Events/Trails 9th Annual 100s in the Hills *SILVERTON COLORADO* July 24-29 2019 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you think you really need to mag mount antenna? I’m hoping to just be able to use the handheld by itself.
It helps with the terrain. most handhelds are horrible at transmitting by themselves and others will only hear static. I usually use a 40w GMRS unit or a boafeng HAM, both with external antenana.

CBs have terrible range (especially in these mountains where there is a TON of iron ore). Handhelds don't really work well at all. I used a $19 magnetic antenna from WalMart last year and it was great. My Midland can convert to handheld. When it was handheld, I could barely communicate with the rigs directly in front or in back of me. I couldn't hear anything from the trail leader. The antenna made a HUGE difference.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to avoid buying anything. I know CB is a requirement, but how much is ham used on the trails?

There have been quite a few HAM operators on each trail run every year, usually including the trail leader. You will be happy you have it.

CBs have terrible range (especially in these mountains where there is a TON of iron ore). Handhelds don't really work well at all. I used a $19 magnetic antenna from WalMart last year and it was great. My Midland can convert to handheld. When it was handheld, I could barely communicate with the rigs directly in front or in back of me. I couldn't hear anything from the trail leader. The antenna made a HUGE difference.

+1 on the midland being terrible as a handheld. Works decent with a decent tuned ant, but CB really doesn't work well. It's amazing how much static you'll here on the trail runs.

Note for everyone going, I plan on having an SWR meter if anyone needs help tuning their setups.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to avoid buying anything. I know CB is a requirement, but how much is ham used on the trails?

The issue with HAM is that you'll need a license to legally transmit, I just got my license and the test isn't terribly difficult but it's a step that must be taken. Those on HAM will likely be on 2meter bands (VHF) for the trail runs. But majority of the coms will be with CB

There have been quite a few HAM operators on each trail run every year, usually including the trail leader. You will be happy you have it.

I'll be operating vhf/uhf on the runs, crystal clear coms are a nice feature to have. Will also have APRS running but I am not sure i'll be able to hit any digipeaters

Note for everyone going, I plan on having an SWR meter if anyone needs help tuning their setups.

I'm going to track you down, I believe there is room for improvement with the Midland/Little Wil setup I used in '17.

I'm going to track you down, I believe there is room for improvement with the Midland/Little Wil setup I used in '17.

Thanks Somebodyelse5 for the offer on the SWR for tuning. I have no idea what you're talking about or how to tune it, so I'll track you down.

I'll search in the interwebs before so I'm not totally clueless.

Sounds good guys. Tuning involves setting the length of the antenna to get the standing wave ratio such that your antenna is the most efficient. Here is some reference info:

If you haven't bought an antenna yet, I'd take a look at the firestik options with the tunable tips and one of @reznunt 's CB hood bracket mounts.

Having HAM is fine, but you will need a CB. The key here is consistency of communication. There will be 100 100 owners and only a small percentage will have HAM. CBs are cheap and everyone will have them. For the sake of relating communications, someone towards the rear of an up to 20 vehicle convoy spread out on a trail needs to be able to relay communications to the trail leader. HAM would be ideal, but again, not everyone will have it. So CB remains the most cost effective and easily adoptable standard.

I’ll be taking my HAM test later in June. But, I don’t anticipate having my setup complete before HIH. That is, unless my trailer project is finished (that’s a WHOLE nother headache).

Many of us are HAM operators. Ham would be preferred if everyone had it, but that's simply not the case. The reason we make CB mandatory is for the simple fact that it's inexpensive and easy to operate. If you spend $30-$50 on a mag-mount antenna, you could probably resell it on the last day of the event.

I know it sounds crazy for us to say anything is mandatory at HIH because we try so hard to make this a relaxed atmosphere, but a working CB is required. Don't drink and drive/ride, be cool to others and have a CB. That's pretty much it.

Many of us are HAM operators. Ham would be preferred if everyone had it, but that's simply not the case. The reason we make CB mandatory is for the simple fact that it's inexpensive and easy to operate. If you spend $30-$50 on a mag-mount antenna, you could probably resell it on the last day of the event.

I know it sounds crazy for us to say anything is mandatory at HIH because we try so hard to make this a relaxed atmosphere, but a working CB is required. Don't drink and drive/ride, be cool to others and have a CB. That's pretty much it.

Totally understand and thank you for all your work. Just curious why not have everyone get a Baofeng ($30) and use the business/event VHF spectrum (151.XXX aka Race Radios) like most other large off-road events do (Baja, Hammers, Mint, TDS, etc) No user license is needed for a local licensed event and the user experience is much much better. I've been a HAM since 2005 and I've ran comms including cross band repeaters, APRS on race trucks and large mountain top event repeaters. Either way I'll be there with CB in hand.

102" is pretty huge, I would opt for 4ft max. Maybe consider HAM in the future if you need better coms? I'll be running vhf/uhf with a 32" antenna on this trip as well as my CB with a 48" firestik. The CB really just isn't very effective unless you are car to car and even then, the clarity is pretty poor.
Our club is moving mostly towards ham use. I just picked up my license this year and a handheld to get started but since the event requires CB I’ll probably not put much funds into this as I’d rather put it into ham gear. And with more than just a few vehicles on the rides the longer antenna helps with my Midland handheld. I do like the 4 ft firestik for my garage though.

Is it really the end of May?? Today in Arizona.

4EB0B8FB-F443-4EF7-B1EE-D41A17F0A788.jpeg
8391F11B-A8A5-4A7E-851F-4FA690E0E4ED.jpeg

get a $40 uniden CB (wire in a power port plug) and $30 magnetic antenna. tune it after you set it up. I only use CB at HIH and usually take it out when I get home.

Would it be reasonable to expect that someone at HIH who's knows what they're doing would be able to help tune up a CB antenna? For this ride, I recently picked up a handheld Cobra CB and mag mount antenna. I don't know how to tune this setup. I do have a HAM radio in the rig, but didn't tune that system either. I suppose that begs the question: Is there a Communications class at HIH? I feel like I know a little about HAM and less about CB...

Would it be reasonable to expect that someone at HIH who's knows what they're doing would be able to help tune up a CB antenna? For this ride, I recently picked up a handheld Cobra CB and mag mount antenna. I don't know how to tune this setup. I do have a HAM radio in the rig, but didn't tune that system either. I suppose that begs the question: Is there a Communications class at HIH? I feel like I know a little about HAM and less about CB...
they'll be people with SWR meters in camp who'll be glad to help. Dont think there are comms classes though.
Here's a walkthrough video

@Somebodyelse5 said a few posts ago that he will be there willing to help people tune there setups. I’m going to try and tune mine before I leave home but if I can’t get it right I’ll lbe hitting him up.

I have an SWR meter I will never use that I will bring to donate to HIH for future events. For VHF/UHF HAM you don't need to tune it but I can look over your setup and make sure you have the correct antenna for the band you want to operate on. Some cheaper antennas you do need to cut to wave length. Feel free to PM me as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom