This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All - bought a 2000 LX470 a few weeks ago, 105,000 miles, and rode very spongy on highway when headed out of town. Seemed to bounce out of dips in the road and just didn't feel good. Just installed new OEM struts, better but not great. Did the AHC H-L test, and only 3-4 level difference - that means automatic replace the AHC globes and fluid, correct? I have just ordered OEM globes from ebay, and job doesnt sound too difficult. Is that probably the fix? Thanks everyone, I have read many items including the ABC's of AHC which is great. Im really wondering if I needed to replace the struts now, but at 23 years it was prob time anyway. I should have really dug into all this before buying, I figured the AHC worked and went up and down, so all is good. Knowledge is critical - my learning curve is costing me!

Also, is there any use at all in changing the AHC fluid at this point? Or conclude I need new globes and start with new set? Would new fluid ever cause the gradations to increase to where they should be on the 14-point scale? Thanks.

If you have that few graduations, globes need to be replaced so you’re on the right track. Kudos on keeping the AHC. So many get rid of it but it’s a great system. Just replaced the globes on mine as well. The job is straightforward, just be diligent about bleeding and use fresh AHC fluid from the metal cans ONLY! No plastic can fluid.

Changing fluid will not (should not) change the globe gradation test.

At 3-4 you've got essentially zero gas in those globes. You should notice a black and white difference in feel with those new globes. A new set should return about 14 grads. Totally dead is 4 (so it seems).

This^^^^^^

And correct, you probably didn’t need new shock piston thingys, unless they were puking fluid. They rarely go out at any age. All components can last a very long time. Using them is key, imo.

My ‘00 LX has 420k miles on AHC with no issues and all original. I use that AHC literally every day in the woods more than once. My ‘04 and ‘06 Lexii have less miles and much less AHC use. I have had issues with components and replaced globes.

This is great - trying to buy the Impex globes after I verify part numbers and the total shipping cost to Texas. Wish I had pushed back on install of struts... so much to learn.

One more question - I finally got Techstream and these are results. ANy other comments before I spend $600+ on new globes? Thanks.

Attachments

• Techstream Results.pdf
    203.6 KB · Views: 36

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom