91 Octane Requirement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been wondering if the no ethanol “90” could be the same as 91 or 93 premium with ethanol…
I was using 89 ethanol free on my 2019 F-150 (TTV6 W/ Raptor motor HO) thinking I could get by, it ran ok just driving around, but I would get an occasional rough idle. What did NOT work was towing. It was throwing codes on the highway. Seemed to be fine outside the codes. Decided to skip saving a few $$ and sticking to premium from here out. Not worth the risk, as the POS is always in the shop anyway(@ fords ridiculous $200+ per hour shop charge I ended up loosing $$ on the deal).
You may get buy on the GX but I wouldn't push it personally. 91 premium ethanol it is here from here out.

In Austin, 91 is about 60-80 cents more than Regular so I'm a little bummed that it needs 91. It's strange that the 2024 Tacoma is 87 considering it's the same engine. All in all, it's still better than my FJ80 which will be retired from daily use.

Most turbo gas motors that can run on 87 octane fuel have Direction Injection (Fuel ). DI is great but there is significant maintenance to keep the intake valves clean.

Most turbo gas motors that can run on 87 octane fuel have Direction Injection (Fuel ). DI is great but there is significant maintenance to keep the intake valves clean.
This engine has D4S, which is both direct and port injection, which avoids the DI intake problems requiring regular cleaning in DI only engines.

I'm sure this motor will do just fine on 87, just make a little less power as the knock sensor retards timing. The 1GR is like this also, there was a big stir when Toyota spec'd 91 octane on the FJC when it came out. They just changed the spec in the literature to 87 to make everyone happy.

On some engines, Toyota has used both direct injections and port injection. The combination apparently eliminates the carbon build up in the head that has caused problems with direct injection. I’m not sure whether the iForce engines use both direct and port injection.

This engine has D4S, which is both direct and port injection, which avoids the DI intake problems requiring regular cleaning in DI only engines.

I'm sure this motor will do just fine on 87, just make a little less power as the knock sensor retards timing. The 1GR is like this also, there was a big stir when Toyota spec'd 91 octane on the FJC when it came out. They just changed the spec in the literature to 87 to make everyone happy.
While for the bigger V8's in Lexus trim I would not hesitate to use 87, for a small 4 cylinder turbo having to haul a body on frame this is most likely asking for engine damage.

I’d use 91 or higher in any boosted engine… regardless of what the manual says.

I believe the new 2.4T does not have an EGR system. Toyota was able to pass emissions without it. That should eliminate 99% of the intake carbon buildup issues. Big win for intake valves and engine longevity in general to eliminate the entire EGR system.

D4S has been covered in other comments, but it's a great solution to that issue on direct injected engines.

are you sure it's just not under the valve cover? I've heard that from some mechanics I follow. From the turbo diagrams I've seen in pics, it looks like it. Maybe the v35?
And if that's true, then I'd worry about the inside of the intercooler.

Do you know if there's a gas particulate filter? I don't know if toyota fully committed that to every model yet. I haven't seen it written.

I'd also like to see it written that the body has to come off to replace the turbo.

1710842975874.png

1710843147984.png

Last edited:
are you sure it's just not under the valve cover? I've heard that from some mechanics I follow. From the turbo diagrams I've seen in pics, it looks like it. Maybe the v35?
And if that's true, then I'd worry about the inside of the intercooler.

Do you know if there's a gas particulate filter? I don't know if toyota fully committed that to every model yet. I haven't seen it written.

I'd also like to see it written that the body has to come off to replace the turbo.

View attachment 3585937
View attachment 3585938
I don't see an actual EGR system on either of those engines (I skimmed it, so could have missed). They both have a PCV system, which is required on all ICE vehicles. The PCV system is where most of the intake problems really start - the sticky, oily crankcase vapors getting sucked into the intake stream which dirt then sticks to. That's not much of a problem with the port injection of D4S to wash the oil away.

From what I have seen, the turbo on the I4 is easy to get to, not so much on v6.

I was going to say the same as @Jeremy556 - PCV is a different system from EGR.

However, a PCV can double as an EGR if you have enough blow by on the piston rings. :) As a powerstroke owner.

Reactions: OSS
This thread is very useful info for me as one of the decision points for buying a LC250 someday. It’s hard to believe Toyota specs premium for a vehicle like the LC and notes possible engine damage and voiding of warranty for regular. For ordinary mortals like me who do not have bottomless bank accounts, the $1/gallon extra cost where I live would amount to several hundred $/year, especially since I tow and would expect mpg in the low teens. Ouch.

This thread is very useful info for me as one of the decision points for buying a LC250 someday. It’s hard to believe Toyota specs premium for a vehicle like the LC and notes possible engine damage and voiding of warranty for regular. For ordinary mortals like me who do not have bottomless bank accounts, the $1/gallon extra cost where I live would amount to several hundred $/year, especially since I tow and would expect mpg in the low teens. Ouch.
Together with the need to replace the Hybrid battery assuming you like to keep your Toyota long term, the running cost difference will shrink significantly.

According to the official specs posted today, the LC250 is rated with 91 octane fuel. I’m wondering if the recommendations in the user manual can differ, and whether or not using regular fuel would have warranty implications. There is a pretty big difference between the two fuels in terms of cost of ownership, it is the equivalent of 20 MPG instead of the rated 23 MPG.
Adding in a hybrid battery of say $5000 at 150000 miles increases cost to an equivalent of around 16.3 mpg... Now if the battery gives up at 100000 miles you are toast on running cost savings by going hybrid.

Our Chevy suburban came with the bigger 6.1l engine and the manual says the same things. We’ve never gone over 16 mpg locally but …went to Orlando from NJ and my son drives at 80mph. I assumed the mileage was going to really suck…instead, we were cruising around 21-22 miles per gallon. Never pings on 87 and cost of 91 octane could be near $20 per tank

This thing goes to the supermarket and TJ Maxx, no way I’m filling it with premium fuel. My wife drives it…14mpg!

Does anybody know what an OEM and a reasonable aftermarket hybrid battery costs at this point?

To date I have seen a wide range with some > $10k. Brrrrrr…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom