97 LX450 windshield weatherstrip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I'm about to replace the windshield on a 97 LX450 and would like to know if it is the exact same part as on a 97 Land Cruiser or is there a difference on the curvature. Also, i'm curious to know if the weatherstrip is the same. The windshield part n. listed for both brands is 56121-60100 but the official diagram image of each is a hair different.

Does anyone have this info?

Cheers

Last edited:
I had mine replaced last month on my LX450 and used a part number for FZJ80 for the seal

It's my understanding that it is a difficult window to replace. I talked with three different shops before I found one willing to do the job correctly. No one wanted to use sealer. They just wanted to stick it in using the rubber seal.

I supplied the seal and it only cost me $160 for window and installation. I recieved quotes that ranged from $160 to $875. The place for $160 had great reviews and they ended up doing a good job.

Weatherstrip is the same. Lots of great threads but the jist is that the weatherstrip must first be sealed using adhesive to the glass, and then sealed using adhesive to the vehicle. Will make a huge mess so masking is a must. Had my glass replaced while at paint and the glass guy did it over two days. I used OEM Lexus glass to match the bronze tint.

This is great info! Thank you for sharing @Njck22 and @toddsmith1

I talked to 2 friends that own 97 LCs about the windshield replacement and they both confirmed that it is a pita to replace it after they went through it. However, they also confirmed that the oem weatherstrip is the critical part for a hassle-free windshield replacement.

I'm going with an aftermarket glass and oem strip, in this case. Lexus is charging $750+ just for the glass and Toyota $600+ depending on where the stealership is and those seem to be rock bottom prices.

One question @toddsmith1 do you remember which brand was the adhesive that it was used on your windshield?

Cheers

I'm glad to see this thread today. I have this and an even bigger problem:

IMG_1669[1].JPG

When I moved to Maryland about 7 years ago, I had to get the glass replaced to pass the state inspection. I had a national auto glass place do the work.

Last week I took the truck back to them, to see this (they do have a warranty on their work). The guy said no, it was a "rope install" and scratching the original paint wouldn't have happened during the install.

Now I'm wondering if they didn't use the sealant...but anyway, I need to fix this. I live between DC and Baltimore but I'd be willing to drive hours to get this done at a reputable shop that can rebuild the pinch weld (I'm guessing). Any recommendations welcome.

Did you ever get this fixed @mjcraft?

I have a small air leak somewhere around the glass on my 97, I assume it was replaced at some point, non OEM. I bought an OEM gasket, just trying to figure out how to get insurance to cover windshield replacement when the glass is fine...

Last edited:
Anybody looking to replace their windshield with a factory one when they replace their windshield seal is in for some bad news. Muds parts expert Onur just posted that factory replacement windshield for the 80 series is now NLA. Below is a copy of Onur's post.

80 series windshields are officially gone.

3CAB74FC-864B-406C-8F17-D01B6F8D3B3F.jpeg

Last edited:
Anybody looking to repace their windshield with a factory one when they replace their windshild seal is in for some bad news. Muds parts expert Onur just posted that factory replacement windshield for the 80 series is now NLA. Below is a copy of Onur's post.

80 series windshields are officially gone.

3CAB74FC-864B-406C-8F17-D01B6F8D3B3F.jpeg
Hmm good to know, this was on my long term plan. Maybe I'll just replace the weatherstripping and get a little tint instead.

Don't forget about the option of sourcing a windshield from a wreck. I paid $30 for one the other week that I got from a self-serve wrecker, as mine has a couple of chips. There's plenty of OEM glass still out there, and as long as it's not broken or badly scratched it's as good as new. It's not like glass "ages" over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom