95 4runner 22re, no a-c idle up? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gents, (and Ladies)
I have a full-on virgin 1994 4Runner 5spd/ 4wd/ 22re. Recent/fresh engine runs great, except it struggles to idle with ac on. I dont sense any a-c idle up taking place. Should it? vac solenoid kinda deal?? Thx! KB

Got one of these on it?

truck 004aciu.jpg

A/C idle up valve

"Usually" it's a blown diaphragm in the idle up valve. BUT....the solenoid can also be bad. The valve is NLA new so troubleshoot to see if it's the valve or solenoid.

I got a used valve that worked from a friend. I also saw some good writeups on yotatec where some people used a later model valve from a Toyota van or something that is still available new. And there is a thread where a guy cut the crimp off the old valve, opened it up, replaced the diaphragm and used small nuts and bolts to put back together. Too much work for me.

You can always turn up your idle for now until you get it fixed.

If I can find those threads later I'll post the links.

That plastic nut on top of the valve 88repo shared can also be turned to allow more air into the plenum, increasing the idle with the AC (counter-clockwise, up). The VSV was still available awhile back. 88690-22470.

Here's the one I cut open. I checked it with a Mity -Vac and it didn't hold vacuum.

The diaphragm is dried out and cracked.

The OP can have the adjusting screw if wanted. I'm leaving for Wisconsin tomorrow so let me know soon.

IMG_20220830_115852993.jpg

IMG_20220830_115923142.jpg

IMG_20220830_115938847.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom