunction with the accessory brackets they sell. That was the word I heard the last time I inquired on the mounts.

The cruise control works exactly like factory. That was one of the less difficult parts of the swap. Having a throttle cable setup did make it easier.

Clean build! Can you please go into a little more detail on making it work? I'm throwing in a 5.3 dbc right now. Thanks

Thanks for sharing because of this thread I am also doing a swap. I am curious what shifter cable did you use.

The “what” is an FZJ80 with an LQ9 & 4L65E. The “why” is that we’ve got a customer that does lots of traveling and towing with his supercharged 80. Hammering on a 1FZ with a blower that is hauling an 80 full of gear, followed by a trailer that is even more full of gear, up a Rocky Mountain pass was turning into a frequent occurrence. The customer was looking for a drivetrain that could tow with less stress and run regular old 87 octane. The 390hp version of the LQ9 was a good fit.

First, you start with an adapter from Advance Adapters:

WC0B3DuMVGFpe9QB3LpV7D76OVQ3lm_96UWIvkmhj9cxxlzt2sJ9ekTpXLC3qWuoArp-stqIyPEooNgDaJ65euKG832isM5kFVglHHwzp_-8etlBJ5siuPhOGuBllO8jbQ

Then, you add a transmission with an output shaft that is way too long:

u5FHyHqoP1jRdkJw3L28KxyKq0zCYuhAjAmor-wJ8TsBEsJt-WiAOT69sliQpkX-M9MawKM3Oqf_UIvRH6DKhvgdhXQM32vPIymYzKqs2jBfg7d9__yUnAhIYF4LTS5RnA

Next comes the not-so-cheap thrill of taking this:

zQfRXlwNViQtMegNr0Y4qpXqnXBmt6ihYbFkMGPbYPvgGsS8awhOOMCqVA4crfY0Jzt9UfSw7JLwKUQ-t6-Ledmo50eKcGeOoHimR0C9B8BaV0iBQDRI4Ys9vGYoS6zIfw

...and making this:

lnUX99X-ks4WuPhO6Zjeua5jYh8Uq5PppR2SAlF5JEiPMKJB_lsXqrSgbl6iggsqjKXPlAkmhYgAgj3klLGwaapuTQTyykuiXJrBLp8szabAU7ntJuzh86KS23JD-fSA6Q

On goes the adapter:

Lwx8Zcszjonm5j1m-BdOHaLE6Fx0wsiMG_-EEFOR3WaK0FLfYBtBiwifsgJsFdY0WcgzPSQ_Spx5l-8vu5hLTyNvPAy1f6LKd1oEWvI33DGmzdtC9Vj7t2Z1h2phqNvDDg

...a couple of shots of the assembled drivetrain:

Gnmuef-bjPl9FfDqb9M5XLH1q2LoNomvDEsjGlQid8HTKo67kWwr4gEoa0MgsQ8eBm55Sc5mYpUvq5unrH-Nq2mJqknjN23uBIAe3lTon8uMvkC8u2Y7S85BpQASHHYxbw

T41BtMZNWVfVp9W1ZBb6P9k93RolAb_tgf2HpVQUgVMBqCWQkBELsR2gE-LPCUS1XxMzWjcWnmbWCRKo-JrEVcyOJ-KTxrdTIvorn4PzEtxbMXIl8S48v_MsRLZmtNhQfg

The engine covers that say “Corvette” & “5.7L” will have to go, since this is a 6.0L going into a Land Cruiser. We’ve got some fancy plans for those.

nFcsAiHS5InS3tlKNG7bpCcvSntWsImCE7agC7wig9Ei9-QfC9QIjRbbWnnt7tTgH2oFgs8bwlDPh4u0Iw8--UAXE71wtX5GTlFIyztopG3ElvsR-qDHESvNIPzJGcFHgQ

The factory shift pattern is different than it will be with the 4L65E. Again, we have more fancy plans for that later.

Test fitting the drivetrain:

O7pOopbsaBPUBUMym1CqQjeLDfVGM7Eb_8-QVQgSidlU4VKS3DH6uP4mIiukB80Ju4VTyJVzIU07wMIX4bKScOXeSU2-yZqcsl15xQBL1kw0AbKgIv098Lb-DO_eTKK3Ew

4HIXC3a-EgpJzshl18mhw2nX-sZ7q5QOnlD6NsM1bMXAwP6yLiwvXq_YkGR-2FRcMI8p34ZbvU6Ojv4WBU1KttIFzMm-LiUDcWG23telXsxLRmB9jibazqJ4bZBW33GBsA

JcsAUJKY16nLzDZbUhh-RHvD6GEQTGCEqZa94LLKFSZEbFRtXo783A_XCU5nCF_0Ky_PkN4vDUT_8l2bYuUVCZ3MKqMuhzHxSUEyV1VI7IpCcHZ_fQaWfufAW4Yb7cu6LQ

If you screw up, it's an expensive mistake.

So did you cut the output shaft too short?

Thats what I did on mine just tapped into the pcm plug on the passanger side. Tomorrow I will see which exact wire I used.

I have 96 fzj80 that I swapped lq9 in it, trying to make my tach to work, I need to know what color to tape in under the glow box, if u would know help me out please man I would highly appreciate it, I can pay for the info thru the PayPal

My email d.chausov@aol.com

Thanks man

I have 96 fzj80 that I swapped lq9 in it, trying to make my tach to work, I need to know what color to tape in under the glow box, if u would know help me out please man I would highly appreciate it, I can pay for the info thru the PayPal

My email d.chausov@aol.com

Thanks man

Original ECM connector E7 Pin #10 Black wire. you'll need a signal conversion module to connect between the new engine and this wire. The module we used is the older version of this one - Tach Module

It worked, thanks man, would u know what wires goes to check engine light on? I want to hook it from gm ecm to Toyota, so whenever check engine goes on I'll see that light on,

I would highly appreciate your help

Thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom