'93 80 vs. '97 LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
'93 80 vs. '97 LX - inside the box

I've decided this will be the mod blog for our two 80-series trucks...

We got the '93 last year, it lives in BTR. :princess: acquired the LX here in PHX while I was abroad, and I got to see/drive it for the first time this weekend. Interesting how different they feel on the road...

Both are supercharged, on 285s for now; the '80 on Michelin E-rated street tires, the LX on D-rated Yokohama Geolandar AT/S; both have a small lift.

The '80 feels like a truck - don't know exactly what the lift is (coil wire diameter on the front is 17mm), but I'd say it's oversprung (or under-weighted...); it's got stink-bug stance: center-hub-to-flare in the front is 21 1/4", rear is 22 3/4"; I suppose spacers or J springs would fix that. Tracks straight on the freeway; it has yellow caster bushings installed.

The LX feels more like a car, softer spring rate - don't know what that lift is, either; maybe the sway bar makes it feel different. Center-hub-to-flare on the LX is 22 3/4" front and rear, coil wire diameter on the front is 17mm; it's got a short spacer on top of the front coils. It feels like this one would benefit from a little bit of caster correction. It also feels like the LX is quicker off the line compared to the '80, but that's a seat-o-pants measurement.

Not sure yet on the overall game plan - the BTR '80 was supposed to become the long distance runner in place of Claudia's '40 for trips to Death Valley or the Colorado passes and such, but the LX will probably take that role now. The black fan clutch out of the '80 has transitioned to PHX, and will make its way in the LX as the temp strains are higher here; unfortunately, so have the Marlin gears... The '80 currently has a blue clutch w/ 30k fluid and the 3FE fan, but a new-to-us black clutch is currently draining in order to fill w/ 10k fluid.

We'll see how it goes, I think maybe the '80 will get a few upgrades and see some of the trails in the South after all...

DSC_6016.jpg

P1010058.jpg

Last edited:
BTR = Baton Rouge?

Yes, Baton Rouge. The pic of the '80 is in the Gardens at Avery Island.

I thought I'd use this thread to document how things develop on either one of these two trucks. This'll be entirely inside the box, and no expedition anything...

I'll start with the first mod on the LX :flamingo: :princess:; the other two pics are on the first dirt road trip since we got the truck.

The Yokohamas feel a bit stiff at 22psi on a graded dirt road; for reference, I would have aired the Blazer on 315 MTR Kevlars down to 18. Part of getting to know the truck.

LX_PinkValveCap.jpg

LX_4PeaksRoad.jpg

LX_4PeaksSaddle.jpg

Last edited:
We've developed some cooling issues on the '93 - not that the truck ever got hot. I've started looking because I thought we had a coolant leak - and it was a leak, just not where I thought it would be; leaks on the crimp on the driver's side were worse. Anyways, a Koyo A1918 went in, together with custom foam...

The fan clutch is a blue Aisin with 30k fluid, fan is the 3FE; probably overkill for driving to work in the flats here. The black clutch that was originally in the truck has migrated to AZ and will find its way into the LX, together with another 3FE fan.
There is/was an aux electric fan on the truck. It's off for now; I want it on brackets, not mounted to the condenser.

RadLeak_1.jpg

RadLeak_Pressure.jpg

RadNew.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of temperatures on the '93: a temp sensor for a Koso gauge now lives in the upper radiator hose. There was corrosion/pitting at the water neck, we'll see how the :hillbilly: JP Weld fix will go.
We've also done the hot feet gasket thingy, and the truck has a hand throttle installed. A few months later, I do see a slight coolant seep at that water neck as well as on the glo-shift adapter.

WaterOut.jpg

WaterOut_JPWeld.jpg

KosoSensor.jpg

KosoGauge.jpg

Last edited:
In the back of the '93, there now lives a Tools R Us tire carrier and a Puma 12V air compressor. I think I want a rack for cans on the other side, but for now, the cambuckle strap /3rd row seat mount solution will suffice. Access to the air chuck thru the sliding window, and my anti-autoengage device for the compressor... wiring is through a 6g starter cable procured from Advance Autoparts :hillbilly: as I haven't found a place here in BTR that a) sells welding cable by the foot without a minimum of 25 feet, and b) is open on Saturday. A Painless 60A MaxiFuse close to the battery, and Anderson connectors back there. There is a hand throttle on the truck to lock rpms in a little higher than idle when running the compressor.

A note re that 6 gauge cable: I get the one from AAP, my lovely wife sez that's too nice to cut up, and she'll get a cheaper one online. Summit Racing to the rescue, 6 gauge cable, 16 feet, $13, perfect. I cut the ends off - and there is nowhere near 6g worth of wire in there... just a lot of insulation to make it look thick. It looked like there were two 12 (or 14 gauge?) wires embedded in a lot of silicone. Well, it went back to Summit with a little note...
The AAP cable really was 6 gauge as far as I can tell.

TireCarrier_1.jpg

RearInterior.jpg

PumaComp_1.jpg

PumaComp_2.jpg

PumaFuse_6g.jpg

Last edited:
The '93 has got a leak at the A/C compressor. I first thought the green stuff was (green) coolant, and actually, part of it was...which made things confusing. White dust is baby powder. I use fluorescence photography at work, so part of the fun was to figure out how to shoot fluorescence pics here at home. Workable, but methinks the optics leave something to be desired...

Anyways, it's been going on for a while, but it's time to do something about it; the pressure readings don't look too bad for R134a, but not quite to spec, I think... last pic is the package of goodies from Coolstream.

AC_OilLeak_Dust.jpg

AC_OilLeak.jpg

FluorescenceCam.jpg

AC.jpg

CoolstreamKit.jpg

Last edited:
Rex at Coolstream hooked me up as well.

He helped me diagnose my leak, sent me about $30 worth of parts to fix it, gave me very clear instructions. Mine is a 3fe and is cold as ice now.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

'97 LX - went from this:
(I believe the fan part number is 16361-65020, for a '93-'95 4-runner)

DSC_6889.jpg

Last edited:
'97LX ... to this: black clutch from the '93, 10k fluid, and the bigger fan (16361-61020). And since I can't do this exchange w/o taking out battery and tray, I got to learn how to input the security code on the radio...

No foam around the radiator; fins of radiator and condenser are pretty clean after a wash; Ultragauge installed as of yesterday. Fan shroud mounts appear to be 'custom'; two of the nuts on the fan clutch were nylocks that took a 13mm wrench, and two were flanged and took a 12 mm wrench... :)

DSC_6892.jpg

Last edited:
'93 - continuing the inside-the-box build...
little stuff - installed the cable and mount for a 3' Firestik firefly CB antenna (radio is a Uniden 510), and clocked the HF 12k winch by one notch (via the inner bolts).
I have the HF winch plate, and find myself cutting off piece after piece... and drilling more holes into swiss cheese. I wonder if I should have just gotten a piece of 5/16" plate, drill the pattern, mount the winch from underneath, and worry about the fairlead at the end...
Anyways, now you see me, now you don't... :)

P1010115.jpg

P1010113.jpg

P1010116.jpg

P1010119.jpg

P1010118.jpg

Last edited:
Shows the difference between the 80 and the LX450.

I see.

Anyways, besides getting a set of factory tow hooks plus bolts for the '93, it looks like I need to go shopping for welding cable to wire up the winch; the supplied harness might be too short. And that red Optima in the truck probably won't be very happy about powering a winch either.

Last edited:
nice.
How do you engage and disengage?

Clocking the winch brought the handle close to the left side cutout in the bumper, so without that insert I can actually reach in there and turn the handle.
Factory tow hooks are on as well.

Last edited:
Do I really have to bolt down the solenoid? :)
So far no luck mounting it anywhere close to the winch...
I think a sturdy velcro strap around solenoid box and battery hold-down might just do the trick here... until I need/get a winch-compatible battery.

Jim, here's the CB cable routing outside of the light... may appear tight/stretched, but it's actually not...

P1010136.jpg

P1010137.jpg

Michael;

Thanks for the pic. Looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom