97 40th Turbo Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the heat shield is nice but I dont realy like the way the heat is directed at the bearing housing and compressor. heat would be better directed to the turbine side. you will find that your compressor gets way hot with that shield. may want to wrap your compressor. i would also wrap the charge pipe that travels right by the compressor going to throttle body. you dont want to heat your intake charge up right after your intercooler has cooled it off

Fantastic turbo buildup writeup.

Can't wait to see you finally put it on a dyno and also monitor the a/f ratio with a true wide band. As stated narrow band (factory) O2 sensors are worthless because they don't react fast enuf to changes. Curious how it runs.

If you feel you need more fuel... you could also add a 7th or even 8th injector. Methanol injection is another option (130 octane) which would also allow you to run more boost with pump gas.

How much boost are you running again? What octane?

I am running 6 or 7 pounds of boost. I'm not sure I want to go any higher than that, maybe 10. I want a bit more power and not sacrafice reliability. I am currently running 87 octane. I don't hear any sounds of pre-ignition, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

I wrapped the pipe leading to the throttle body today. It was getting a bit warm.

I also fixed the routing of the BPV valve today. I hope this time it is correct.
BOV 002.jpg

Get me a sock!

great project and write up!

The BPV is installed and working perfectly. I can hear and feel the difference. No more noise of the pressurized air hitting the throttle plate when coming off throttle and the turbo seems to stay spooled longer and come back on boost quicker.

A picture of where the Vacuum line is plumbed off my other BOV post.
BOV.jpg

The BPV is installed and working perfectly. I can hear and feel the difference. No more noise of the pressurized air hitting the throttle plate when coming off throttle and the turbo seems to stay spooled longer and come back on boost quicker.

Very good. If you drove the truck more you would have most likely noticed a brake issue coming off boost as well which is now a non issue.

BTW, get that ground back where it belongs all ready :flipoff2:

Rick, you are correct about the brake issue. This not an issue now that the BPV is installed. Thank you for reminding me about the ground strap. I will fix it this weekend.
I need some more advice with regards to the exhaust downpipe. Is it really worth twice the money to go with 304 stainless or would 409 be fine. What I am running now is 409 from the MagnaFlow back. The local shop I talked with said that 304 will not rust (which I knew), that 409 is thicker and can be bent some by his equipment though it will surface rust over time. The OEM is a 400 series stainless correct? That lasted nearly 10 years. Keep in mind this is not my daily driver.

That is what I was thinking. The 409 will be about half the price as the 304. I will also be wrapping the downpipe and the exhaust where it tucks tightly to the floor board for heat control. All the joints will be V-band flanges and clamps unless someone can convince me these are not a good idea.

Yesterday was a true test of the new turbo power. I helped my neighbor tow home an old Dodge Dakota with a bed full of old pressure treated deck boards 2 feet over the bed rails on my 16' tandem axle trailer. The turbo made a world of difference. The truck, with 4.88's and very heavy 38" Michelin XL's, was no speed demon, but there was a lot more power than without the turbo. At load the turbo would spool-up and the truck just pulled hard without downshifting into a lower gear. This was on small back New England roads with some pretty steep hills that I couldn't make a run on. To say that I am happy with this build is an understatement.

Could you post a link of the manifold off of ebay. I looked on ebay and could not find any for sale.

Thanks
Travis

From what I have been told these manifolds are no longer available. LandTank bought one as well maybe he knows the supplier. Turbonetics lists a part number and price on their web site for a 1FZFE. I speculate that maybe a few of these manifolds were made for someone working on a turbo system for the 1FZFE motor that never worked out for whatever reason. They may have had a few left over depending on how many they had cast and offered them on Ebay. I only saw one other, the one that LandTank bought, on Ebay before winning the one I have. I don't know how many others were sold....

PM informationjunky. He has/had one for sale.

PM informationjunky. He has/had one for sale.

It's gone. I left the country right while I was considering buying it, it was gone upon my return...now I'll just have to wait for Landtank's!

I called my Turbonetics dealer a month ago & he said there was no manifolds in stock, but offered to order one. I wonder if they are completely discontinued? I called Turbonetics directly & was on hold for 25 minutes before I gave up:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom