wiper fuse keeps blowing - HZJ80 - 1995 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

First time posting here so if I stuff something up, my apologies.

Recently bought myself a 80 series and loving everything about it but the wiring. Its previous owners have made a bit of a dogs breakfast of it and I have been chasing a wiring short for roughly 2 months now. Even with the ignition off the wiper fuse randomly blows and I cannot figure out why. Sometimes it is happy for a week, other times the fuse blows as I put it in.
It first started after a small water crossing, I was going fast enough for water to get onto the windscreen and when I went to wipe it off nothing happened. I first assumed it was water related however the issue is still biting me in the ass 3 months later. Although it was first noticed after the water crossing it is very possible it could of happened a day or so before as I had not used them for awhile, I was also wheeling on a sand island with very harsh and bumpy tracks where almost anything could of been shaken loose.

Would anyone know the best place to start?

So far my findings are:
Small bit of rust on the wipers (Could indicate corrosion in the motor)
Rear wipers have been deleted but the motors are still in place and still work.
Indicator and wiper are on the same lever and indicator is a bit faulty (Sometimes I indicate and it doesn't tick instead the indicator lights go solid green, issue could be linked)
I can turn the car off, replace the fuse, leave it for a few hours and when I get back in it'll be blown.

I did pull the panels off under the steering wheel to have a look behind the fuse box and at the wiring but couldn't see anything super obvious.

Any help, tips and/or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

I'd recommend you start with the EWD; this will give you a complete mental picture of the circuit and how to proceed.

The first place I'd start physically is the clockspring under the steering wheel center pad. IF you have an airbag, you absolutely have to remove the battery ground before you pull the pad off. If you remove the airbag connector from the main harness with the battery connected you will have Hobb's own time clearing the fault light. You should remove the battery ground any time you're working on the electrical system, but sometimes you can get away with not doing it.

You'll need a multimeter, analog or digital, to check the circuit. Using the EWD, test for continuity where there shouldn't be any. That is, on both sides of open switches.

HTH

Disconnect the motors, does the fuse blow, if not connect each motor and see if you can pin point one being bad. Look at your connections on both ends. I have no idea how this system works, just throwing out some basic troubleshooting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom