88 FJ62 Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One, and done... besides belt molding clips, MF’n fedex.

View attachment 2396712

View attachment 2396713
Went for a drive on the coast last weekend, hit 70... and then came the old speedometer dilemma. Ran the cable end with a drill, cable is fine (ordered one anyway). Maybe it’s the speedo gear (ordered a replacement as well).

I’m wondering if it’s the 31x10.5’s on 16s (265/75r16)? I really don’t think that’s the issue, any suggestions?

Also, I have my auto electricians coming to the shop tomorrow to install a hidden kill switch, alarm, and a hideaway Bluetooth stereo... I may have them check out a few things, because it seems like I’m pulling a lot of power when I’m idling. Everything works fine when I’m driving, but at a stop light my blinker will slow down or my interior lights will dim. Kinda weird.

Let me know if y’all have any ideas.
Thanks again

Don't know about that but have another question for you. I noticed in the photo in the woods the front windshield appears to have the chrome insert trim but in the next photo on the street it's all black. Did you change it out for the black and did the chrome trim survive being removed for the restoration. I've been told it will not survive when I replace the windshield, which I want to do and the chrome trim is no longer available. I have an 89 FJ62 with 504K miles. Tks.
BTW excellent job on the paint, wheels and trim detailing. Looks as good or better than what came off the showroom floor back then.

Don't know about that but have another question for you. I noticed in the photo in the woods the front windshield appears to have the chrome insert trim but in the next photo on the street it's all black. Did you change it out for the black and did the chrome trim survive being removed for the restoration. I've been told it will not survive when I replace the windshield, which I want to do and the chrome trim is no longer available. I have an 89 FJ62 with 504K miles. Tks.
BTW excellent job on the paint, wheels and trim detailing. Looks as good or better than what came off the showroom floor back then.
BTW I run 10.5x31's on 16" Alum. rims for decades and have never had a problem with the speedo. I drove the car off the show room floor and a couple of years later started using the 10.5x31's.

because it seems like I’m pulling a lot of power when I’m idling. Everything works fine when I’m driving, but at a stop light my blinker will slow down or my interior lights will dim. Kinda weird.

I can't guarantee it, I would suggest a new set of battery cables. Various vendors are selling very nice kits now.
It was comical how much my volt meter would jump with the headlights on and using the turn signal at idle. It's not like the alternators on a 60 put out a ton of power anyway but you could get more of it to where it needs to go. New kit on and all of that stopped for me.

I can't guarantee it, I would suggest a new set of battery cables. Various vendors are selling very nice kits now.
It was comical how much my volt meter would jump with the headlights on and using the turn signal at idle. It's not like the alternators on a 60 put out a ton of power anyway but you could get more of it to where it needs to go. New kit on and all of that stopped for me.

yepp I’d say the same thing, it’s a good place to start. Also @Fourrunner makes some awesome cable sets. Would also test the alternator and check the fusible links. Fusible links don’t power to many thing and I don’t think the flashers are on there if memory serves me correctly, but they’re a common issue area. Again, @Coolerman can help you get those fixed if they are an issue.

The photo of the FJ62 in the woods is @poptart ’s rig...

Thanks... I couldn’t have done it without the help of my Sherwin Williams reps, and an excellent prep and paint team at my shop.

As far as trim, the previous owner took all the chrome off and blacked everything out. I didn’t mind some of the trim blacked out, but it was a bit over board. So I went with new nameplates, polished a pair of used fender vents, chrome lugs and carriage bolts... had to have a little touch of chrome.

If you know how to remove the chrome trim around the windows, delicately, I don’t think it shouldn’t be a problem.

Funny you mentioned that... I had a kill switch hooked up to my starter the other day. Last night I got in to start it and the accessories didn’t even come on. Popped the hood, and sure enough one of my battery terminals was coming loose... Definitely starting with fresh terminals.

The photo of the FJ62 in the woods is @poptart ’s rig...

Thanks... I couldn’t have done it without the help of my Sherwin Williams reps, and an excellent prep and paint team at my shop.

As far as trim, the previous owner took all the chrome off and blacked everything out. I didn’t mind some of the trim blacked out, but it was a bit over board. So I went with new nameplates, polished a pair of used fender vents, chrome lugs and carriage bolts... had to have a little touch of chrome.

If you know how to remove the chrome trim around the windows, delicately, I don’t think it shouldn’t be a problem.
Good to know. Thanks for the response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom