88 FJ62 Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
88 FJ62, in process. Stripped, epoxied, 2k primed, based, and glamour cleared - color is Toyota Cement Gray... any suggestions on resto-modifications? TRD running boards, roof rack, etc?

Looking for any suggestions, thanks.

380DD49D-6D70-4018-9225-8F324B9D1D53.jpeg

0345B562-3F13-452F-95E5-920683682E14.jpeg

979186D1-3402-43B1-BDF8-BF16C9482B0B.jpeg

D590324D-2553-4FF2-BEB4-7B271A6E9863.jpeg

Looks great. Curious...why not just pull body right off the frame?

Resto mods...how far you want to go? Trail tailor front coil spring conversion and kit to keep stock 62 axle would be a good mod. BMW 3 series front seats or Saab 9-5 Ventilated front seats....or go full hog and get some scheel Mann seats.

convert to h55 5 speed

oh man you're just itching to jump into the rabbit hole with that question? i guess before going to crazy whats the intended use of this truck? honestly you can make it cool and spend a bunch on stuff you'll never use or make it functional. making is reliable is the first place id start but as you're asking about accessories id say a tire carrier bumper is a nice touch and gets the spare out from under it. i like the look and function of a good roof rack. interior function like upgraded seats, sound deadener and some real cup holders make for a nice long drive. there are so many things you could do so let us know what your intended function is and im sure we can help spend your money!! look out for @TRAIL TAILOR. he's the real deal enabler!! but you'll end up with an awesome truck

HI- another NOLA FJ62 owner here..I am in the Uptown area. Yes, I love that color and wheels you are going with. Are you doing an engine conversion or keeping it stock? Last- the pics look like you have a shop with other vehicles in for restorations, do you do restorations and work on FJ's for others? Asking for a friend :cool:

Look forward to meeting you and seeing this beauty around town!
-joe

Looking for reliability right now. The 4.0 has only 130k and I had it everything looked at by my mechanic.

HI- another NOLA FJ62 owner here..I am in the Uptown area. Yes, I love that color and wheels you are going with. Are you doing an engine conversion or keeping it stock? Last- the pics look like you have a shop with other vehicles in for restorations, do you do restorations and work on FJ's for others? Asking for a friend :cool:

Look forward to meeting you and seeing this beauty around town!
-joe

No, just a regular body shop... just another one of my ridiculous side projects.

But, still looking for some input/help...

So i’m close to having it driveable, finally... after a 2+ month process of stripping the entire truck, shooting it with Toyota’s newer Cement Grey, and a glamour clear finish (previous owner painted it like a Chevy Camaro blue, SMH)... it did turn out beautiful

Engine runs great, 130k miles. Changed all fluids, belts, new AC discharge line and dryer, etc. Also found a set of Skyjacker H7000s...

Have a few more cosmetic things to change out, but looking for suggestions for any major items as far as mechanics.

It sways when making a turn getting on the interstate, any suggestions for anti sway bars or other part replacements.

Looking for a little bit of get up and go, even if it’s just on the low end?

Also, if anyone has any ideas on the best way to level an FJ62... please give me a shoutAny input would be greatly appreciated. Open to any and all suggestions, thanks.

Looks great. Curious...why not just pull body right off the frame?

Resto mods...how far you want to go? Trail tailor front coil spring conversion and kit to keep stock 62 axle would be a good mod. BMW 3 series front seats or Saab 9-5 Ventilated front seats....or go full hog and get some scheel Mann seats.

convert to h55 5 speed

@Seth S - no need, the vehicle has never left New Orleans, the only rust we found was some slight surface rust on the body panels from the previous owner paint job. The interior is perfect, so we just masked the hell out of it. We were able to basically paint all panels off the truck in one booth, body in another...

70DFED2F-0C55-4D0C-8167-3A4FDC6F5A47.jpeg

C2991EF4-9616-4F65-BA05-13CA75C8296F.jpeg

6D2A9C1F-6B11-49EE-9787-57A6C93008AD.jpeg

CCCCBCCB-A4DE-4C7F-985B-6AA117DF1274.jpeg

79B60667-D5BB-478A-AC78-951743B80944.jpeg

Hi, Clips pretty sure no longer. On the swaying on corners get Toyota sway bars. Is this a spring over truck ? Mike

Hi, Clips pretty sure no longer. On the swaying on corners get Toyota sway bars. Is this a spring over truck ? Mike

No it has the original leaf springs, recently added a set of skyjacker h7000s shocks... So should I just go with new OEM sway bars, or are there particular sway bars that you recommend? Also, probably going to change the steering stabilizer.

Was hoping to also see if anyone has ever just added leaf springs for a little height. I would really like for the land cruiser to sit level; but they really don't have leveling kits, just lift kits.

H55f 5 speed conversion will give you the get up and go you want....the best thing Ive ever done to my truck. Small things like new cats can increase performance in small but noticeable increments. With your gear box dont run larger tires. Keep with stock 31's. It will save whats left in that beast a440. Mines a 88 as well that I shot with grey...love the cement grey. I converted the front end to a round headlight 60 setup and added LED headlights. So much better. You can get the rectangles in LED as well. Old Man Emu 2"ish lift is what most people go with since its easy to get, easy to install and makes for a better than stock ride height and firms up everything and should help with your sway. The full kit includes shocks and a steering stabilizer. My first rack was defender from smittybilt. Its cheap and does the job but I now have a custom one I got from mike stanceworks insanely well done 60. Its perfect for a roof tent. Lots of options just depends on what you want up there. Gobi makes one that is just so rad and modern looking but you gotta have some money to throw up there. ARB makes one as well. Frontrunner makes some cool racks and gear. 4plus products in AZ makes great bumper/tire carrier options if you are going that route. Smittybilt and Tuffy are good options for a way better center console setup that is actually usable.

That's a good looking color and at least paint job is way better than mine. Might have to go through and black out most of my trim.

104438317_3013655432212384_5561540601256768470_n.jpg

H55f 5 speed conversion will give you the get up and go you want....the best thing Ive ever done to my truck. Small things like new cats can increase performance in small but noticeable increments. With your gear box dont run larger tires. Keep with stock 31's. It will save whats left in that beast a440. Mines a 88 as well that I shot with grey...love the cement grey. I converted the front end to a round headlight 60 setup and added LED headlights. So much better. You can get the rectangles in LED as well. Old Man Emu 2"ish lift is what most people go with since its easy to get, easy to install and makes for a better than stock ride height and firms up everything and should help with your sway. The full kit includes shocks and a steering stabilizer. My first rack was defender from smittybilt. Its cheap and does the job but I now have a custom one I got from mike stanceworks insanely well done 60. Its perfect for a roof tent. Lots of options just depends on what you want up there. Gobi makes one that is just so rad and modern looking but you gotta have some money to throw up there. ARB makes one as well. Frontrunner makes some cool racks and gear. 4plus products in AZ makes great bumper/tire carrier options if you are going that route. Smittybilt and Tuffy are good options for a way better center console setup that is actually usable.

Thanks so much for the info... I definitely have added some things to the never ending check list.

Hi, Get rid of the old springs. Old man emu parts all the way, remember it’s a system. Transmission is a great one ,when a cooler is added ,pan dropped,filter cleaned and oil replaced. My cruiser has 406,000 miles with the original transmission. Mike

Hi, Get rid of the old springs. Old man emu parts all the way, remember it’s a system. Transmission is a great one ,when a cooler is added ,pan dropped,filter cleaned and oil replaced. My cruiser has 406,000 miles with the original transmission. Mike

Went for a drive on the coast last weekend, hit 70... and then came the old speedometer dilemma. Ran the cable end with a drill, cable is fine (ordered one anyway). Maybe it’s the speedo gear (ordered a replacement as well).

I’m wondering if it’s the 31x10.5’s on 16s (265/75r16)? I really don’t think that’s the issue, any suggestions?

Also, I have my auto electricians coming to the shop tomorrow to install a hidden kill switch, alarm, and a hideaway Bluetooth stereo... I may have them check out a few things, because it seems like I’m pulling a lot of power when I’m idling. Everything works fine when I’m driving, but at a stop light my blinker will slow down or my interior lights will dim. Kinda weird.

Let me know if y’all have any ideas.
Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom