98 LX470 AHC to OME Suspension Swap by Mudrak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Assuming the rig has the AHC shcoks still in it? I'd swap them for OME ( good shock for there pricing) and crank the front tbars.

I'm not an AHC master. But that would be a quick fix ( I think)

It looks like the "conversion kit" that the dealer spoke of consists of new shocks/with a spring wrap around it. That's about it. So, to your question, it looks like they yanked out the original shocks. Probably a generic low budget replacement. I installed an OME on my FJ60 and I am pleased with it. Maybe I'll check into that.

You'll have to bear with me, I am not much of a wrencher. tbars = torsion bars??

Tbars = torsion bars. You are correct.

Having torsion bars upfront allows you to adjust the ride height. The 100 has 2 coil springs in the rear, and 2 tbars upfront.

Puzzled me when I first got it, cause I only saw a shock, no spring

The bolt is 30MM and if your rig has No salt exposure or rust, they should be somewhat easy to turn. Mine cranked with the wheels on the ground, and no lubricants used on them before.

Last edited:
Very good. Thanks so much.
I do have a some rust so I will probably lube it for a few days before digging in to it..........and get a FSM. I just picked up the rig today and it is in very nice shape plus it only has 66K miles on it.
Thanks again!

CoolBreeze; what did the installer do to disable or remove the AHC components?

He used his tools to physically remove the system from the vehicle. I now have a huge gap under the hood on the passenger side near the windshield where a lot of components used to be. He drained the fluid out of the system. I believe some things were left underneath, but capped off.

He installed 4 shocks, 2 torsion bars and 2 rear coil springs. Also adjusted the torsion bars to get the height just right.

Also, he did something with the dash to prevent a warning light from coming on.

Last edited:
I feel stupid asking this but here it goes. Is it possible not to have torsion bars ? I have looked at some diagrams of the torsion bars but don't see anything on my rig that resembles what they look like. Are there any better pics or diagrams that show what they look like or exactly where they are installed?

Yes, PM me.

Im told you can crank the torsion bars...others doing this to OME torsion bars not the AHC bars that may or may not have been changed

Pics - 98 LX470 AHC to OME Suspension Swap by Mudrak

Took my 98 LX470 to Gary last week to have an OME Medium Load 2" lift kit installed to replace the 2nd time failed AHC system. The LX has 170K miles on it. Picked it up Sunday in Sonoma and I'm happy with the performance and glad to be rid of the AHC system.

Gary did a great job and while it was in the shop, he also changed all the fluids to synthetic, installed new front brake pads and lubed the drive shaft.

The rides seems more responsive and secure. No body leaning on turns, which was what I hated most with the original setup. The ride is comfortable and I liked how it turned out. Now I need to up-tire from my 275's.:p

May I know the name of the shop who install your lift kit, I’m planning to get rid my AHC and buy OME kit from slee. Did you install diff drop kit? Is it needed for 2.5 lift?

He used his tools to physically remove the system from the vehicle. I now have a huge gap under the hood on the passenger side near the windshield where a lot of components used to be. He drained the fluid out of the system. I believe some things were left underneath, but capped off.

He installed 4 shocks, 2 torsion bars and 2 rear coil springs. Also adjusted the torsion bars to get the height just right.

Also, he did something with the dash to prevent a warning light from coming on.
Where Can I find Gary, I need him to install my kit? Thanks I live in Bay Area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom