88 FJ62 Restoration

Seth S

SILVER Star

Looks great. Curious...why not just pull body right off the frame?

Resto mods...how far you want to go? Trail tailor front coil spring conversion and kit to keep stock 62 axle would be a good mod. BMW 3 series front seats or Saab 9-5 Ventilated front seats....or go full hog and get some scheel Mann seats.

convert to h55 5 speed

oh man you're just itching to jump into the rabbit hole with that question? i guess before going to crazy whats the intended use of this truck? honestly you can make it cool and spend a bunch on stuff you'll never use or make it functional. making is reliable is the first place id start but as you're asking about accessories id say a tire carrier bumper is a nice touch and gets the spare out from under it. i like the look and function of a good roof rack. interior function like upgraded seats, sound deadener and some real cup holders make for a nice long drive. there are so many things you could do so let us know what your intended function is and im sure we can help spend your money!! look out for @TRAIL TAILOR. he's the real deal enabler!! but you'll end up with an awesome truck

tonka az

SILVER Star

I dig that color! And, if you're putting that much money into the paint, you BETTER drop an H55 in it! TRUST ME! Best decision I ever made!

HI- another NOLA FJ62 owner here..I am in the Uptown area. Yes, I love that color and wheels you are going with. Are you doing an engine conversion or keeping it stock? Last- the pics look like you have a shop with other vehicles in for restorations, do you do restorations and work on FJ's for others? Asking for a friend :cool:

Look forward to meeting you and seeing this beauty around town!
-joe

Looking for reliability right now. The 4.0 has only 130k and I had it everything looked at by my mechanic.

HI- another NOLA FJ62 owner here..I am in the Uptown area. Yes, I love that color and wheels you are going with. Are you doing an engine conversion or keeping it stock? Last- the pics look like you have a shop with other vehicles in for restorations, do you do restorations and work on FJ's for others? Asking for a friend :cool:

Look forward to meeting you and seeing this beauty around town!
-joe
No, just a regular body shop... just another one of my ridiculous side projects.

But, still looking for some input/help...

So i’m close to having it driveable, finally... after a 2+ month process of stripping the entire truck, shooting it with Toyota’s newer Cement Grey, and a glamour clear finish (previous owner painted it like a Chevy Camaro blue, SMH)... it did turn out beautiful

Engine runs great, 130k miles. Changed all fluids, belts, new AC discharge line and dryer, etc. Also found a set of Skyjacker H7000s...

Have a few more cosmetic things to change out, but looking for suggestions for any major items as far as mechanics.

It sways when making a turn getting on the interstate, any suggestions for anti sway bars or other part replacements.

Looking for a little bit of get up and go, even if it’s just on the low end?

Also, if anyone has any ideas on the best way to level an FJ62... please give me a shoutAny input would be greatly appreciated. Open to any and all suggestions, thanks.

Looks great. Curious...why not just pull body right off the frame?

Resto mods...how far you want to go? Trail tailor front coil spring conversion and kit to keep stock 62 axle would be a good mod. BMW 3 series front seats or Saab 9-5 Ventilated front seats....or go full hog and get some scheel Mann seats.

convert to h55 5 speed
@Seth S - no need, the vehicle has never left New Orleans, the only rust we found was some slight surface rust on the body panels from the previous owner paint job. The interior is perfect, so we just masked the hell out of it. We were able to basically paint all panels off the truck in one booth, body in another...

70DFED2F-0C55-4D0C-8167-3A4FDC6F5A47.jpeg

C2991EF4-9616-4F65-BA05-13CA75C8296F.jpeg

6D2A9C1F-6B11-49EE-9787-57A6C93008AD.jpeg

CCCCBCCB-A4DE-4C7F-985B-6AA117DF1274.jpeg

79B60667-D5BB-478A-AC78-951743B80944.jpeg

Hi, Clips pretty sure no longer. On the swaying on corners get Toyota sway bars. Is this a spring over truck ? Mike
No it has the original leaf springs, recently added a set of skyjacker h7000s shocks... So should I just go with new OEM sway bars, or are there particular sway bars that you recommend? Also, probably going to change the steering stabilizer.

Was hoping to also see if anyone has ever just added leaf springs for a little height. I would really like for the land cruiser to sit level; but they really don't have leveling kits, just lift kits.

Top Bottom