Mill in the Bay Area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

awesomeissquid

SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone in the Bay Area (CA) have access to a mill? Trying to make some 3/4” holes in a couple pieces of mild steel for a project on the cruiser. All the machine shops in the area want ~$200 which is a bit outside what I was hoping to spend.

Depending on the size of the work, I'd find someone with a CNC plasma table. It would take me about 2 minutes to do those cuts on my table.

I like that idea. Just need to find someone willing to do it without charging a minimum rate. Most of the shops I spoke with want to change a 1 hr minimum.

Depending on the number of holes needed an hour shop rate is quite fair considering setup time, etc.

Buy a drill press of CL or FBMP and a few boring bits and go at it.

Last edited:
Agreed, all good options. I have a drill press, but it’s lowest speed is 600rpm which I think would burn up some regular bits pretty fast. I did find that Norseman makes a carbide tipped hole saw which they recommend speeds of 500-800rpm for the required size.

I was also thinking of a step bit to do the work. I need to see what size they max out at. Since the material is 1/2” thick, I would probably be going completely through with the bit and not able to stop at a certain step.

Going to do some more research today. Might have found a local community education shop willing to do it. Sounds like they might have a CNC plasma cutter and a mill.

It's been a few years but I've used a bit like this on both an upright mill and a drill press, works well.

46470bfa-ce16-4421-b5d1-327a02841f6d.jpg

Is that an annular cutter? I think I was looking at those but was worried about snapping it if I have too much movement in my drill press spindle.

You are correct. I didn't have any issues but if I remember back I wasn't cutting thru 1/2" plate.
Could be worth a shot, depending on cost of course. If just knocking out a few holes a 1/2" bit will work, just get some cooling spray.
Windsor has some stuff we use in our machine room but I'm sure even wd40 will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom