85 4Runner - Breathing some new life (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A lot of "Oh look at the bird!" moments apparently. Well 3 months after I first started mocking up the rear bumper, it's welded up. Not stuck to the frame yet, but I at least finally made progress.

20191012_113354.jpg

20191012_120403.jpg

20191012_132040.jpg

...the DA really is the cherry on top.

20191012_153248.jpg

I farmed out the forming of the bumper wing thingys to a buddy. 5 minutes of work for him on a hefty 50+ year old break, was a lot better than me making a relief cut, check, tack, check, weld. I did plenty of that on the 'ol FJ40. Originally I had spaced the bumper 3/8" below the tailgate, but ended up kicking that up to 1/2". Gives a bit more clearance between the rear quarters.

As far as mounting to the frame, I'm torn between welding it directly to the frame (simple) or using similar brackets to all other first gen rears to bolt to the frame. Either way, the side wing things will be braced to the frame, either welded directly or using tube flanges, to prevent them from becoming one with the sheet metal.

Recovery points are on the table ready to be stuck once I figure out mounting.

As well, I've replaced the throttle cable to remedy some sticking I've experienced. The outer shield had melted in a few places and while I don't think that was causing the sticking, it probably didn't help.

Last edited:
With everything being shut down and still owning the truck, I've gotten started on mounting the bumper. I cut up some 2x4x3/16 box tube for the main supports. The reliefs on the left side will accept the 3x3 rear frame crossmember. The ends will be capped and tie up into said crossmember. The right 2" end will be welded directly to the bumper, top side capped and tied into the top of the bumper. There will also be another scab plate on the bottom tying the two together. Just need to cut a couple more scabs and it'll be time to tack everything up for final check.

IMG_20200413_070658-1.jpg

Maybe I'll end up wheeling this after all. Once we're no longer prisoners...

Hey now, voluntarily quantinees

Yeah... I feel like I'm back in high school - $5 is solid gas money... but I'm grounded.

And @hman913 you got skills! Bumper is looking great!

Yeah... I feel like I'm back in high school - $5 is solid gas money... but I'm grounded.

And @hman913 you got skills! Bumper is looking great!

Right? I'm fortunate that I'm considered essential and have a job to get up every morning and drive to the office. I had last Friday off and 3 days at home I nearly went f'ing batty. The only establishments I'm going to anymore are gas stations for my morning Monster and pizza take out. I don't have the patience for anywhere else.

And thank you! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom