80s With Canoes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Land Cruiser plus boat is a prime recipe for fun and adventure.

Make/model: Necky / Cruiser II (it's a giant kayak, obviously, not a canoe). Great boat for touring, trolling and bird photography.

Ease of loading/unloading: Cumbersome when I'm solo. It's heavy. The cleanest move is like a military press, but from the ground -- lifting the boat overhead along the side of the truck. Gravity makes unloading dangerously easy.

228BB3DF-FBFE-4703-B948-E7AC947A37D8.jpeg

FE43D4EC-A93A-44ED-84E9-DFAE16542DB3.jpeg

Last edited:
16’ 1968 Grumman Aluminum
Weight about 40lbs
Prinsu roof rack
Front tie down connected to bumper, same with rear. No movement along washboard dirt roads.
Zona
4494C54D-044F-4CD4-990E-72FDADB55DB0.jpeg
A3FC2D8B-9762-428C-8E23-2182CE5E2521.jpeg

Weight about 40lbs
Prinsu roof rack
Front tie down connected to bumper, same with rear. No movement along washboard dirt roads.
Zona
View attachment 1961508View attachment 1961509
Those Grummans are war horses, literally. Grumman used the same machines that they used to make airplanes in WWII to make the aluminum canoe, which was a significant upgrade, at least in terms of maintenance, over the wood and canvas canoe that was popular before the war.

We call the rocks that are near most of the portage landings in the BWCAW and Quectico "silverbacks" due to the decades of aluminum scrapes that gleam in the sun that they have.

Solid work.

Those Grummans are war horses, literally. Grumman used the same machines that they used to make airplanes in WWII to make the aluminum canoe, which was a significant upgrade, at least in terms of maintenance, over the wood and canvas canoe that was popular before the war.

We call the rocks that are near most of the portage landings in the BWCAW and Quectico "silverbacks" due to the decades of aluminum scrapes that gleam in the sun that they have.

Solid work.
Seen those rocks. A little rainbow flare added from the plastics too.

Seen those rocks. A little rainbow flare added from the plastics too.
Or gel coat. :p

I am an old fashioned wet footer. I like the rubber boot option. I just get the boat close, get the stuff out of it that is packed so there are only two or three bags and then toss one big pack on my back and then lift the boat out so that it really only touches water. The other person carries the other pack and the rods and paddles and makes sure we don't lose the dog. You can cover way more water if you know how to portage efficiently.

That said, I have seen some amazing things on the trail. Watching a marriage implode while hubby drags the $2500 kevlar canoe, fully loaded, of course, while the wifester pouts, down 300 yards worth of rough trail is a sight worth seeing at least once in your life. :hillbilly:

I don't know that much about canoes but I know a little. Is that 16 foot aluminum canoe seriously only 40 lbs?

Weight about 40lbs
Prinsu roof rack

That sounds like kevlar territory to me more.

17' cedar strip homemade job...
View attachment 1961782
That's problematic rope on. You need a belly strap in the event of a sudden cross wind or you might find out what happens when the canoe slips off the side and gets run over and jammed into the underside of your 80. I have seen it develop from behind and I can tell you it's one of the more alarming things to witness, especially on a long and high bridge where there is no shoulder. Pretty sure a sphincter muscle does make an audible whistle under the right circumstances.

Otherwise, great looking tribe, truck and boat. Is that a Jensen inspired design?

I don't know that much about canoes but I know a little. Is that 16 foot aluminum canoe seriously only 40 lbs?

Weight about 40lbs
Prinsu roof rack

That sounds like kevlar territory to me more.

More like 70 lbs or more, depending on the model.

Alumacraft made a lightweight aluminum that was around 50 pounds but they are hard to find and not great hulls for tripping.

That's problematic rope on. You need a belly strap in the event of a sudden cross wind or you might find out what happens when the canoe slips off the side and gets run over and jammed into the underside of your 80. I have seen it develop from behind and I can tell you it's one of the more alarming things to witness, especially on a long and high bridge where there is no shoulder. Pretty sure a sphincter muscle does make an audible whistle under the right circumstances.

Otherwise, great looking tribe, truck and boat. Is that a Jensen inspired design?

Don't judge too hard. It is a quick, 2 mile jog to the lake. Low speeds and back roads gets us there and back without issue. I'm waiting to order the proper roof rack for said belly straps.
Plans came from Bear Mountain Boats: Wooden Canoe, Kayak and Small Boat Kits and Plans
Turned out nice...

Strap to rack/cradles and bow and stern lines. Also leave leave line attached to bumper but tuck under wipers so you don’t forget or drive over a bow line that is attached to your boat.

1C025DBF-7467-47DE-B610-A6926C96C441.jpeg

Strap to rack/cradles and bow and stern lines. Also leave leave line attached to bumper but tuck under wipers so you don’t forget or drive over a bow line that is attached to your boat.

View attachment 1961830
Friend of mine who got learn about composite boat repair the hard way. He also learned about attaching racks to cars and about bow and stern lines.

View attachment 1961830

Damn, that's a Nordkapp. Probably the most famous kayak design of all time.

The straps and rope are stronger than the boat in case anyone was wondering. :p

Probably better the rack gave way and the boat looks OK, which is the money end of the calamity.

Regardless of how many other straps there are when tied to the roof, the bow line is critical. It is the first visual indicator while driving that things are shifting or about to go south :oops:.

You cant see it in the photo but the the kayak needed some serious structural repairs. It turns out that the owner was quick learn at glassing and gel coat matching and now operates his own kayak repair business.

Solid work.

100%, you're right, it's a mini battleship, hahaha. The rivets and sealing of it are so well made I could probably put on my viking hat and start ramming paddle boarders.

Zona

Or gel coat. :p

I am an old fashioned wet footer. I like the rubber boot option. I just get the boat close, get the stuff out of it that is packed so there are only two or three bags and then toss one big pack on my back and then lift the boat out so that it really only touches water. The other person carries the other pack and the rods and paddles and makes sure we don't lose the dog. You can cover way more water if you know how to portage efficiently.

That said, I have seen some amazing things on the trail. Watching a marriage implode while hubby drags the $2500 kevlar canoe, fully loaded, of course, while the wifester pouts, down 300 yards worth of rough trail is a sight worth seeing at least once in your life. :hillbilly:

Same

FB_IMG_1556237260843.jpg
FB_IMG_1556237245889.jpg

I would need to know more about the boat to give you an honest opinion. Who made it? What sort of outrigger does it have and why does it have that? Any clue on a model?

How much are they asking?
16' Seda scout kevlar. Turned out to be in better shape than I thought. Thanks for the tips!
20190428_134323.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom