97 40th Turbo Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I saw this solution for flex joint at wastegate. real cheap and simple fabrication. you can clamp the stuff in place or weld it up. I would weld it up at the downpipe and weld the wategate side to the flange that came with your wastegate. be sure you clamp the wastegate flange flat and securely at both sides before you weld the coupler or you will warp the flange and need to get it machined flat. ask me how i know.

http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?products_id=252

Here are two photo's the show the AVO turbo installed on the manifold.
avo1.jpg
avo2.jpg

I had a 2.5" mandrel bent downpipe and 3" non mandrel bent single exhaust on my GN/RX-7 conversion and it was good for 400hp+.

The 3" downpipe/exhaust should be perfect. Get a high flowing 3" cat if you plan to run one.... the 2.5" will be a bottleneck in the system.

Also.....Turbos like straight thru design mufflers (ie Dynomax/Magnaflow). They don't like Flowmasters or other types with internal baffles. I have a brand new Dynomax 3" aluminized straight thru muffler if you are interested. Highest flowing muffler they make and not too loud.

Looking good so far!

How do you propose to control the additional fuel requirements? I would install an upgraded pump at the minimum.

I have a full 3" SS exhaust system on the truck including a large straight thru SS MagnaFlow muffler and smaller straight thru SS MagnaFlow in place of the factory resonator. I will replace the cat with a 3" as well.

As far as fuel is concerned, I was under the impression that the stock system could handle the small amount of boost I intend to run. If I need to run a Supra fuel pump to be on the safe side then that is what I will do. The stock injectors and fuel regulator should be up to the task correct? The injectors have been reconded within the last year and I bought the colder MR2 plugs from Dan.

Nice manifold, Noted that the turbo placement is similar to Safari's manifold. I was under the impression that the safari unit had a slip joint too.

Currently, I see no reason the stock 96 97 fuel systems will not support 330 hp safely. The TRD unit use's no piggy back and supports around 300 hp. Add another 30 hp lost to spinning the eaton unit and you are at 330 hp.

Turbocruiser correct me if I am wrong, you are not running any fuel mangement on the safari setup and based on running a GT42 compressor at 6 psi you are running around 370 hp but the system is running too rich. There should not be a fuel shortage below 330 hp even with the stock pump.

One of the big problems with Safari and other manifold are that they crack. This is a two piece unit with a slip joint and individual flanges.

Hmm, I have not heard that before, the Safari manifold I have here is also two piece part and also has the slip joint section, does the cracking thing still apply on that version then? Perhaps the part was reworked from an earlier attempt at one piece casted part? I'm confused. Thanks. :cheers:

To address the cracking issues I plan to brace/support the turbo, wastegate and manifold in some manner. Do ANY, AVO, Safari, or Man-A-Fre, take this into consideration? I can see where hanging all that weight with no support would be a concern. This truck is not a daily driver so I hope that helps as well. I fully understand the better design of the individual runner and slip joint manifold as used by AVO and Safari, but for what I paid for this manifold I feel it is worth trying. Certainly better than what I could have fabricated out of weld els.

To address the cracking issues I plan to brace/support the turbo, wastegate and manifold in some manner. Do ANY, AVO, Safari, or Man-A-Fre, take this into consideration? I can see where hanging all that weight with no support would be a concern. This truck is not a daily driver so I hope that helps as well. I fully understand the better design of the individual runner and slip joint manifold as used by AVO and Safari, but for what I paid for this manifold I feel it is worth trying. Certainly better than what I could have fabricated out of weld els.

Safari has a big brace holding the down tube up. HTH. :cheers:

Dusty, I found this.

The kit's parts list calls for a t3/t4 with a 56 trim center section. I am not sure why I recalled it as a GT42 compressor, but I think I was wrong. I would not have picked that turbo for 7 psi on the 1fz-fe. Strange.

Where's sumotoy when you need him :)

once you get the manifold and turbo bolted up and you get all intake and exhaust work done. What are you going to do about fuel management? How will you correct for increased air intake? at the MAF? I'm very interested in doing a turbo set up one of these days, but I want to get as educated as possible before hand.

I'd be careful with your bracing, people do that to ebay turbo manifolds and have caused them to crack prematurely because they weren't able to expand evenly when heated. Oh, I think it'd be interesting to talk to Full-Race about making a turbo manifold - they're expensive as hell but I believe they have a lifetime warranty against cracking.... they're also some of the best manifolds I've ever had the pleasure of holding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom